Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I actually managed to Google sleuth a bit and tracked down the baby she abandoned. Based on her job, she's done well for herself. But I can't help but wonder how much she knows of her mother's notoriety in the anti-drug literature of the 1950s. What did her dad ever tell her about the mom she never knew?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Bankrobber
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Bankrobber »

I'm touched you care so much about this poor woman, I really mean that.
I'm so punk, I don't even take my leather jacket off when it catches fire. Which it does frequently, because of how fucking punk I am.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

So, I seemingly gave someone a birthday present this morning. About quarter after six, some young guy comes to the door, a bit panicked. He saw the light on and took a chance. He said he'd locked his keys and wallet in his car and needed $40 to pay for a tow. He told me his name (or a name) and where he worked, and that he was at a friend's place who headed to the airport early, so he was stuck. It didn't strike me as an obvious lie given it was such an odd time of day. I weighed things and decided that I'd err on the side of kindness and went to the nearby convenience store with him and withdrew $40 (I rarely have cash on me). He headed down in the direction of nearby garage. Maybe he'll come back in a bit with my cash, maybe not. As of 1.30, not. Oh well. :meh:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2019, 1:32pm
So, I seemingly gave someone a birthday present this morning. About quarter after six, some young guy comes to the door, a bit panicked. He saw the light on and took a chance. He said he'd locked his keys and wallet in his car and needed $40 to pay for a tow. He told me his name (or a name) and where he worked, and that he was at a friend's place who headed to the airport early, so he was stuck. It didn't strike me as an obvious lie given it was such an odd time of day. I weighed things and decided that I'd err on the side of kindness and went to the nearby convenience store with him and withdrew $40 (I rarely have cash on me). He headed down in the direction of nearby garage. Maybe he'll come back in a bit with my cash, maybe not. As of 1.30, not. Oh well. :meh:
was he a Nigerian Prince?
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
20 May 2019, 1:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
was he a Nigerian Prince?
That would have been a giveaway. He was a Sudanese prince.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'm confused, are you expecting the money back? Wouldn't he use the $40 to pay for the tow and be on his way?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Look on the bright side. At least he didn't murder you!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
20 May 2019, 1:49pm
I'm confused, are you expecting the money back? Wouldn't he use the $40 to pay for the tow and be on his way?
He said he would once he was able to get to his wallet. It's only $40, so I'm not stewing about it, but it's disappointing if he thought he needed to lie or that he decided afterwards to laugh it off.
JennyB wrote:
20 May 2019, 1:54pm
That's what the Boss said when I texted her afterwards—she thought I could have been mugged. Didn't cross my mind for a second. C'mon, the guy was white. :shifty:

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2019, 2:01pm
matedog wrote:
He said he would once he was able to get to his wallet. It's only $40, so I'm not stewing about it, but it's disappointing if he thought he needed to lie or that he decided afterwards to laugh it off.
JennyB wrote:
That's what the Boss said when I texted her afterwards—she thought I could have been mugged. Didn't cross my mind for a second. C'mon, the guy was white. :shifty:
Does he have your addess? I'd like to think he would mail it to you.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
20 May 2019, 2:04pm
He came to my door like a stray pet looking for food, so he sort of knows.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2019, 2:01pm
matedog wrote:
JennyB wrote:
ALL THE MORE LIKELY TO MURDER YOU.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2019, 2:07pm
Heston wrote:
The more I think about it, the more I think this should have been in the Twilight Zone thread. I'm sure I've seen this episode.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
20 May 2019, 2:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2019, 2:07pm
Heston wrote:
The more I think about it, the more I think this should have been in the Twilight Zone thread. I'm sure I've seen this episode.
The one where William Shatner overacts? That's a good one.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
20 May 2019, 2:36pm
ALL THE MORE LIKELY TO MURDER YOU.
I'm white, he's white—there was no chance of violence. :twitch:

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I like the fact that you did it and I hope he comes back.