Mad Men

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Mad Men

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Sep 2020, 6:53pm
revbob wrote:
17 Sep 2020, 6:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Sep 2020, 5:55pm
That was good. Ive only ever channel surfed thru Mad Men but what's his name is a great comic actor. Dont think Ive seen him im a serious role.
I was first exposed to Jon Hamm on Mad Men so I was blown away to find out that he also possessed comedic acting chops.
I think I read that he's a lot like Duchovny in that he is known for drama but prefers doing comedy.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Sep 2020, 7:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
That was good. Ive only ever channel surfed thru Mad Men but what's his name is a great comic actor. Dont think Ive seen him im a serious role.
I was first exposed to Jon Hamm on Mad Men so I was blown away to find out that he also possessed comedic acting chops.
I think I read that he's a lot like Duchovny in that he is known for drama but prefers doing comedy.
Which is weird because, hell, the dude is dramatic leading man handsome. I find it weird that I see him mostly in commercials, when he seems like Hollywood star to me. Clearly I don't know nuthin.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Sep 2020, 7:57pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Which is weird because, hell, the dude is dramatic leading man handsome. I find it weird that I see him mostly in commercials, when he seems like Hollywood star to me. Clearly I don't know nuthin.
He had that turn in Bridesmaids, and has a great episode of Toast of London, among other comedy properties. Yeah, I dunno, it must just be more fun or something. Or it could be that Hollywood execs just see him as Draper if he does drama, so he's doing comedy since he's been pigeonholed out of serious work.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Sep 2020, 8:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

He had that turn in Bridesmaids, and has a great episode of Toast of London, among other comedy properties. Yeah, I dunno, it must just be more fun or something. Or it could be that Hollywood execs just see him as Draper if he does drama, so he's doing comedy since he's been pigeonholed out of serious work.
Perhaps, but, really, Mad Men's last episode aired five years ago. It will deservedly be the role he's known for, but it was also a show on cable. It's not exactly Alan Alda always being Hawkeye. If he's got enough dough in the bank, I lean to your idea that he just would rather do comedy than drama.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Sep 2020, 8:18pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Perhaps, but, really, Mad Men's last episode aired five years ago. It will deservedly be the role he's known for, but it was also a show on cable. It's not exactly Alan Alda always being Hawkeye. If he's got enough dough in the bank, I lean to your idea that he just would rather do comedy than drama.
He was great as the cult leader in The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 9:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

He was great as the cult leader in The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

Yeah he was.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

My only rebuttal to that might be that nobody from that show has done anything else notable as far as I know. The only one that's shown up on my radar was Rich Sommer on Glow. I don't think that the execs themselves actually pigeonhole him, but perhaps they fear that the viewing public would and so don't try to cast him. But I agree that it's more likely that he doesn't go out for dramatic roles probably.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 10:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

My only rebuttal to that might be that nobody from that show has done anything else notable as far as I know. The only one that's shown up on my radar was Rich Sommer on Glow. I don't think that the execs themselves actually pigeonhole him, but perhaps they fear that the viewing public would and so don't try to cast him. But I agree that it's more likely that he doesn't go out for dramatic roles probably.
Elisabeth Moss went on to do The Handmaid's Tale. And Alison Brie was on Community at the same time. But, yeah, nobody suddenly launched themselves into mainstream stardom.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Sep 2020, 6:42am
Kory wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 10:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Elisabeth Moss went on to do The Handmaid's Tale. And Alison Brie was on Community at the same time. But, yeah, nobody suddenly launched themselves into mainstream stardom.
Oh shit I forgot Alison Brie was on Mad Men. She’s obviously on Glow too.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

This show is so amazing that with every re-watch, I find something new. This time around, the symbolism and parallels are jumping out at me like never before.

The time Joanie hosts a dinner party for Greg's colleagues at the hospital, he forces her to play the accordion. She gives him the stink eye, kind of making you wonder if she realized at that moment that marrying Greg was a really bad idea (even though raping her in Don's office should have been the deal breaker, but anyway.,,). Fast forward to when Greg signs up for another tour of duty and they're sitting in the restaurant and a musician comes over and plays the accordion right beside her. She's giving him that look again. I've seen this show well over a dozen times and just now caught the significance of that moment.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Mimi wrote:
21 Dec 2022, 12:23pm
This show is so amazing that with every re-watch, I find something new. This time around, the symbolism and parallels are jumping out at me like never before.

The time Joanie hosts a dinner party for Greg's colleagues at the hospital, he forces her to play the accordion. She gives him the stink eye, kind of making you wonder if she realized at that moment that marrying Greg was a really bad idea (even though raping her in Don's office should have been the deal breaker, but anyway.,,). Fast forward to when Greg signs up for another tour of duty and they're sitting in the restaurant and a musician comes over and plays the accordion right beside her. She's giving him that look again. I've seen this show well over a dozen times and just now caught the significance of that moment.
I really want to watch it again, but the time investment is a deterrent since I have so many other things I need to watch for the first time.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Kory wrote:
21 Dec 2022, 2:53pm
Mimi wrote:
21 Dec 2022, 12:23pm

I really want to watch it again, but the time investment is a deterrent since I have so many other things I need to watch for the first time.
I have the opposite problem. I can't find anything new that interests me. :meh:

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Mimi wrote:
21 Dec 2022, 4:23pm
I can't remember if youve tried it out or not, but The Americans is probably the best TV show I've seen this last decade, possibly ever.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Flex wrote:
21 Dec 2022, 4:26pm
Mimi wrote:
I can't remember if youve tried it out or not, but The Americans is probably the best TV show I've seen this last decade, possibly ever.
I've heard of that. I'll look for it. Thanks.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Mimi wrote:
21 Dec 2022, 5:00pm
Flex wrote:
21 Dec 2022, 4:26pm
Mimi wrote:
I've heard of that. I'll look for it. Thanks.
I hate to be "oh, just get through the first season then it gets good" because the first season is good, but they refine it starting in season two and it legitimately starts becoming one of the all time best TV shows ever around then imho. They just slightly tone down the "sexy spy thriller" and really amp up the social and domestic drama, which I think would resonate with any fans of Mad Men.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!