Star Wars

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Star Wars

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Long weekend, so of course one channel or another is doing a Star Wars marathon. I caught the last hour of Phantom Menace and my reaction to it has changed. Less now that it's not good (yet still better than Attack of the Clones and Rise of Skywalker), but I immediately thought of the abuse heaped upon the kid who played Anakin and the model for Jar Jar. That terrible, evil toxicity in fandom. The kid has since been diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic, which may be independent of what he went thru from "fans," but it couldn't have helped. So I watched it aware that these actors are in the early stages of having their lives wrecked.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Another long weekend, another Star Wars marathon that I catch parts of and have stuff dawn on me. End of Phantom Menace, Obi Wan, in essence, graduates, becoming a full-on Jedi knight. And, hey, here, while we're at it, you get to train the possible Chosen One. Ever think something that important might be a job for Yoda or Samuel L. Jackson? Nah, give it to the guy with absolutely no experience training people. It's really shameful that it took the Sith so long to bump off these shmoes.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 12:02pm
Another long weekend, another Star Wars marathon that I catch parts of and have stuff dawn on me. End of Phantom Menace, Obi Wan, in essence, graduates, becoming a full-on Jedi knight. And, hey, here, while we're at it, you get to train the possible Chosen One. Ever think something that important might be a job for Yoda or Samuel L. Jackson? Nah, give it to the guy with absolutely no experience training people. It's really shameful that it took the Sith so long to bump off these shmoes.
The whole prequel trilogy is like the “Cut the Crap” of Star Wars.

“Meesa not gonna be treated like trash…”
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 12:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yes, except even shitty Star Wars is kinda fun. Except that final film where Palpatine just showed up again. Makes any of the prequels look like Empire.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

*snort* :lol:

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 12:37pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yes, except even shitty Star Wars is kinda fun. Except that final film where Palpatine just showed up again. Makes any of the prequels look like Empire.
Oh, I totally agree...we need a Jar-Jar Week here at IMCT!

“Meesa eet piranhas!”
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 12:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

“Meesa eet piranhas!”
Now this is fingerpoppin', R2!

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 1:17pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 12:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

“Meesa eet piranhas!”
Now this is fingerpoppin', R2!
:mrgreen:

Sorry. As usual, I’ve spent a Friday night drinking cheap beer and haven’t slept in 36 hours. Last night I went from Alan Arkin -> Escape from Sobibor -> Rutger Hauer -> Blade Runner -> Patriot Games -> The Fugitive -> Force 10 From Navarone -> Jaws -> now I’m watching…totally unrelated…Flash Gordon for the millionth time.

And speaking of R2, did you know that Kenny Baker played a dwarf in Flash Gordon (1980)? And Munson in Flash Gordon is the same actor as Porkins in Star Wars? Weird.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Question: Han owed Jabba a bunch of money, which brings him into the main story and leading to the whole Boba Fett / freezing thing, which eventually leads to Jabba's death. Given that Han never repaid the money, does that mean he stills owes Jabba's estate? Or was the debt cancelled when he was captured and displayed in Jabba's lair? Jabba dying, I should think, wouldn't nullify the debt, so I wonder if it was still officially outstanding.

(I need to ambush Lucas with that kind of stupid question to make him regret making those movies.)

edit: Given that the debt was accrued via an illegal act—smuggling—maybe that means it's not legally binding?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 7:29pm
Question: Han owed Jabba a bunch of money, which brings him into the main story and leading to the whole Boba Fett / freezing thing, which eventually leads to Jabba's death. Given that Han never repaid the money, does that mean he stills owes Jabba's estate? Or was the debt cancelled when he was captured and displayed in Jabba's lair? Jabba dying, I should think, wouldn't nullify the debt, so I wonder if it was still officially outstanding.

(I need to ambush Lucas with that kind of stupid question to make him regret making those movies.)

edit: Given that the debt was accrued via an illegal act—smuggling—maybe that means it's not legally binding?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 8:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

This, sir, is not run-of-the-mill nerding. This is dorking.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 8:50pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 8:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 8:50pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

You have penetrated this mortal shell and seen into my soul.

modskint
Dirty Punk

Post by modskint »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

Another sub-question, did Fett acquire the Solo debt when he became daimyo of Mos Espa/Tattooine?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

modskint wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 9:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Another sub-question, did Fett acquire the Solo debt when he became daimyo of Mos Espa/Tattooine?
If the debt was still active (and there’s no reason to think that after RotJ Han went back and squared things away with Bib Fortuna), yes, I’d say so.