Star Trek

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Star Trek

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Very much agreed about the Klingon re-design. A solution to a non-problem.

We hated the first season and haven't gone back. Supposedly things went in a different direction in the second season and I'm sure someday we'll watch it, but that first was such a downer that it killed any interest.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 6:31am

We hated the first season and haven't gone back. Supposedly things went in a different direction in the second season and I'm sure someday we'll watch it, but that first was such a downer that it killed any interest.
I found it available and pulled it up a few weeks back. My son said "oh not not Nerd Trek" or something to that effect. He's been the most engrossed of the 3 of us, or certainly more than I. I like it but if I never saw more Id probably be fine at this point.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 8:39am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I found it available and pulled it up a few weeks back. My son said "oh not not Nerd Trek" or something to that effect. He's been the most engrossed of the 3 of us, or certainly more than I. I like it but if I never saw more Id probably be fine at this point.
If you're not taunting him with “Nerd!” you're failing as a parent.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 8:55am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

That would stress the relationship with my wife further. No matter how much time she's lived in the US (most of her life) there are certain things that will always be foreign and unacceptable to her. I tend to joke around too much from her perspective yet it was one of the things that she initially found attractive. Nerd is a badge of honor for her and hates to see it used in a derogatory way.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 9:38am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

That would stress the relationship with my wife further. No matter how much time she's lived in the US (most of her life) there are certain things that will always be foreign and unacceptable to her. I tend to joke around too much from her perspective yet it was one of the things that she initially found attractive. Nerd is a badge of honor for her and hates to see it used in a derogatory way.
Yikes. My heart goes out to you. Being a smart-ass is a vital trait.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 10:27am
revbob wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 9:38am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yikes. My heart goes out to you. Being a smart-ass is a vital trait.
For me too.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I like Discovery, really good cast (especially once Tig Notaro comes on board) and interesting stories. The second season is definitely better than the first (not that many treks haven't had pretty rocky seasons 1+ tho, so I actually think Discovery may be performing above the trendline so far, ha). I think maybe I've said it here before, but I look at each of the first two seasons as essentially an extended take on a "classic" TOS story - the first season being a classic "captain gone mad/rogue" tale with some sprinklings of other TOS stories thrown in for good measure. A lot of fun when you look at it that way. I'm really excited for the new season - I'll probably re-up on CBS All Access once the spooky season is over to watch that and the Trek cartoon.

The klingon redesign I took as almost an homage to the now-standard trait of redesigning with every show. I think I have this right:

TOS - original design
The Motion Picture - new design
TNG - Yet another new design
Treks III-VI - lightly changed versions of TNG's design
DS9/VGR/Rest of the movies - TNG design
ENT - tried to explain all this shit away, badly
DIS - another new design

lol, I love it.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 11:39am
I like Discovery, really good cast (especially once Tig Notaro comes on board) and interesting stories. The second season is definitely better than the first (not that many treks haven't had pretty rocky seasons 1+ tho, so I actually think Discovery may be performing above the trendline so far, ha). I think maybe I've said it here before, but I look at each of the first two seasons as essentially an extended take on a "classic" TOS story - the first season being a classic "captain gone mad/rogue" tale with some sprinklings of other TOS stories thrown in for good measure. A lot of fun when you look at it that way. I'm really excited for the new season - I'll probably re-up on CBS All Access once the spooky season is over to watch that and the Trek cartoon.

The klingon redesign I took as almost an homage to the now-standard trait of redesigning with every show. I think I have this right:

TOS - original design
The Motion Picture - new design
TNG - Yet another new design
Treks III-VI - lightly changed versions of TNG's design
DS9/VGR/Rest of the movies - TNG design
ENT - tried to explain all this shit away, badly
DIS - another new design

lol, I love it.
Fair enough but I hate the ever changing Klingon design.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Flex

Post by Flex »

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The Boss decided we should rewatch Picard. A couple episodes in, but I think I like it even more than the first time. Part of it, of course, is that Patrick Stewart is always someone whose side you want to be on, but it's satisfying that, in the end, Star Trek has fully embraced DS9's critique of institutions and its embrace of the goodness in flawed people.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Flex

Post by Flex »

Been rewatching Picard, it's even better than I'd remembered. A rewatch rewards being able to see how carefully the series layers in the major questions from the TNG era of Star Trek: what does it mean to be human, to have humanity, and to embody the best ideals of said humanity?

ST:P really dialogues with, and carries on, direct plotlines from TNG in terms of android humanity, borg liberation, the evolution of romulan society and one critical theme from DS9 which is the institutional decay of the Federation.

Star Trek works well when dealing with decaying or corrupt institutions (and has engaged with such in some fashion throughout the run of the franchise, in different ways), and what sets ST apart (generally) is rejecting the premise that that decay and corruption is somehow necessary or (worse) secretly the noble position to take.

I've watched at least bits of all the new Trek series, and enjoy them all, but for all the chatter I see online about how Lower Decks carries on the spirit of TNG (and in some ways it does), Picard is the one that really seriously engages with the best and most important themes from TNG.

Can't wait for the next season.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 3:10pm
Been rewatching Picard, it's even better than I'd remembered. A rewatch rewards being able to see how carefully the series layers in the major questions from the TNG era of Star Trek: what does it mean to be human, to have humanity, and to embody the best ideals of said humanity?

ST:P really dialogues with, and carries on, direct plotlines from TNG in terms of android humanity, borg liberation, the evolution of romulan society and one critical theme from DS9 which is the institutional decay of the Federation.

Star Trek works well when dealing with decaying or corrupt institutions (and has engaged with such in some fashion throughout the run of the franchise, in different ways), and what sets ST apart (generally) is rejecting the premise that that decay and corruption is somehow necessary or (worse) secretly the noble position to take.

I've watched at least bits of all the new Trek series, and enjoy them all, but for all the chatter I see online about how Lower Decks carries on the spirit of TNG (and in some ways it does), Picard is the one that really seriously engages with the best and most important themes from TNG.

Can't wait for the next season.
Fully agreed. Having a respected old man as the central figure gives the story gravitas and keeps it from being wholly an action story. It had to be more thoughtful in approach. I can't imagine Stewart coming back if it weren't going to be more meditative.