Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
20 May 2023, 12:36pm
I literally can't remember the last time I had a slurpee. High school no doubt, but even at my most "who gives a fuck what I'm putting in my body" it just never appealed.

Guess I just always preferred the treat the 90s invented: the otter pop 😎
Hell yeah, Sir Isaac Lime FTW.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
I literally can't remember the last time I had a slurpee. High school no doubt, but even at my most "who gives a fuck what I'm putting in my body" it just never appealed.

I feel like the Slurpee is a lesser Icee. Perhaps I was just scarred from the first slurpee I ever had being that awful Coke one.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
22 May 2023, 2:54pm
Flex wrote:

I feel like the Slurpee is a lesser Icee. Perhaps I was just scarred from the first slurpee I ever had being that awful Coke one.
I've never had an Icee. Only know of them from old ads in comic books. Were they specific to a particular franchise?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 May 2023, 2:59pm
matedog wrote:
Flex wrote:

I've never had an Icee. Only know of them from old ads in comic books. Were they specific to a particular franchise?
I just know them from movie theaters. Certain chains have different flavors (delicious white cherry at AMC theaters). I think they have them outside of CA, but I don't remember having them in Virginia.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
22 May 2023, 4:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Flex wrote:

I just know them from movie theaters. Certain chains have different flavors (delicious white cherry at AMC theaters). I think they have them outside of CA, but I don't remember having them in Virginia.
We had them at the roller rink in West Seattle.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Flex wrote:

I recall Icees, I want to say Stop & Go sold them here in California, kind of a competitor to 7-11 and the Slurpee.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Sparky wrote:
22 May 2023, 5:01pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Flex wrote:

I recall Icees, I want to say Stop & Go sold them here in California, kind of a competitor to 7-11 and the Slurpee.
We have both the Icee and the Slurpee around here. Honestly, I rate them about the same.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

My shitty town didn't get a 7-11 until, I'm gonna say, 1985, and originally the slurpee and big gulp machines were behind the counter, so the flunkee had to make them for you. I can't help but think that they thought we were a bunch trailer trash yahoos who wouldn't know how to fill our own cup. Which, well, maybe there's something to that. By the late 80s, tho, the machines were off to the side and they got abused like everywhere else.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

WestwayKid wrote:
22 May 2023, 5:06pm
Sparky wrote:
22 May 2023, 5:01pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

We have both the Icee and the Slurpee around here. Honestly, I rate them about the same.
Yep, the recipe for frozen water with artificial flavor & color is probably not a well kept trade secret. :mrgreen:
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

I think Icee is a separate, stand-alone product - I recall Circle-K stores having them. Slurpee is exclusive to 7/11.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

gkbill wrote:
22 May 2023, 5:39pm
Hello,

I think Icee is a separate, stand-alone product - I recall Circle-K stores having them. Slurpee is exclusive to 7/11.
Wawa sells Icees. I've also seen them in Walmart and Target.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 May 2023, 5:09pm
My shitty town didn't get a 7-11 until, I'm gonna say, 1985, and originally the slurpee and big gulp machines were behind the counter, so the flunkee had to make them for you. I can't help but think that they thought we were a bunch trailer trash yahoos who wouldn't know how to fill our own cup. Which, well, maybe there's something to that. By the late 80s, tho, the machines were off to the side and they got abused like everywhere else.
When I was a kid, there was a 7-11 next to the bus-stop outside school. At 3:30, with about 200 kids waiting for the next 207, it was always such a madhouse in there and I suspect 90% just took a free slurpee every day.
When the bus did arrive, there would be a stampede and it would be like being in the middle of an ICP concert but with slurpee instead of faygo flying everywhere.
I must be getting old because my first thought now is how filthy those machines must be.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

oliver wrote:
23 May 2023, 11:09am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
When I was a kid, there was a 7-11 next to the bus-stop outside school. At 3:30, with about 200 kids waiting for the next 207, it was always such a madhouse in there and I suspect 90% just took a free slurpee every day.
When the bus did arrive, there would be a stampede and it would be like being in the middle of an ICP concert but with slurpee instead of faygo flying everywhere.
I must be getting old because my first thought now is how filthy those machines must be.
:lol:

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
It seems like a lot of 7-Elevens still go with the food behind the counter concept, where you have to ask the guy behind the counter to get your Taquito for you versus just grabbing it off the roller grill yourself.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
23 May 2023, 1:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
It seems like a lot of 7-Elevens still go with the food behind the counter concept, where you have to ask the guy behind the counter to get your Taquito for you versus just grabbing it off the roller grill yourself.
Depends on the neighbourhood, I think. The scuzzier the neighbourhood, the more likely the hot food is behind the counter.