Star Trek

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Star Trek

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 6:45pm
I tried Voyager I just found it boring as hell.
Voyager is a weird one because the premise was basically good. It left things wide open for storytelling, with limited connection to the rest of the ST universe. Whether it was a cast that never came together or the producers' insistence on, in fact, binding the show to the rest of the ST universe, but it never found its voice.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 6:56pm
revbob wrote:
Voyager is a weird one because the premise was basically good. It left things wide open for storytelling, with limited connection to the rest of the ST universe. Whether it was a cast that never came together or the producers' insistence on, in fact, binding the show to the rest of the ST universe, but it never found its voice.
Yeah I guess you're right but maybe that was a problem for the writers. I also felt the cast was generally pretty weak though.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 7:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Yeah I guess you're right but maybe that was a problem for the writers. I also felt the cast was generally pretty weak though.
I'm of the opinion that it was the primarily cast. The only one who stood out was Robert Picardo as the doctor. Well, 36 of D also stood out in profile.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 7:17pm
revbob wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 7:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
I'm of the opinion that it was the primarily cast. The only one who stood out was Robert Picardo as the doctor. Well, 36 of D also stood out in profile.
Oh yeah Jeri Ryan. But yeah weak characters overall.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

With Voyager, I think the popular telling is that the network came down pretty quickly that it had to be more in the TNG mold than the original vision which would have wound up being more akin to what they ended up doing with Battlestar Galactica.

Finished the first season of discovery last night, really liked it. Definitely fits my theory that this is about rejecting cynicism and actively embracing a more utopian vision, which is cool.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Didn't watch any of Discovery's second season, but see that the season finale looks to remedy the prequel problem with a bit of a Voyager solution. I might give next season a shot.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 2:12pm
Didn't watch any of Discovery's second season, but see that the season finale looks to remedy the prequel problem with a bit of a Voyager solution. I might give next season a shot.
I'm partway through season two - I had to take a break, not because I wasn't enjoying it but because I can only tolerate binging so much television at a time - and it's a definite step up in quality so far. What I've sniffed out about how the season ends seems like its make season three really exciting.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 2:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 2:12pm
I'm partway through season two - I had to take a break, not because I wasn't enjoying it but because I can only tolerate binging so much television at a time - and it's a definite step up in quality so far. What I've sniffed out about how the season ends seems like its make season three really exciting.
I'll wait for you to finish season two and give a wrap-up before deciding whether to on-demand it later this summer.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex

Post by Flex »

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
16 May 2019, 8:18am
Garak was gay? I never read his character that way. He just came off as elitist to me.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 May 2019, 8:26am
Flex wrote:
16 May 2019, 8:18am
Garak was gay? I never read his character that way. He just came off as elitist to me.
If that's what people say I can accept that but didnt obviously come across as I recall. Haven't seen it since it went off the air. I'd have to watch again with that in mind.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Having not seen the doc, I can't tell if the response was supposed to be serious or flip. Maybe both.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
16 May 2019, 4:49pm
Having not seen the doc, I can't tell if the response was supposed to be serious or flip. Maybe both.
Hadn't even thought it might have been a joke. Damn my literal reading of things!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flipping the channels and come across the Voyager episode that introduces 36 of D. It also introduces bad guys Species 8675309, who ended up being one of those things that annoyed me about the whole series. Okay, sure, it makes sense that the Borg would given them a boring catalogue name. But the Voyager people keep using that name the rest of the way whenever meeting them, instead of giving them a name like the Fuckfaces or whatever. It's bad writing to have us think they wouldn't come up with a non-Borg name for them.