Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by Mimi »

I find these channels fascinating.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Getting back to Mimi's earlier post, since covid, I basically dress in athleisure all the time. Even when going into the office, I wear leggings. People are just generally more casual these days. But I don't wear pjs, unless I'm walking Scout.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I've become a bit obsessed with a logic puzzle game of late, Futoshiki. It's the same principle as Sudoku, but on a smaller grid and with an extra twist in limiting what numbers can go where. Very good for concentrating the mind.
https://www.8bgames.com/futoshiki/
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 9:33am
I've become a bit obsessed with a logic puzzle game of late, Futoshiki. It's the same principle as Sudoku, but on a smaller grid and with an extra twist in limiting what numbers can go where. Very good for concentrating the mind.
The Guardian newspaper carries those every Saturday but haven't got into it yet. At first glance seems tricky to work out the first move. Sandwich sudoku is my bag at the minute.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 9:50am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The Guardian newspaper carries those every Saturday but haven't got into it yet. At first glance seems tricky to work out the first move. Sandwich sudoku is my bag at the minute.
It's a weird puzzle in that I'll play the intermediate or hard versions and sometimes the hard comes to me right away while the intermediate just goes nowhere. Whether the board sets up nicely or something just clicks, I dunno. But I enjoy the quieting grinding thru of eliminating possibilities until the answers develop.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 10:05am
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
It's a weird puzzle in that I'll play the intermediate or hard versions and sometimes the hard comes to me right away while the intermediate just goes nowhere. Whether the board sets up nicely or something just clicks, I dunno. But I enjoy the quieting grinding thru of eliminating possibilities until the answers develop.
Must admit it is a little bit daunting just looking at an empty grid and wondering where the hell you start. At least sandwich sudoku gives you a couple of digits to ease you in. Will have a go at one later and see how it grabs me.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 10:21am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Must admit it is a little bit daunting just looking at an empty grid and wondering where the hell you start. At least sandwich sudoku gives you a couple of digits to ease you in. Will have a go at one later and see how it grabs me.
For initial elimination of possibilities, anything to the the left of < or right of > can't be a 5 (because that's the largest number). Likewise, anything to the right of < or left of > can't be a 1 (smallest number). You have to work on those squares connected to < and > first, to start eliminating certain options. It tends to be really slow going at first but once around half the board is filled, it gets really quick. If you are interested in picking up the basics, play the easy version at the above link. I did several games of that to teach myself the basics of what to look for.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 10:31am
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
For initial elimination of possibilities, anything to the the left of < or right of > can't be a 5 (because that's the largest number). Likewise, anything to the right of < or left of > can't be a 1 (smallest number). You have to work on those squares connected to < and > first, to start eliminating certain options. It tends to be really slow going at first but once around half the board is filled, it gets really quick. If you are interested in picking up the basics, play the easy version at the above link. I did several games of that to teach myself the basics of what to look for.
Yeah i can see the starting point is deducing where the 5s and 1s can and can't go. Just looked at latest guardian one which is medium/intermediate and quickly spotted an opening 1 but that doesn't immediately open up any further definites. So will try a couple of easy ones just to get the hang of things. Good game for sure and nice addition to my customary crossword/sudoku mix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 12:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Yeah i can see the starting point is deducing where the 5s and 1s can and can't go. Just looked at latest guardian one which is medium/intermediate and quickly spotted an opening 1 but that doesn't immediately open up any further definites. So will try a couple of easy ones just to get the hang of things. Good game for sure and nice addition to my customary crossword/sudoku mix.
I'm sure I'll get tired of it in time, but for now it's mesmerizing me.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 1:05pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It definitely beats wordle anyway which held my attention for about 2 minutes.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 1:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 1:05pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

It definitely beats wordle anyway which held my attention for about 2 minutes.
Never got into that. More into logic problems.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Why the fuck is a new box of tissues such a pain in the ass? I always rip up and destroy the first three or so sheets just trying to get the goddamn thing unpacked and ready for use.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 6:16pm
Why the fuck is a new box of tissues such a pain in the ass? I always rip up and destroy the first three or so sheets just trying to get the goddamn thing unpacked and ready for use.

Hulk Smash

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 6:32pm
Kory wrote:

Hulk Smash
The fact that almost everything is some goddamn ordeal definitely puts me in Hulk mode more than I'd like.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 6:32pm
Kory wrote:

Hulk Smash
Don't make my nose run. You wouldn't like me with a runny nose.