Star Wars

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Star Wars

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
09 Jan 2022, 9:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jan 2022, 12:28pm
After two episodes of Boba Fett, it's pretty clear that the series is portraying Tuskens as stand-ins for 19th/20th c North American indigenous people, marginalized and evicted from their ancestors' land. There is zero reason to think Lucas had the same intention when he used them, but their portrayal in his films as anti-civilization predatory monsters is pretty ugh in this light. As with pretty much all things Star Wars, if you think too hard about this stuff, it's not pleasant at all.
With Lucas I thought they were stand-ins for Arabs.

Either way it was good to see them not portrayed as 1 dimensional horror creatures.
I never got the impression that they were meant to be much more than generic menaces that bring Luke and Obi-Wan together (and then a resource to speed along Anakin to the dark side). They just aren’t developed enough under Lucas to seem much of anything than threats.
Kimmelweck wrote:
09 Jan 2022, 9:44pm
I recently read that in an earlier draft, Lucas originally intended the Tuskens to be non-native Imperial spies, and they only became a Tatooine native race in a later draft.
Huh. The evolution of his script/story is crazy involved.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

20220228_114541.jpg
Its a trap!!!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 8:26pm
I wish Harrison Ford was my pot dealer. My guy has always been more like Greedo.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 10:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 8:26pm
I wish Harrison Ford was my pot dealer. My guy has always been more like Greedo.
If you kill him, Lucas will help make it look like self-defense later.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 6:29am
Kimmelweck wrote:
Funny thing is, other than a handful of disinterested puffs at a friend’s house, I haven’t regularly smoked pot since they legalized it in New York a year ago. Just took the fun right out of it I guess. Supposedly, in another 6 months, it will be legal to grow up to 6 plants at home for personal use. When that happens, I may grow one as a houseplant just for the hell of it, but over the past year my pot smoking has been completely replaced by my evening glass of wine. Word is, Greedo may go legit and apply for a permit to open a shop.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kimmelweck wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 2:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Funny thing is, other than a handful of disinterested puffs at a friend’s house, I haven’t regularly smoked pot since they legalized it in New York a year ago. Just took the fun right out of it I guess. Supposedly, in another 6 months, it will be legal to grow up to 6 plants at home for personal use. When that happens, I may grow one as a houseplant just for the hell of it, but over the past year my pot smoking has been completely replaced by my evening glass of wine. Word is, Greedo may go legit and apply for a permit to open a shop.
I think Im closing in on 30 years. Id be more apt to go for edibles than smoking as I still dont like the smell.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dope Wars : Greedo Strikes Back.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 2:14pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dope Wars : Greedo Strikes Back.
Ok, that deserves a green smiley emoji. :mrgreen:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 2:13pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
I think Im closing in on 30 years. Id be more apt to go for edibles than smoking as I still dont like the smell.
I don't care for smoking anything and never liked the smell, so I've never gravitated to pot. And I'm such an insane slave to routine that breaking from my evening wine as a means to unwind would be pretty radical.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 2:39pm
revbob wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
I don't care for smoking anything and never liked the smell, so I've never gravitated to pot. And I'm such an insane slave to routine that breaking from my evening wine as a means to unwind would be pretty radical.
I probably smoked a quarter pound a year for several decades up until a year ago, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I never formally “quit” smoking it, which would imply that it took some effort. I just totally lost interest in the buzz I’d get from pot, edibles included. Over a period of about a month, it started making me paranoid and anxious and I didn’t enjoy the feeling anymore, so I stopped craving it and it completely fell off my radar. I never imagined that would happen. Maybe it was the particular strain of weed I was getting, I don’t know, but I don’t miss it at all. One thing I still do enjoy is the smell, if I'm around other people who are smoking it.

I recall an interview snippet with Joe Strummer, I think it was on my old cassette copy of Story of the Clash, where he says he stopped smoking pot at one point so he could remember his dreams (though it seems like he didn't stay away from it for long). Since I stopped, I believe there is some truth to that, and my memory seems sharper now. Wait...what were we talking about? Oh yeah, Star Wars.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 3:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 2:39pm
revbob wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I probably smoked a quarter pound a year for several decades up until a year ago, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I never formally “quit” smoking it, which would imply that it took some effort. I just totally lost interest in the buzz I’d get from pot, edibles included. Over a period of about a month, it started making me paranoid and anxious and I didn’t enjoy the feeling anymore, so I stopped craving it and it completely fell off my radar. I never imagined that would happen. Maybe it was the particular strain of weed I was getting, I don’t know, but I don’t miss it at all. One thing I still do enjoy is the smell, if I'm around other people who are smoking it.

I recall an interview snippet with Joe Strummer, I think it was on my old cassette copy of Story of the Clash, where he says he stopped smoking pot at one point so he could remember his dreams (though it seems like he didn't stay away from it for long). Since I stopped, I believe there is some truth to that, and my memory seems sharper now. Wait...what were we talking about? Oh yeah, Star Wars.
A friend in Saskatoon (who's coincidentally a serious Star Wars fan) was a pretty steady user, worse when he was looking for work (but which hindered his interest in looking for work). Finally his girlfriend told him he needed to reevaluate his life. Not quite an ultimatum, but a pre-ultimatum. So he quit cold turkey and regained his sense of purpose, almost like turning on a switch. Don't know if he's has the occasional toot now and then, but now that he a middle-aged family man, he might regard it all in his hazy past.

Another friend—an unofficial family member to the Boss and I—is a former addictions counselor, and she explained that regular pot usage leads to a build-up of a fatty residue between the synapses that literally makes a person slow and confused. Having that happen is where pot becomes a problem.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Two old French women wandered past and they sounded like Jawas arguing about the value of a translator droid.