Hey Limeys...

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Hey Limeys...

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2019, 12:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Nov 2019, 12:15pm
revbob wrote:
02 Nov 2019, 12:11pm
George looks like he's been put in a lineup. "That's him. He's the one who stole my purse officer".
Or he's thinking, "asymmetric time signature and complex changes"
"Yeah, The Chiffons will never notice!"
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Nov 2019, 12:39pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2019, 12:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Nov 2019, 12:15pm
revbob wrote:
02 Nov 2019, 12:11pm
George looks like he's been put in a lineup. "That's him. He's the one who stole my purse officer".
Or he's thinking, "asymmetric time signature and complex changes"
"Yeah, The Chiffons will never notice!"
Boom! winner!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

So, I just learned about the Aberford disaster from watching an episode of The Crown. I am ashamed to admit that this was the first I had heard of it. One of the most heart wrenching events in history. I'm sounding trite, I know, but I can't even fucking imagine.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

JennyB wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 11:53am
So, I just learned about the Aberford disaster from watching an episode of The Crown. I am ashamed to admit that this was the first I had heard of it. One of the most heart wrenching events in history. I'm sounding trite, I know, but I can't even fucking imagine.
I've not seen The Crown, but do you mean Aberfan? If so, there are a lot a good documentaries from a few years back.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

oliver wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 12:06pm
JennyB wrote:
I've not seen The Crown, but do you mean Aberfan? If so, there are a lot a good documentaries from a few years back.
Yes, sorry. Aberfan. I will try to find one of the docs. Thank you.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

JennyB wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 1:31pm
oliver wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Every year at my Junior School on the anniversary the morning assembled would be dedicated to the children of Aberfan. At the time I thought it was something that happened ‘years ago’ in history and could not understand why the teachers made such a big deal of it. Now of course I understand fully and it was less than 10 years prior.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

JennyB wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 1:31pm
oliver wrote:
JennyB wrote:
I was surprised I'd never heard of either until it was the 50th anniversary a couple of years back. Really shocking and upsetting stuff.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

laxman wrote:
21 Nov 2019, 7:02pm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/id ... 0a19828c47

This is a painfully sad read.
Read this earlier. Though I don't want to come across ignorant, it was the first I'd heard of it. Can't imagine what those families must have went through, simply terrible.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

BitterTom wrote:
21 Nov 2019, 7:08pm
laxman wrote:

Read this earlier. Though I don't want to come across ignorant, it was the first I'd heard of it. Can't imagine what those families must have went through, simply terrible.
I'm a lot older than you and must admit I hadn't read much about it before, although I was aware of it. I can't even imagine the horror of it all, and then to have to go through the awful treatment with the funds that were donated. Truly shocking.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
21 Nov 2019, 7:18pm
BitterTom wrote:
laxman wrote:

I'm a lot older than you and must admit I hadn't read much about it before, although I was aware of it. I can't even imagine the horror of it all, and then to have to go through the awful treatment with the funds that were donated. Truly shocking.
I saw a documentary on it a few years back. Might've been on Amazon. Very sad and heart breaking story.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Nov 2019, 7:23pm
laxman wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
laxman wrote:

I saw a documentary on it a few years back. Might've been on Amazon. Very sad and heart breaking story.
Thanks Marky, looks like it might be on Youtube.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

laxman wrote:
21 Nov 2019, 7:38pm
Marky Dread wrote:
laxman wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
laxman wrote:

Considering the scale of the disaster it is not widely remembered. Not surprised Jenny or anyone else was not aware of it. I only know of it through remembrance assemblies at Junior school but suspect that was only because the Headmaster was Welsh, maybe he had a personal connection? I don’t know.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
21 Nov 2019, 7:45pm
laxman wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
laxman wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

Considering the scale of the disaster it is not widely remembered. Not surprised Jenny or anyone else was not aware of it. I only know of it through remembrance assemblies at Junior school but suspect that was only because the Headmaster was Welsh, maybe he had a personal connection? I don’t know.
I was definitely aware of this disaster whilst growing up, and I'm pretty sure I've seen a documentary or two on telly over here in recent years. So desperately sad.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
21 Nov 2019, 9:07pm
101Walterton wrote:
21 Nov 2019, 7:45pm
laxman wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
laxman wrote:

I was definitely aware of this disaster whilst growing up, and I'm pretty sure I've seen a documentary or two on telly over here in recent years. So desperately sad.
Even more so when you consider the scale of loss from one village, basically a generation of children. I am surprised the village survived you would never escape the loss.