Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 9:59pm
I'm not someone to tout our generation, but Schoolhouse Rock and early era Sesame Street was the best shit for teaching kids.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 7:19am
Mimi wrote:
I'm not someone to tout our generation, but Schoolhouse Rock and early era Sesame Street was the best shit for teaching kids.
I agree. I bought a video of a bunch of the school house rocks for my daughter when she was little. The grammar ones were excellent.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

revbob wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 8:56am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
I agree. I bought a video of a bunch of the school house rocks for my daughter when she was little. The grammar ones were excellent.
I had gotten a vhs *cough* for my young niece and watched that shit constantly. I tried grad school and was sitting in a theatre history class and the topic of early America came up and the prof asked who was king of England at the time. I said George the III and one of my classmates said I was so smart. I said, no, I learned it from Schoolhouse Rock.

It's a great way to learn, especially about adverbs.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
I was legit angry when I saw a dvd set of 1970s Sesame Street that carried a warning sticker that it was meant for adult nostalgia, not education of current kids (or something to that effect). That shit was flat-out good and still sticks with me. If I have to count in my head starting from 1, this song always starts up.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 9:03am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
I was legit angry when I saw a dvd set of 1970s Sesame Street that carried a warning sticker that it was meant for adult nostalgia, not education of current kids (or something to that effect). That shit was flat-out good and still sticks with me. If I have to count in my head starting from 1, this song always starts up.
I think above all it helped to teach kids not to be assholes. Of course with some people it didn't stick.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 9:20am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 9:03am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
I think above all it helped to teach kids not to be assholes. Of course with some people it didn't stick.
This is true. That part of its hippie roots is worth celebrating.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I didn't think people actually bought things from Sharper Image. I thought it existed solely for 80s yuppies to masturbate to their catalogue. Who knew?!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

JennyB wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 11:30am
I didn't think people actually bought things from Sharper Image. I thought it existed solely for 80s yuppies to masturbate to their catalogue. Who knew?!
Yes, that does describe Doc.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 11:50am
JennyB wrote:
That only describes a facet of me. I’m very complex. :naughty:

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 11:52am
Flex wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Jesus Christ, this guy.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 12:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 11:52am
Flex wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Jesus Christ, this guy.
Why thank you!

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

I'm a pretty casual dresser even in public. Sweatpants are me. However, I shower every morning and comb my hair (it's short so who would know anyway.) So, anyway, I did some early morning shopping and spied a young woman still wearing pajamas with a serious case of bed-head. Am I going to hell for judging her? 🤣

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
23 Nov 2022, 11:26am
I'm a pretty casual dresser even in public. Sweatpants are me. However, I shower every morning and comb my hair (it's short so who would know anyway.) So, anyway, I did some early morning shopping and spied a young woman still wearing pajamas with a serious case of bed-head. Am I going to hell for judging her? 🤣
I make no bones about being slovenly in my dress. I still dress the way I didn’t in my teens. Anything better feels false. That said, yeah, perhaps hypocritically I do judge people who wear pajamas (or, I’m sorry, sweats) out in public. I’ve tried to call out The Boss for wearing sweats when we’ve gone out and she just stared me down.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Nov 2022, 11:35am
Mimi wrote:
I make no bones about being slovenly in my dress. I still dress the way I didn’t in my teens. Anything better feels false. That said, yeah, perhaps hypocritically I do judge people who wear pajamas (or, I’m sorry, sweats) out in public. I’ve tried to call out The Boss for wearing sweats when we’ve gone out and she just stared me down.
Sweatpants have gotten so much better looking than they used to be. I have a few pair that if I wasn't wearing sneakers you'd think I was wearing dress pants. But, yeah, it is hypocritical of me. Pajamas, though? A line must be drawn somewhere.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Mimi wrote:
23 Nov 2022, 11:57am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Nov 2022, 11:35am
Mimi wrote:
Sweatpants have gotten so much better looking than they used to be. I have a few pair that if I wasn't wearing sneakers you'd think I was wearing dress pants. But, yeah, it is hypocritical of me. Pajamas, though? A line must be drawn somewhere.
I'm with Mimi (sorry we cant all wear cardigans and tweed jackets with elbow patches and a pocket to put our pipe Mr College Professor). Sweats in public are fine, depending on the setting, like going to the store, for a walk, a few drinks at the pub, grabbing a coffee etc. I wouldnt go to a restaurant in them but other than that nothing taboo comes to mind. Pajamas? No. I've seen plenty of people at hotels come down for breakfast in pajamas and bed head and that gets a hard no from me. That said I also often see men/women at the grocery store wearing pajamas, sometimes slippers too. Usually younger able bodied types. I dont get it.