Mad Men

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Mad Men

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Tangentially Mad Men or Mad Men-esque, but a real life 70s luxury apartment preserved: http://pictorial.jezebel.com/this-very- ... 1755563738
I saw that yesterday. Remarkably cheap price. Unfortunately, it's now off the market,

I hope that this doesn't mean in ten or so years, we are going to be praising the mauve and forest green decor of the 80s.
Stupidly cheap. A penthouse condo in Chicago for $160K? The neighbourhood must be on top of a toxic dump that's on fire. And, yes, one day 80s decor will be quaint and retro cool. Every aesthetic awful is eventually forgiven.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I picked up on a few of these things at the time, but, yow-whee, this extent of this analysis is pretty compelling.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:I picked up on a few of these things at the time, but, yow-whee, this extent of this analysis is pretty compelling.
That was pretty persuasive.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:I picked up on a few of these things at the time, but, yow-whee, this extent of this analysis is pretty compelling.
Yeah. I caught a little of this, but this is pretty sweet.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Wolter wrote:
Flex wrote:
Yeah. I caught a little of this, but this is pretty sweet.
Very interesting. But Christ, couldn't they have hired almost anybody else to do that voiceover? I can't pay attention to what the guy is saying over his stilted delivery and stumbling over his words.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

B and I have been re-watching the series the last couple weeks—we're towards the end of season 2—and Joel Murray does such a fantastic job as Freddy Rumsen. In a series full of contemptible assholes, he is one of the very few decent characters. He respects talent and has no illusions about the world, but doesn't succumb to cynicism. Even as a fall-down drunk with a perpetual hangdog look, he's better than all around him. It's absolutely essential for that show that the good person has to be exiled.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:B and I have been re-watching the series the last couple weeks—we're towards the end of season 2—and Joel Murray does such a fantastic job as Freddy Rumsen. In a series full of contemptible assholes, he is one of the very few decent characters. He respects talent and has no illusions about the world, but doesn't succumb to cynicism. Even as a fall-down drunk with a perpetual hangdog look, he's better than all around him. It's absolutely essential for that show that the good person has to be exiled.
There was a line and he wet it.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:B and I have been re-watching the series the last couple weeks—we're towards the end of season 2—and Joel Murray does such a fantastic job as Freddy Rumsen. In a series full of contemptible assholes, he is one of the very few decent characters. He respects talent and has no illusions about the world, but doesn't succumb to cynicism. Even as a fall-down drunk with a perpetual hangdog look, he's better than all around him. It's absolutely essential for that show that the good person has to be exiled.
I've been rewatching it too. Great writing.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
John Slattery was gifted so many fantastic lines and he made the most of them.

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
When God closes a door he opens a dress.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
When God closes a door he opens a dress.
This entire scene is so fucking tight and perfectly executed comedy.

BostonBeaneater

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

BostonBeaneater wrote:Ugly Don Drapper:
http://nypost.com/2017/01/05/man-admits ... ith-women/
:lol:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

I'm rewatching Mad Men...again. Just saw the scene where Peggy tells Pete she had his baby. That moment was so well played by both of them, but especially Elisabeth Moss.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

So I'm reading Mad Men Carousel, an episode-by-episode analysis. Lots of remarkable observations. But the one I want to share is that the episode where the Limey gets his foot chopped off by the riding mower is meant to parallel and predict JFK's assassination in a few months time. The slow moving vehicle, the blood spatter, Joan spending the rest of the episode covered in his blood, the horrified onlookers, the promising young executive cut down in his prime. Supposedly the speed and movement of the lawnmower is sync'd up to the convertible in the Zapruder film. The book references a video essay about it, but I couldn't find it online. Given the attention to detail of the show, yeah, it has to be intentional, tho it clearly went over my head at the time.