The Catch-All Brag About Your Significant Other thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: The Catch-All Brag About Your Significant Other thread

Post by Flex »

Wolter wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 10:25pm
My wife had a few lines on Chicago Fire tonight, which was cool.
so fucking rad. good work to ali!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Maggie took on an excellent opportunity as co-director of Ballet Tucson, after a long time of trying to figure out what to do post-retirement from PNB. The upshot is that we now live in two separate states, which sucks already.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 1:32pm
Maggie took on an excellent opportunity as co-director of Ballet Tucson, after a long time of trying to figure out what to do post-retirement from PNB. The upshot is that we now live in two separate states, which sucks already.
Congrats to Maggie. You moving to Tucson? Cost of living should be way lower.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

If you move to Tucson we could meet halfway for some beers in Albuquerque, KP.

And congrats to Maggie!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
Congrats to your much better half. If your current employer values you enough, perhaps you can continue working remotely. One positive aspect of the past year is that employers and employees alike are realizing how many jobs simply don't require being on site.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Kory wrote:
Congratulations on your wife's good fortune. As Doc mentioned, lots of companies are encouraging people to work remotely, it's saving them money on office space & utilities, etc. so perhaps you can negotiate something that's beneficial to everybody.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Thanks all! We're going to wait at least a year to see how it goes. There's no point in giving up our Seattle apartment if the whole thing falls apart. Between covid and the mess that the company is already in, this is more of a testing year to see if it even survives. Also, I loathe Arizona for a multitude of reasons, so we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, I suppose. The idea is to go down and visit for two weeks at a time, perhaps every 6 weeks or so, and ideally I should be able to work remotely at least during that time.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Kory wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 2:07pm
Thanks all! We're going to wait at least a year to see how it goes. There's no point in giving up our Seattle apartment if the whole thing falls apart. Between covid and the mess that the company is already in, this is more of a testing year to see if it even survives. Also, I loathe Arizona for a multitude of reasons, so we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, I suppose. The idea is to go down and visit for two weeks at a time, perhaps every 6 weeks or so, and ideally I should be able to work remotely at least during that time.
Hello,

Congrats! Tuscon is a neat place as there's great trails to run/hike at some park southwest (?) of town. My wife and I lived a few states apart (North Carolina and Alabama - ~11 hour drive) and I've gradually found spots closer to North Carolina (Ohio - 5 hours; now I'm in North Carolina but ~2 hours away). We did this after our son graduated and moved out. We worked at and it worked out for us - I'm not saying it would work for anyone in particular. Good luck whatever works out!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The Boss and I have lived apart on several occasions. Once when I was going to school in Iowa, once when she did a teaching fellowship in Ottawa (while we were still in Saskatoon), and once during a sabbatical when she was all over Western Canada for about four months. It's do-able and I think it makes you appreciate the relationship more when you're together.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 2:41pm
The Boss and I have lived apart on several occasions. Once when I was going to school in Iowa, once when she did a teaching fellowship in Ottawa (while we were still in Saskatoon), and once during a sabbatical when she was all over Western Canada for about four months. It's do-able and I think it makes you appreciate the relationship more when you're together.

Yeah, we've spent a few months apart at a time since we started dating because of her traveling for ballet stuff here and there, but this is the first open-ended time with that. I think it's just cutting deeper because we just spent a whole year together in one place.
Last edited by Kory on 01 Jun 2021, 4:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

gkbill wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 2:38pm
Kory wrote:
Hello,

Congrats! Tuscon is a neat place as there's great trails to run/hike at some park southwest (?) of town. My wife and I lived a few states apart (North Carolina and Alabama - ~11 hour drive) and I've gradually found spots closer to North Carolina (Ohio - 5 hours; now I'm in North Carolina but ~2 hours away). We did this after our son graduated and moved out. We worked at and it worked out for us - I'm not saying it would work for anyone in particular. Good luck whatever works out!
I can't run or even really function in heat that heavy. I'm from Seattle, so anything above 60 is pretty uncomfortable for me. Other reasons I'm not a fan is that there's really only one biome (especially compared to WA); bands don't visit; it's overflowing with republicans and open racism; I don't trust seafood that far inland; there's no respectable symphony or chamber music organization; and it's a city built almost entirely out of strip malls. Plus I know literally nobody there, so I'd become even more of a hermit. It's an ok place to visit for a short time but there's no way I could be content living there.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 1:41pm
If you move to Tucson we could meet halfway for some beers in Albuquerque, KP.

And congrats to Maggie!
I have a sneaking suspicion that I'd rather just go to Denver...

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Kory wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 4:43pm
gkbill wrote:
Kory wrote:
Hello,

I can't run or even really function in heat that heavy. I'm from Seattle, so anything above 60 is pretty uncomfortable for me. Other reasons I'm not a fan is that there's really only one biome (especially compared to WA); bands don't visit; it's overflowing with republicans and open racism; I don't trust seafood that far inland; there's no respectable symphony or chamber music organization; and it's a city built almost entirely out of strip malls. Plus I know literally nobody there, so I'd become even more of a hermit. It's an ok place to visit for a short time but there's no way I could be content living there.
Yeah, the "politics" of Arizona are pretty tin foil & MAGA hat crowd inspired. Both my wife and I have relatives that live there, I'm not sure I could even visit them based on their reactions to this past years political and pandemic events.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The heat is Mercury-like. About 20 years ago, the Boss and I drove a friend down to Tucson so he could start his PhD. It was mid-August and the streets were bubbling. And yet I saw locals wearing sweatshirts. What kind of biological mistake acclimatizes to that degree?

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Kory wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 4:43pm
gkbill wrote:
Kory wrote:
Hello,

Hello,

Admittedly, I went to Tuscon for weekends (games versus the University of Arizona) so my exposure was limited. I enjoy living in college towns - North Carolina has a couple of decent University towns and is slowly entering the 21st century. There's more than enough racism to go around. I was in Oregon which was much more blue than North Carolina - but much more white. North Carolina has rednecks while Oregon has survivalists - guys (primarily) who lived under bridges because they wanted to live off the grid. I guess I've learned to live amongst rednecks. College towns do tend to provide and support the arts here - I can't speak for Tuscon. As for heat, I prefer hot than cold. I lived in Vermont as well - it was fun but give me heat rather than cold anytime! I hope you all (I guess I should write "y'all") figure it out.