SCIENCE!

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

SCIENCE!

Post by Wolter »

This could go into the Dictator Religion thread because it's refuting Deepak Chopra, but science shouldn't be political, it should be fun! And therefore, he's a thread for SCIENCE!

http://nirmukta.com/2009/12/14/biocentr ... -universe/

Note: this article is not really "fun," in any mainstream use of the word
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: SCIENCE!

Post by Flex »

I've been paid cash-money to make science political, baby.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:I've been paid cash-money to make science political, baby.
Shhhh! I'm sneaking politics into the fun threads by pretending it's nerdy. :shifty:

Wait.

That doesn't make any fucking sense.

DAMN YOU, SUDAFED!
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Woooo Waterworld!
A newly discovered planet orbiting a small, nearby star appears to be a "water world," with a surface that might be covered with liquid water.

"This is certainly the first planet around another star which we think is mostly made of water," says David Charbonneau of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics in Cambridge, Mass., who led the research team that found the new planet, named GJ 1214b.

If you could ride a spaceship to this planet — which you couldn't, because it is 40 light-years away — you would first approach the small, feeble red star that the planet orbits once every 38 hours, Charbonneau says. Then you'd see the planet, bigger and heavier than Earth, and probably enshrouded in an alien atmosphere.

Plunging down through that atmosphere, Charbonneau says, the light from the star would most likely dim and disappear until you were in darkness. Then, if you kept going down and your ship could survive the crushing pressure of the atmosphere, you might splash into a hot ocean.

At least, that's what Charbonneau and his colleagues think this planet is like. There's no way to know for sure, with current technology.

But the scientists have been able to determine that the planet is about 2.5 times the size of Earth, with a mass of about 6.5 times that of our home planet. And given that planets can be made of a limited number of common ingredients — like light gases, rock and water — the scientists figured out what possible combinations of ingredients were likely for a planet of this size and weight.

"We think this planet is mostly made of water, with a thin atmosphere surrounding it, perhaps of hydrogen and helium," Charbonneau says.

The planet is pretty hot compared with Earth — around 400 degrees Fahrenheit — but even so, pressure from the atmosphere could keep any water liquid.

A report on the new planet appears in the journal Nature. An accompanying commentary by planet-hunter Geoffrey Marcy of the University of California at Berkeley calls it "the most watertight evidence so far for a planet that is something like our own Earth, outside our solar system."
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... c=fb&cc=fp
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Still216
Hoy Without The Hoy

Post by Still216 »

Wolter wrote: Wait.

That doesn't make any fucking sense.

DAMN YOU, SUDAFED!
So is this why they made me show a drivers license and sign into a book every time I bought a box of Sudafed last winter? To prevent lapses of sense like the one above?

Oh, right...it was because I lived in Methtown, PA for almost two years. Never mind.
Sit on my lap, I'm sober! - cretin
Dylan can never care about anything, not a troublesome woman, not a beleagured workingman, not a fingerless glove or sleeveless jacket, as much as Andrew WK cares about partying. - Silent Majority

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:Woooo Waterworld!
A newly discovered planet orbiting a small, nearby star appears to be a "water world," with a surface that might be covered with liquid water.

"This is certainly the first planet around another star which we think is mostly made of water," says David Charbonneau of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics in Cambridge, Mass., who led the research team that found the new planet, named GJ 1214b.

If you could ride a spaceship to this planet — which you couldn't, because it is 40 light-years away — you would first approach the small, feeble red star that the planet orbits once every 38 hours, Charbonneau says. Then you'd see the planet, bigger and heavier than Earth, and probably enshrouded in an alien atmosphere.

Plunging down through that atmosphere, Charbonneau says, the light from the star would most likely dim and disappear until you were in darkness. Then, if you kept going down and your ship could survive the crushing pressure of the atmosphere, you might splash into a hot ocean.

At least, that's what Charbonneau and his colleagues think this planet is like. There's no way to know for sure, with current technology.

But the scientists have been able to determine that the planet is about 2.5 times the size of Earth, with a mass of about 6.5 times that of our home planet. And given that planets can be made of a limited number of common ingredients — like light gases, rock and water — the scientists figured out what possible combinations of ingredients were likely for a planet of this size and weight.

"We think this planet is mostly made of water, with a thin atmosphere surrounding it, perhaps of hydrogen and helium," Charbonneau says.

The planet is pretty hot compared with Earth — around 400 degrees Fahrenheit — but even so, pressure from the atmosphere could keep any water liquid.

A report on the new planet appears in the journal Nature. An accompanying commentary by planet-hunter Geoffrey Marcy of the University of California at Berkeley calls it "the most watertight evidence so far for a planet that is something like our own Earth, outside our solar system."
Do the people who inhabit said planet have to drink their own pee?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

They don't have to. :shifty:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

So I am the Cosmos afterall. :shifty:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

Dogeball: horrible movie redeemed every once in awhile by a cast that's too good to be in it. But it has one line that I just love. It's Rip Torn saying, apropos of nothing, "And I don't have to drink my own piss, but it's sterile and I like the taste!"
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Billy Joel wrote:Dogeball: horrible movie redeemed every once in awhile by a cast that's too good to be in it. But it has one line that I just love. It's Rip Torn saying, apropos of nothing, "And I don't have to drink my own piss, but it's sterile and I like the taste!"
Shouldn't you be drunk yet?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

Six hours, baby.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Billy Joel wrote:Dogeball: horrible movie redeemed every once in awhile by a cast that's too good to be in it. But it has one line that I just love. It's Rip Torn saying, apropos of nothing, "And I don't have to drink my own piss, but it's sterile and I like the taste!"
I like that film. Every picture should have somebody getting hit in the groin or the head on a regular seven minute cycle. I actually can't think of a single movie that wouldn't be improved by that. Schindler's List? No, hit 'em in the balls.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

cretin
shamerd my assgerfed.,

Post by cretin »

Flex wrote:Woooo Waterworld!

omg i didn't read all that. but i want to live ;there and you cann all come with and drink my pee.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »