The Catch-All Brag About Your Significant Other thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Catch-All Brag About Your Significant Other thread

Post by Kory »

gkbill wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 6:43pm
Kory wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 4:43pm
gkbill wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 2:38pm
Kory wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 2:07pm
Thanks all! We're going to wait at least a year to see how it goes. There's no point in giving up our Seattle apartment if the whole thing falls apart. Between covid and the mess that the company is already in, this is more of a testing year to see if it even survives. Also, I loathe Arizona for a multitude of reasons, so we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, I suppose. The idea is to go down and visit for two weeks at a time, perhaps every 6 weeks or so, and ideally I should be able to work remotely at least during that time.
Hello,

Congrats! Tuscon is a neat place as there's great trails to run/hike at some park southwest (?) of town. My wife and I lived a few states apart (North Carolina and Alabama - ~11 hour drive) and I've gradually found spots closer to North Carolina (Ohio - 5 hours; now I'm in North Carolina but ~2 hours away). We did this after our son graduated and moved out. We worked at and it worked out for us - I'm not saying it would work for anyone in particular. Good luck whatever works out!
I can't run or even really function in heat that heavy. I'm from Seattle, so anything above 60 is pretty uncomfortable for me. Other reasons I'm not a fan is that there's really only one biome (especially compared to WA); bands don't visit; it's overflowing with republicans and open racism; I don't trust seafood that far inland; there's no respectable symphony or chamber music organization; and it's a city built almost entirely out of strip malls. Plus I know literally nobody there, so I'd become even more of a hermit. It's an ok place to visit for a short time but there's no way I could be content living there.
Hello,

Admittedly, I went to Tuscon for weekends (games versus the University of Arizona) so my exposure was limited. I enjoy living in college towns - North Carolina has a couple of decent University towns and is slowly entering the 21st century. There's more than enough racism to go around. I was in Oregon which was much more blue than North Carolina - but much more white. North Carolina has rednecks while Oregon has survivalists - guys (primarily) who lived under bridges because they wanted to live off the grid. I guess I've learned to live amongst rednecks. College towns do tend to provide and support the arts here - I can't speak for Tuscon. As for heat, I prefer hot than cold. I lived in Vermont as well - it was fun but give me heat rather than cold anytime! I hope you all (I guess I should write "y'all") figure it out.
I prefer cold because you can always put on another layer—if you're too hot, there's only so much you can do!

Yeah, Oregon is a lot like Washington. The westside is a little more blue, the eastside is way more red. People living away from coasts have fewer opportunities to experience other cultures and become deathly frightened of them as a result.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Kory wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 6:55pm
gkbill wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 6:43pm
Kory wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 4:43pm
gkbill wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 2:38pm
Kory wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 2:07pm
Thanks all! We're going to wait at least a year to see how it goes. There's no point in giving up our Seattle apartment if the whole thing falls apart. Between covid and the mess that the company is already in, this is more of a testing year to see if it even survives. Also, I loathe Arizona for a multitude of reasons, so we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, I suppose. The idea is to go down and visit for two weeks at a time, perhaps every 6 weeks or so, and ideally I should be able to work remotely at least during that time.
Hello,

Congrats! Tuscon is a neat place as there's great trails to run/hike at some park southwest (?) of town. My wife and I lived a few states apart (North Carolina and Alabama - ~11 hour drive) and I've gradually found spots closer to North Carolina (Ohio - 5 hours; now I'm in North Carolina but ~2 hours away). We did this after our son graduated and moved out. We worked at and it worked out for us - I'm not saying it would work for anyone in particular. Good luck whatever works out!
I can't run or even really function in heat that heavy. I'm from Seattle, so anything above 60 is pretty uncomfortable for me. Other reasons I'm not a fan is that there's really only one biome (especially compared to WA); bands don't visit; it's overflowing with republicans and open racism; I don't trust seafood that far inland; there's no respectable symphony or chamber music organization; and it's a city built almost entirely out of strip malls. Plus I know literally nobody there, so I'd become even more of a hermit. It's an ok place to visit for a short time but there's no way I could be content living there.
Hello,

Admittedly, I went to Tuscon for weekends (games versus the University of Arizona) so my exposure was limited. I enjoy living in college towns - North Carolina has a couple of decent University towns and is slowly entering the 21st century. There's more than enough racism to go around. I was in Oregon which was much more blue than North Carolina - but much more white. North Carolina has rednecks while Oregon has survivalists - guys (primarily) who lived under bridges because they wanted to live off the grid. I guess I've learned to live amongst rednecks. College towns do tend to provide and support the arts here - I can't speak for Tuscon. As for heat, I prefer hot than cold. I lived in Vermont as well - it was fun but give me heat rather than cold anytime! I hope you all (I guess I should write "y'all") figure it out.
I prefer cold because you can always put on another layer—if you're too hot, there's only so much you can do!

Yeah, Oregon is a lot like Washington. The westside is a little more blue, the eastside is way more red. People living away from coasts have fewer opportunities to experience other cultures and become deathly frightened of them as a result.
Hello,

Once you get east of Bend, it becomes a lot different. Paranoid might be an extreme term, but they are much more suspicious of everything.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Congrats top Maggie! Do you have no interest in moving to Tucson?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 4:50pm
Flex wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 1:41pm
If you move to Tucson we could meet halfway for some beers in Albuquerque, KP.

And congrats to Maggie!
I have a sneaking suspicion that I'd rather just go to Denver...
That sounds like a better plan for me, Flex, anyways.

You come up to visit for concerts and I'll come down for spring training. See, it's not so bad!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

JennyB wrote:
02 Jun 2021, 10:06am
I'm averse to it in the extreme. Based on your descriptions, I think it can be considered the St. Louis of the southwest.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
02 Jun 2021, 12:40pm
JennyB wrote:
I'm averse to it in the extreme. Based on your descriptions, I think it can be considered the St. Louis of the southwest.
Tucson pizza: Cheez-wiz and ketchup on a tortilla?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jun 2021, 12:45pm
Kory wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Last time I was there I was forced to eat this monstrosity that was a big crispy tortilla with way too much cheese on it (like a nacho pizza almost), the american, overcheesed version of Mexican food. I can't imagine they actually eat that thing down south. Funny that they have a lot of Mexican restaurants there, all while hating Mexicans. It's a joy.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
02 Jun 2021, 12:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Last time I was there I was forced to eat this monstrosity that was a big crispy tortilla with way too much cheese on it (like a nacho pizza almost), the american, overcheesed version of Mexican food. I can't imagine they actually eat that thing down south. Funny that they have a lot of Mexican restaurants there, all while hating Mexicans. It's a joy.
Racism is bad enough without expecting internal consistency, too.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jun 2021, 12:55pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
JennyB wrote:
I used to get into these huge arguments with Maggie's aunt about immigration. She wanted Mexicans to die in the desert on their way across the border (this was during the Bush era). Then she got hepatitis and when she found out how bad republican-run health care was, she switched to the other side (such as it is). It was quite a journey.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
02 Jun 2021, 1:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jun 2021, 12:55pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I used to get into these huge arguments with Maggie's aunt about immigration. She wanted Mexicans to die in the desert on their way across the border (this was during the Bush era). Then she got hepatitis and when she found out how bad republican-run health care was, she switched to the other side (such as it is). It was quite a journey.
Youth is wasted on the young and a cheap standard of living is wasted on people without money. Everything can be rationalized if you're prepared to dehumanize others.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I lived in Phoenix for like 6 months and have had to return for month long stints over the years for work. Phoenix had plenty of good shows when I was there and as I recall Tucson is about an hour south of Phoenix. I only went to Tucson once, they had at least one decent record store years ago...

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Kory wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Eesh.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Spending 15 minutes outside during our heat wave, I was reminded of this. And then I thought, "Oh yeah, Kory …"

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 1:54pm
Spending 15 minutes outside during our heat wave, I was reminded of this. And then I thought, "Oh yeah, Kory …"
I fully endorse this.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 1:32pm
Maggie took on an excellent opportunity as co-director of Ballet Tucson, after a long time of trying to figure out what to do post-retirement from PNB. The upshot is that we now live in two separate states, which sucks already.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.