Big Foot

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Re: Big Foot

Post by Sparky »

You know, he's got a point there...
Attachments
Deep Thought.jpg
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Hooks in the tub
Attachments
sasq2.jpg
sasq2.jpg (31.99 KiB) Viewed 191 times
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
18 Apr 2024, 10:52am
Hooks in the tub
I'd read that in the tub, definitely.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
Hooks in the tub
Who the fuck writes shit like that?

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

revbob wrote:
18 Apr 2024, 1:17pm
tepista wrote:
Hooks in the tub
Two authors apparently.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
tepista wrote:
Hooks in the tub
It's a skill to be able to do that. There was a notable scifi writer in the 50s or 60s who, apart from his more serious, creative writing, could pump out trashy novels of maybe 30–40K words in length every four days or so. It was easy money for him and, he said, helped him become more disciplined in his other work. Formulaic writing is dismissed as lacking ability, but it's actually a different kind of ability.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Apr 2024, 1:43pm
revbob wrote:
tepista wrote:
Hooks in the tub
It's a skill to be able to do that. There was a notable scifi writer in the 50s or 60s who, apart from his more serious, creative writing, could pump out trashy novels of maybe 30–40K words in length every four days or so. It was easy money for him and, he said, helped him become more disciplined in his other work. Formulaic writing is dismissed as lacking ability, but it's actually a different kind of ability.
Especially true in pop music. It's harder, even.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
18 Apr 2024, 3:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
tepista wrote:
Hooks in the tub
Especially true in pop music. It's harder, even.
One of the things that made me reconsider formula work was after reading a study of romance readers. To non-fans, it's the same damn thing, over and over. Completely lazy and encourages passivity in the reader. To the fan, tho, yeah, there is a formula but the pleasure comes from the little tweaks, the unexpected little touches. The non-fan misses that altogether, so it only works if you're well-versed in the formula. So it should be approached not vertically—"creative" or "original" work as superior to formula—but rather horizontally—a different approach to narrative.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
tepista wrote:
Hooks in the tub
When my son was little he would come home from school with these books. Like monster and hero fantasy stories. In each book the hero had a new sidekick as he went on a quest to kill the monster that was plaguing a village. Very much a formula, different monster, sidekick and village but more or less the same story. There was probably 30 of these books at the time.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
18 Apr 2024, 7:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
tepista wrote:
Hooks in the tub
When my son was little he would come home from school with these books. Like monster and hero fantasy stories. In each book the hero had a new sidekick as he went on a quest to kill the monster that was plaguing a village. Very much a formula, different monster, sidekick and village but more or less the same story. There was probably 30 of these books at the time.
But, seemingly, there was enough going on that your boy wanted to experience the different versions.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Apr 2024, 8:05pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
tepista wrote:
Hooks in the tub
But, seemingly, there was enough going on that your boy wanted to experience the different versions.
He was pretty young and getting into reading. Eventually he caught on. It sort of reminds me of watching Gilligan's Island as a kid.

But I guess what you were getting at and which applies pretty much across the board is that you use these exercises to find out what works and wha doesn't. Its practice or rough drafts. Hopefully gets you in a good position for when you get your big chance or whatever. You eliminate some variables and tweak things you want to improve.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
18 Apr 2024, 8:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

He was pretty young and getting into reading. Eventually he caught on. It sort of reminds me of watching Gilligan's Island as a kid.

But I guess what you were getting at and which applies pretty much across the board is that you use these exercises to find out what works and wha doesn't. Its practice or rough drafts. Hopefully gets you in a good position for when you get your big chance or whatever. You eliminate some variables and tweak things you want to improve.
As much as anything, I'm suspicious of the importance of being distinct and original and all that. Yes, creativity is important, but if the standard is so high as to dissuade you—you're not being original enough—that's a trap that leads you to passivity. Fuck, I say that even as that's exactly my problem and why I don't write much (apart from here, of course). So formula isn't proof of inadequacy or being a hack. It's expression like anything else.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Apr 2024, 9:32pm
revbob wrote:
18 Apr 2024, 8:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

As much as anything, I'm suspicious of the importance of being distinct and original and all that. Yes, creativity is important, but if the standard is so high as to dissuade you—you're not being original enough—that's a trap that leads you to passivity. Fuck, I say that even as that's exactly my problem and why I don't write much (apart from here, of course). So formula isn't proof of inadequacy or being a hack. It's expression like anything else.
Id equate it to like batting practice. The best hitters take BP all the time (so do shitty ones). Im sure there's better anaolgies. Its skills and you need to develop some and keep some fresh.