Hey Limeys...

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: Hey Limeys...

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Jun 2022, 6:22am
Low Down Low wrote:
25 Jun 2022, 6:18am
Speaking of the Sleaford Mods, I caught a bit of their set at Glastonbury last night and have to say they're not the smoothest looking bunch alright. But I definitely don't dislike them, not sure I'd stay the distance for a whole set, but 15-20 minutes was pleasant enough. Great energy about them.
I love their energy and they have some good tunes. But their constant use of profanity becomes too much at times.
Definitely wasn't holding back last night from the bits I saw.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 7:07am
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 2:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 7:07am

Actually footage of Heston's childhood exists?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

How come St. John is pronounced “Sinjin” but St. James (for example) isn’t pronounced “Sinjims”

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 1:38am
How come St. John is pronounced “Sinjin” but St. James (for example) isn’t pronounced “Sinjims”
St. John is pronounced "St. John" or people say "Saint John" I've never heard "Sinjin". Where have you heard that Kory?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

:huh:
Marky Dread wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 5:49am
Kory wrote:
St. John is pronounced "St. John" or people say "Saint John" I've never heard "Sinjin". Where have you heard that Kory?
I think Kory might have been reading some Jane Austen or watching some limey period drama. I think there are one or two "Sinjuns" there alright.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
St. John is preonounced "St. John" or people say "Saint John" I've never heard "Sinjin". Where have you heard that Kory?
Norman Sinjin Stevas

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_St_John-Stevas
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

It's some old snobbish wankery. It only occurs in the very posh circles. Only applies to fore names.

Obviously Heston the King of Herons knows all about it. 🤣

Personally they can all fuck off. They don't represent the British people in any reality the rest of us live in.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Actually, think i found what Kory must have been watching:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 8:11am
Actually, think i found what Kory must have been watching:

Ha! Yep that or "The Crown".

The names "Bond" "right up my own arse Bond". Probably too much of a mouthful for the script writer's.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Here and there over the years—for a long time I just assumed it was spelled "Sinjin" but I finally put 2 and 2 together a couple years ago as Charles Shaughnessy's character on Mad Man has that name. I've noticed that, unlike in the states, sometimes other similar names will approach it, like "St. Mark's" being pronounced (sort of) like "Snt Mark's" for example, so I assume "Sinjin" is just taking that a step further for (as you say) the posh among us.

The first time I ever heard the name was two separate Python sketches, one with Norman St. John Polevaulter and the other with Oliver St. John-Mollusc.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Kory wrote:
01 Aug 2022, 4:15pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Here and there over the years—for a long time I just assumed it was spelled "Sinjin" but I finally put 2 and 2 together a couple years ago as Charles Shaughnessy's character on Mad Man has that name. I've noticed that, unlike in the states, sometimes other similar names will approach it, like "St. Mark's" being pronounced (sort of) like "Snt Mark's" for example, so I assume "Sinjin" is just taking that a step further for (as you say) the posh among us.

The first time I ever heard the name was two separate Python sketches, one with Norman St. John Polevaulter and the other with Oliver St. John-Mollusc.
There was a show called Sherwood recently and the main character's last name was St Clair, pronounced Sinclair. Presumably that's where the more common spelling came from too
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

oliver wrote:
01 Aug 2022, 5:01pm
Kory wrote:
01 Aug 2022, 4:15pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:

There was a show called Sherwood recently and the main character's last name was St Clair, pronounced Sinclair. Presumably that's where the more common spelling came from too
Very interesting, I hadn't made that connection but it makes sense.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

I think the general rule is that as a middle name, or part of a double barrel, it's Sinjun. The "stately plump Buck Mulligan" in the opening line of Ulysses is based on a bete noir of Joyce's called Oliver St John Gogarty, pronounced Sinjun. Anyone i know whose surname is St John is always pronounced fully. There is a Sinjun in Jane Eyre whose first name is St John, but cant imagine there are too many beasts horrible enough to inflict that on a child.