SCIENCE!

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: SCIENCE!

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
09 Dec 2023, 9:36am
Speaking of dinosaurs, this is pretty cool:

First tyrannosaur fossil discovered with its last meal perfectly preserved in its stomach

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/08/americas ... index.html

And some day, I hope scientists find my skeleton perfectly preserved with a belly full of Buffalo-style chicken wings.

Note to self: Wait outside restaurant to kill Kimmelweck.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Dec 2023, 9:47am
Kimmelweck wrote:

First tyrannosaur fossil discovered with its last meal perfectly preserved in its stomach

And some day, I hope scientists find my skeleton perfectly preserved with a belly full of Buffalo-style chicken wings.

Hey! I meant some day in the distant future!
Shoot straight for once, you Army pukes. - Lt. Col. Andrew Tanner, USAF

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
09 Dec 2023, 9:53am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Dec 2023, 9:47am
Kimmelweck wrote:

Hey! I meant some day in the distant future!
Note to self: Look up in dictionary what “distant” means after killing Kimmelweck.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Dec 2023, 10:42am
Note to self: Look up in dictionary what “distant” means after killing Kimmelweck.
Seriously though, it can be mind-blowing to contemplate what Earth was like 75 million years ago. Imagine if Kory's time-machine malfunctioned, and instead of a Clash show, he dumped us all off somewhere in the Cretaceous with no way back. :scared:

And even more mind-blowing, this is what the menu looks like at the pizza place around the corner from me:

Snack (5 Wings) - $10.49
Single (10 Wings) - $15.99
Double (20 Wings) - $28.99
Triple (30 Wings) - $41.49
Box (50 Wings) - $63.99 :scared: :scared: :scared:

I remember in the 90s, local bars and restaurants would have "10-Cent Wing Night". I haven't ordered Buffalo wings in several years. :cry:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
09 Dec 2023, 11:00am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Seriously though, it can be mind-blowing to contemplate what Earth was like 75 million years ago. Imagine if Kory's time-machine malfunctioned, and instead of a Clash show, he dumped us all off somewhere in the Cretaceous with no way back. :scared:

And even more mind-blowing, this is what the menu looks like at the pizza place around the corner from me:

Snack (5 Wings) - $10.49

I remember in the 90s, local bars and restaurants would have "10-Cent Wing Night". I haven't ordered Buffalo wings in several years. :cry:
And restaurants wonder why fewer people are dining out. And if that's the price that is required, fine, then dining out won't be a common experience. Which is how it once was. There's nothing sacred to eating in a restaurant.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Snack (5 Wings) - $10.49

Check the price of a pack of wings in the store. I've seen like $4/lb for uncooked wings. Mind you each chicken just has 2 so there's that but they've come a long way from being thrown away to being highly sought after.

Most eateries just lazily cook bland wings and cover them in some kind of sauce. I rarely order them.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

revbob wrote:
09 Dec 2023, 12:21pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Snack (5 Wings) - $10.49

Check the price of a pack of wings in the store. I've seen like $4/lb for uncooked wings. Mind you each chicken just has 2 so there's that but they've come a long way from being thrown away to being highly sought after.

Most eateries just lazily cook bland wings and cover them in some kind of sauce. I rarely order them.
Actually, not to nitpick, but each chicken has 4 "wings"...2 flats and 2 drums, but I hear ya, and good point. Buying frozen wings at the grocery store is much less expensive.

I have a small electric deep fryer and I've made them myself, but it reeks up the whole house so I gotta cook them outside in the driveway. :mrgreen:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kimmelweck wrote:
09 Dec 2023, 12:36pm
revbob wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Snack (5 Wings) - $10.49

Actually, not to nitpick, but each chicken has 4 "wings"...2 flats and 2 drums, but I hear ya, and good point. Buying frozen wings at the grocery store is much less expensive.

I have a small electric deep fryer and I've made them myself, but it reeks up the whole house so I gotta cook them outside in the driveway. :mrgreen:
I roast them, not frozen ones. Salt, pepper, garlic, paprika and cayenne dry rub. Then I often crisp them up on the grill and do some with a maple, jalapeño bbq sauce.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

revbob wrote:
09 Dec 2023, 2:52pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
09 Dec 2023, 12:36pm
revbob wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Snack (5 Wings) - $10.49

I roast them, not frozen ones. Salt, pepper, garlic, paprika and cayenne dry rub. Then I often crisp them up on the grill and do some with a maple, jalapeño bbq sauce.
Yeah that sounds great. I'll have to try making them that way.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Dec 2023, 11:36am
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Snack (5 Wings) - $10.49

And restaurants wonder why fewer people are dining out. And if that's the price that is required, fine, then dining out won't be a common experience. Which is how it once was. There's nothing sacred to eating in a restaurant.
I wonder how much of this is trying to compensate for the cost of food with inflation and so on, rather than greed. I'm sure it varies by restaurant.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
12 Dec 2023, 1:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Snack (5 Wings) - $10.49

I wonder how much of this is trying to compensate for the cost of food with inflation and so on, rather than greed. I'm sure it varies by restaurant.
Part of it, doubtless. As well, delivery services can really gouge, so it's a way of passing that onto the consumer. Either way, the prevalence of restaurants just might not be sustainable. If the model was built on cheap food and cheap labour, well, conditions have changed and everyone is going to adjust.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Dec 2023, 1:16pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Snack (5 Wings) - $10.49

Part of it, doubtless. As well, delivery services can really gouge, so it's a way of passing that onto the consumer. Either way, the prevalence of restaurants just might not be sustainable. If the model was built on cheap food and cheap labour, well, conditions have changed and everyone is going to adjust.
I imagine places that continue to exist will be by-the-slice pizza joints with bars built in.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
12 Dec 2023, 1:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Dec 2023, 1:16pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

Snack (5 Wings) - $10.49

I imagine places that continue to exist will be by-the-slice pizza joints with bars built in.
I suspect it'll be like farming. My brother-in-law, who retired from farming a decade ago, said you either have to be huge or make it a sideline operation. Really big or really small. The economics just doesn't support the middle model anymore. So restaurants will either cater to upscale or quick and cheap, but that middle-range generic pub or family restaurant will gradually disappear.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Snack (5 Wings) - $10.49

I was recently at a place in New Orleans that advertised 1,000 pieces of chicken for $999.99!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
12 Dec 2023, 1:35pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Snack (5 Wings) - $10.49

I was recently at a place in New Orleans that advertised 1,000 pieces of chicken for $999.99!
That … does not seem like an enticing price.