Star Trek

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Star Trek

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 9:48pm
Not the first episode, only doughy Data. But fat Riker is in the trailers, so he's coming up, hopefully still sitting down like a freak. And Picard has a dog named Number One, which I assume is because Riker was Picard's dog.
i'm in
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Flex wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 10:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Not the first episode, only doughy Data. But fat Riker is in the trailers, so he's coming up, hopefully still sitting down like a freak. And Picard has a dog named Number One, which I assume is because Riker was Picard's dog.
i'm in
If fat Riker screws fat Troi then I’ll be horny like it’s 1995.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 11:20pm
Flex wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 10:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
i'm in
If fat Riker screws fat Troi then I’ll be horny like it’s 1995.
I had a boner for Dr Krusher back in the day. She was an OG MILF.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Episode 2 of Picard. For those thinking this was some kind of sequel to TNG, nuh-uh, Its spiritual ancestor is DS9. The Federation is as corrupt and shallowly self-interested as any of the big bad aliens from Trek lore. This episode wasn't as impactful, but I appreciated that given how quickly the first one sped along.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

It's curious to read reviews of Picard episodes that basically approve of this more rueful Jean-Luc, someone who questions the certainty of his ideals and actions in the past and seeks to atone, yet how many people hated that same theme in the Star Wars sequels with Luke. It's not a perfect parallel by any means, but we do have the confident and noble hero in old age regarding his efforts with some regret and bitterness at how the larger universe has gone to shit in part from his failure, and seeks to atone in some way.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Boddington
Junco Partner

Post by Boddington »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 11:37am
It's curious to read reviews of Picard episodes that basically approve of this more rueful Jean-Luc, someone who questions the certainty of his ideals and actions in the past and seeks to atone, yet how many people hated that same theme in the Star Wars sequels with Luke. It's not a perfect parallel by any means, but we do have the confident and noble hero in old age regarding his efforts with some regret and bitterness at how the larger universe has gone to shit in part from his failure, and seeks to atone in some way.
Slightly off-topic with the thread but on-topic with your comment, I always read a large portion of the folks complaining about Luke also took issue with a female lead and an african-american lead character. I think their focus on Luke was an attempt to justify that they didn't see themselves represented as the sole heroes of the narrative anymore based on some of the comments Mark Hamill voiced about how he didn't personally agree with Rian Johnson's vision of the character. Not that Hammill would agree with the sexism or racism that they espoused, mind.

They don't complain about Picard because, fundamentally, they don't have a problem because a bunch of white people remain the lead. Maybe that's being a bit too harsh, but that's at least my read of how the internet generally reacts to these things.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Boddington wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 8:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 11:37am
Slightly off-topic with the thread but on-topic with your comment, I always read a large portion of the folks complaining about Luke also took issue with a female lead and an african-american lead character. I think their focus on Luke was an attempt to justify that they didn't see themselves represented as the sole heroes of the narrative anymore based on some of the comments Mark Hamill voiced about how he didn't personally agree with Rian Johnson's vision of the character. Not that Hammill would agree with the sexism or racism that they espoused, mind.

They don't complain about Picard because, fundamentally, they don't have a problem because a bunch of white people remain the lead. Maybe that's being a bit too harsh, but that's at least my read of how the internet generally reacts to these things.
I suspect you're right (or at least mostly right). Less a white hero displaying remorse for failure than him also being displaced as the hero by “artificial” and “pandering” characters.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I made this stupid thing:
Attachments
jordache-laforge-01.png
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
02 Jul 2020, 2:19pm
I made this stupid thing:
Okay, I snickered.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Watching Discovery.

Why does every version of Star Trek redo the Klingons ? They look different in each one.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

revbob wrote:
27 Oct 2020, 10:02pm
Watching Discovery.

Why does every version of Star Trek redo the Klingons ? They look different in each one.
I don’t know the answer but is the series any good?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

laxman wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 2:51am
revbob wrote:
27 Oct 2020, 10:02pm
Watching Discovery.

I don’t know the answer but is the series any good?
Enjoying it so far but I anticipated a few of the plot twists. Sonequa Martin-Green is a great screen presence.

Back to the Klingons, Worf would never pass as a Klingon in this series.