Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by Flex »

There was a brief moment in time when young-flex wasn't fully into punk rock and had some interest in more hippie aesthetic and I had an r crumb keep on truckin shirt.

I know he's a grade a piece of shit, but I admit to liking a fair bit of his work. I have some artwork he's done for old time and blues comps and so forth.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Saw this tweet and it reminded me of how much a truly out there bonkers show Magnum truly was, in an hilarious but not so good way.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 3:15pm
Saw this tweet and it reminded me of how much a truly out there bonkers show Magnum truly was, in an hilarious but not so good way.

Now I wish I'd watched it as a kid. :sad:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 3:34pm
Low Down Low wrote:

That clip is merely the tip of the iceberg. I think my favourite was when the eccentric (being the Brit, how could he be anything other?) Higgins character, the guy cooing the parrot, bangs his head during a party and spends the entire episode wandering the estate, quoting random passages from Shakespeare at guests. I loved all the cop and private dick shows back then but, man, that one was really out there!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 3:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

That clip is merely the tip of the iceberg. I think my favourite was when the eccentric (being the Brit, how could he be anything other?) Higgins character, the guy cooing the parrot, bangs his head during a party and spends the entire episode wandering the estate, quoting random passages from Shakespeare at guests. I loved all the cop and private dick shows back then but, man, that one was really out there!
I had no idea it was so loopy. I thought it was a standard PI show, with Hawaii being the "unique" quality.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 4:33pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

I had no idea it was so loopy. I thought it was a standard PI show, with Hawaii being the "unique" quality.
It might just be that i only remember the loopy bits, but it definitely did try to trade on giving a unique twist to the traditional private dick show. 'Nam flashbacks was another popular device, often seemingly random with little plot purpose at all. We had 2 tv channels at the time, if it was on it was our shit!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 5:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

It might just be that i only remember the loopy bits, but it definitely did try to trade on giving a unique twist to the traditional private dick show. 'Nam flashbacks was another popular device, often seemingly random with little plot purpose at all. We had 2 tv channels at the time, if it was on it was our shit!
Kids these days don't appreciate what the fuck you'd willingly watch when you only had two or three channels. Canada had shows about a nomadic German Shepherd and the world of recovering rogue logs, and they lasted well over ten years.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

[quote="Dr. Medulla" post_id=653231 time=1659215291 user_id=54]
[quote="Low Down Low" post_id=653230 time=1659214874 user_id=1843]
[quote="Dr. Medulla" post_id=653229 time=1659213215 user_id=54]
[quote="Low Down Low" post_id=653228 time=1659210842 user_id=1843]
[quote="Dr. Medulla" post_id=653227 time=1659209653 user_id=54]

[/quote]

That clip is merely the tip of the iceberg. I think my favourite was when the eccentric (being the Brit, how could he be anything other?) Higgins character, the guy cooing the parrot, bangs his head during a party and spends the entire episode wandering the estate, quoting random passages from Shakespeare at guests. I loved all the cop and private dick shows back then but, man, that one was [i]really[/i] out there!
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Kids these days don't appreciate what the fuck you'd willingly watch when you only had two or three channels. Canada had shows about a nomadic German Shepherd and the world of recovering rogue logs, and they lasted well over ten years.
[/quote]

Beachcombers? We had that, did the job. I gave up years ago trying to convince nieces and nephews that, actually, our 80s childhood, all in all, was pretty damn agreeable. Once you explain the tv situation, it's basically a hopeless task. No way they're even buying it for a millisecond l!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 5:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 5:08pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Beachcombers? We had that, did the job. I gave up years ago trying to convince nieces and nephews that, actually, our 80s childhood, all in all, was pretty damn agreeable. Once you explain the tv situation, it's basically a hopeless task. No way they're even buying it for a millisecond l!
Limited choice did have the effect of resulting in more people having a shared experience, something more akin to a common culture.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 6:00pm
Low Down Low wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 5:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 5:08pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Limited choice did have the effect of resulting in more people having a shared experience, something more akin to a common culture.
Yep. And i remain somewhat partial to terrestrial tv and the notion of fixed schedules. Old habits sometimes die hard, i guess.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

There is some "celebrity husband swap" show on the TV in my office break room. The premise appears to be that 2 women swap their male celeb husbands for a week and hilarity ensues. The episode on right now features Alan Thicke and Gilbert Gottfried, who are both dead. You'd think the network (FYI) would pull that episode out of circulation.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

WestwayKid wrote:
01 Aug 2022, 12:09pm
There is some "celebrity husband swap" show on the TV in my office break room. The premise appears to be that 2 women swap their male celeb husbands for a week and hilarity ensues. The episode on right now features Alan Thicke and Gilbert Gottfried, who are both dead. You'd think the network (FYI) would pull that episode out of circulation.
So they pulled a Weekend at Bernie’s? I guess with two it would be “Weekend at Bernies.”
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
01 Aug 2022, 12:22pm
WestwayKid wrote:
01 Aug 2022, 12:09pm
So they pulled a Weekend at Bernie’s? I guess with two it would be “Weekend at Bernies.”
Maybe it was a "Beyond the Grave" edition.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

That Magnum clip was bonkers

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Screenshot_20220803-215602_Instagram.jpg
PJ Harvey needs to get back to making music.