Star Wars

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Star Wars

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 12:48am
Watching the prequels is the star wars equivalent of all the shit we do with cut the crap
Yeah Ive never been able to sit thru that either.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

revbob wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 10:02am
Flex wrote:
Watching the prequels is the star wars equivalent of all the shit we do with cut the crap
I saw them when they first came out and then watched them with my son when he started getting into Star Wars, but I'm now good never watching them again. Crazy to think what a big deal those were when they came out.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 10:11am
revbob wrote:
Flex wrote:
I saw them when they first came out and then watched them with my son when he started getting into Star Wars, but I'm now good never watching them again. Crazy to think what a big deal those were when they came out.
Yeah, I honestly did the same but I can't say I was fully engaged. I mean I wanted to like them I wanted them to be good.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

One thing the Boss observed during her insane dive into the soup was how Yoda goes from this mentally strong and even physically agile badass in the prequels to grandpa goofy in Empire. It's only around 20 years between Sith and Empire. Was he going senile from loneliness on Dagobah?
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 10:55am
One thing the Boss observed during her insane dive into the soup was how Yoda goes from this mentally strong and even physically agile badass in the prequels to grandpa goofy in Empire. It's only around 20 years between Sith and Empire. Was he going senile from loneliness on Dagobah?
Just one of many things that doesn't scan.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

revbob wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 10:48am
WestwayKid wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 10:11am
revbob wrote:
Flex wrote:
Yeah, I honestly did the same but I can't say I was fully engaged. I mean I wanted to like them I wanted them to be good.
Think about if Phantom Menace had been the first Star Wars movie released. The franchise would have probably died an early death. It's not just that the prequels are not as good as the original trilogy - they're not good films in general.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 11:06am
Think about if Phantom Menace had been the first Star Wars movie released. The franchise would have probably died an early death. It's not just that the prequels are not as good as the original trilogy - they're not good films in general.
I disagree. Back in '77, films about intergalactic trade disputes and filled with vaudeville ethnic stereotypes was what America craved. That they didn't get it led to Reagan.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 11:16am
WestwayKid wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 11:06am
I disagree. Back in '77, films about intergalactic trade disputes and filled with vaudeville ethnic stereotypes was what America craved. That they didn't get it led to Reagan.
tumblr_inline_n9wzwrAgVD1qglqe6.jpg
tumblr_inline_n9wzwrAgVD1qglqe6.jpg (166.96 KiB) Viewed 3823 times

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

William D. Williams is gender fluid, like Lando: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/billy-de ... 3e6f805f91

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Nice analysis of Rogue One:

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

I figured out Baby Yoda.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
13 Dec 2019, 1:22pm
I figured out Baby Yoda.

The Boss thought that immediately when we were watching The Mandalorian.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Reading some of the early reactions/speculation to the new Star Wars and it's mesmerizing how much hate—whether genuine or performative—there is towards something they all profess to love with all their little hearts. I honestly can't fathom getting this worked up, just ready to despise a movie/franchise and claim that your life and/or childhood has been ruined. How do these people deal with real life problems? I used to roll my eyes at uncritical fanboys who just loved anything served up at them—do they even exist anymore?—but I'll take those dorks eight days a week over these raging tumours.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Dec 2019, 10:54am
Reading some of the early reactions/speculation to the new Star Wars and it's mesmerizing how much hate—whether genuine or performative—there is towards something they all profess to love with all their little hearts. I honestly can't fathom getting this worked up, just ready to despise a movie/franchise and claim that your life and/or childhood has been ruined. How do these people deal with real life problems? I used to roll my eyes at uncritical fanboys who just loved anything served up at them—do they even exist anymore?—but I'll take those dorks eight days a week over these raging tumours.
It blows my mind. The trolls are truly something else. I understand the cultural importance of Star Wars, but at the end of the day it's just a movie. A poorly conceived Star Wars film is not going to kill anyone...so the outrage is unwarranted.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I wish more people realized it’s ok to like some things and dislike others and just not watch the things you don’t like without being a megadick.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"