Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 8:02am
I would have gotten a perfect score but
AN perfect score, dummy.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 11:44am
An unicorn just sounds stupid. She would have also made a good Nazi. She was just following orders!
She screamed like a movie Nazi. The other memory I have of her—why do I hold on to the shitty ones?—was when I was even younger. Probably grade 2 age (what is that, 14?). She was my elementary school's main librarian, and I had several books that I was going to borrow. As I approached the sign out desk, I stumbled a bit and a couple books fell to the ground. She glared at me and said, "That was smart, wasn't it?" Who the fuck does that to a little kid?
tepista wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 11:52am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 8:02am
I would have gotten a perfect score but
AN perfect score, dummy.
Nazi sympathizer!
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

I would have made fun of you if you were 14 in grade 2.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 12:52pm
I would have made fun of you if you were 14 in grade 2.
:disshame: I was doing my best. It's not my fault the alphabet has so many letters.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Well, Doc, at least you can be comforted by the fact that she is likely dead now.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 1:36pm
Well, Doc, at least you can be comforted by the fact that she is likely dead now.
I hope so, but this was only 40 years ago, so she could be a miserable monster in a nursing home. I did some Googling but couldn't find her one way or another.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 1:43pm
JennyB wrote:
I hope so, but this was only 40 years ago, so she could be a miserable monster in a nursing home. I did some Googling but couldn't find her one way or another.
It truly is amazing how we hold onto the trauma inflicted by terrible teachers. I had some wonderful teachers as well, but I don't credit them when something goes right. I do, however, always find a way to blame the bad ones when something goes wrong.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

There's a Married w/ Children ep where Al goes to return a 25 year overdue library book only to find the old bat who tormented him as a kid still works there.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0642284/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 2:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
It truly is amazing how we hold onto the trauma inflicted by terrible teachers. I had some wonderful teachers as well, but I don't credit them when something goes right. I do, however, always find a way to blame the bad ones when something goes wrong.
Yeah, offhand, I can only think of one teacher who was really fantastic and inspirational, my grade 11 or 12 English teacher, who encouraged a lot of critical thinking and for us to explore our interests. He also had a neat grading system. At the beginning of the year, you decided what grade you wanted and would have to do the requisite amount of work. Getting an A required more reading and writing than a B, which was more than a C, which was more than a D. It was a great way of letting people work to their own level and ambition. He also let me do a classroom presentation on the Grundy incident, which meant I got to swear in class without getting my knuckles rapped. Minor victories.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
There are tons of hateful, stupid people that shouldn't be teachers, and god knows why they chose it. I know people from high school that went on to become teachers and it makes me fear for the nation's youth big time.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 12:42pm
JennyB wrote:
An unicorn just sounds stupid. She would have also made a good Nazi. She was just following orders!
She screamed like a movie Nazi. The other memory I have of her—why do I hold on to the shitty ones?—was when I was even younger. Probably grade 2 age (what is that, 14?). She was my elementary school's main librarian, and I had several books that I was going to borrow. As I approached the sign out desk, I stumbled a bit and a couple books fell to the ground. She glared at me and said, "That was smart, wasn't it?" Who the fuck does that to a little kid?
What does physical coordination have to do with intelligence, you fucking old bag? That's what you should have said.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 3:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 12:42pm
JennyB wrote:
What does physical coordination have to do with intelligence, you fucking old bag? That's what you should have said.
Spider-man didn't teach me to swear.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kory wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 3:15pm
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
There are tons of hateful, stupid people that shouldn't be teachers, and god knows why they chose it. I know people from high school that went on to become teachers and it makes me fear for the nation's youth big time.
I've had this talk with my girlfriend - who is a teacher. She feels that the overall quality of teaching has gone down because it's no longer grabbing the best and brightest and there are many people who go into it because it seems like an easy occupation. She also feels that many people just lack the basic skills needed to teach - empathy, understanding, and so on. I'm probably doing an awful job relating what she told me, but hopefully the point is somewhat coming across.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 3:19pm
Kory wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 3:15pm
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
I've had this talk with my girlfriend - who is a teacher. She feels that the overall quality of teaching has gone down because it's no longer grabbing the best and brightest and there are many people who go into it because it seems like an easy occupation. She also feels that many people just lack the basic skills needed to teach - empathy, understanding, and so on. I'm probably doing an awful job relating what she told me, but hopefully the point is somewhat coming across.
No, that's totally what's happening, if the people I know are any indication. I have no idea why they think it's easy—I suppose they liken it to babysitting or something, but it's doing a huge disservice to the upcoming generations. A conspiracy theorist might say that the government wants a bunch of dummies coming out of school, I dunno...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 3:19pm
At her last university, which had an Education college, the Boss had a number of ed students in her classes. Apart from generally having weaker scholastic skills, she was bothered that their primary interest in being a teacher was that they liked kids, as opposed to liking learning and mentoring. So many young women (and they were almost always women) seemed to be confusing a desire to have kids for a career that involved kids.