Star Wars

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Star Wars

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jan 2021, 5:08pm
Hmm, that's thought-provoking.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
25 Jan 2021, 5:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jan 2021, 5:08pm
Hmm, that's thought-provoking.
It's almost like people who treat these movies as delivering serious life lessons might be deluding themselves.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

As tends to be the case on long weekends, one channel or another does a Star Wars marathon. Just watched Rogue One and, god damn, it keeps moving up my list of SW films. It's still fundamentally fanfic and unnecessary pothole filling in terms of the wider story, but the execution and mood—shit is way darker yet more romantic than any other SW flick—and is so damned good. Heroism and sacrifice of the unheralded. The original trilogy has a decades-old hold on me, but taking a step back, I could make an argument that Rogue One is the best of the films.

edit: A New Hope is on now. I'm sure I've said this before, but Sand People really sounds like a slur. Especially when they're also known as Tusken Raiders, which I assume is an occupation of some Tuskens. If you're referring to Tuskens as Sand People, yea, you're a bigot. Looking at you, Obi Wan and Luke, fucking religious nuts.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

The last hour of Rogue One is pretty much some of the best space combat ever shown in sci-fi films.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Another long weekend, another SW marathon, another rewatch of Rogue One. The thing that drew my attention this time was how downgraded the Force was. It's basically just faith and a mantra. Aside from Vader doing his shit, the Force isn't relevant at all to the story. It's desperate and self-sacrificing rebels against technological evil. In its own way, it's a serious fuck-you to Lucas' half-baked spiritualism.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 8:47pm
Another long weekend, another SW marathon, another rewatch of Rogue One. The thing that drew my attention this time was how downgraded the Force was. It's basically just faith and a mantra. Aside from Vader doing his shit, the Force isn't relevant at all to the story. It's desperate and self-sacrificing rebels against technological evil. In its own way, it's a serious fuck-you to Lucas' half-baked spiritualism.
Love Rogue One. Third best SW movie after ANH and Empire. I especially love that it gets the Star Wars color scheme right. 98% natural/earth tones (black, white, gray, browns, a bit of sky blue and green vegetation) with bright colors like red and yellow used sparingly, mostly for control panel lights. Visually, it fits right in with the movies that made me love Star Wars in the first place.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 9:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 8:47pm
Love Rogue One. Third best SW movie after ANH and Empire. I especially love that it gets the Star Wars color scheme right. 98% natural/earth tones (black, white, gray, browns, a bit of sky blue and green vegetation) with bright colors like red and yellow used sparingly, mostly for control panel lights. Visually, it fits right in with the movies that made me love Star Wars in the first place.
I've said before that I wasn't overly impressed when I saw it in the theatre, but subsequent rewatches has it up there with New Hope and Empire. It's total fanfic, but it is done so fucking well. When you know that the heroes have to die yet you're still riveted, that's good storytelling.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

I guess this is a bad time to mention that I have never seen any Star Wars movies and will never watch any Star Wars movies.
I do like Star Trek, a lot actually, up to DS9 and Voyager.
I'd much rather watch Spaceballs.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Watched the first episode of The Book of Robert "Bob" A. Fett this evening. Didn't grab the way The Mandalorian—most of it was dedicated to Robert's escape from the Sarlac after Jedi—but neither did it bore or seem pointless.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Dec 2021, 8:55pm
Watched the first episode of The Book of Robert "Bob" A. Fett this evening. Didn't grab the way The Mandalorian—most of it was dedicated to Robert's escape from the Sarlac after Jedi—but neither did it bore or seem pointless.
I'll follow Ming-Na Wen anywhere.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

After two episodes of Boba Fett, it's pretty clear that the series is portraying Tuskens as stand-ins for 19th/20th c North American indigenous people, marginalized and evicted from their ancestors' land. There is zero reason to think Lucas had the same intention when he used them, but their portrayal in his films as anti-civilization predatory monsters is pretty ugh in this light. As with pretty much all things Star Wars, if you think too hard about this stuff, it's not pleasant at all.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jan 2022, 12:28pm
After two episodes of Boba Fett, it's pretty clear that the series is portraying Tuskens as stand-ins for 19th/20th c North American indigenous people, marginalized and evicted from their ancestors' land. There is zero reason to think Lucas had the same intention when he used them, but their portrayal in his films as anti-civilization predatory monsters is pretty ugh in this light. As with pretty much all things Star Wars, if you think too hard about this stuff, it's not pleasant at all.
With Lucas I thought they were stand-ins for Arabs.

Either way it was good to see them not portrayed as 1 dimensional horror creatures.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jan 2022, 12:28pm
I recently read that in an earlier draft, Lucas originally intended the Tuskens to be non-native Imperial spies, and they only became a Tatooine native race in a later draft.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.