FAO Kory

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: FAO Kory

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 11:50am
Ok, I guffawed.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 11:50am
It's true, the Fender P-Bass is a toy compared to the Fender J-Bass.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Real Kory and flex vibes here:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
31 Jul 2020, 11:14pm
Apparently the new NOFX album is in the can, but they decided to release this thing first. I think right now is the longest gap between albums, maybe ever.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 12:47pm
Flex wrote:
Apparently the new NOFX album is in the can, but they decided to release this thing first. I think right now is the longest gap between albums, maybe ever.
Your love of NOFX will always puzzle me.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 1:34pm
Kory wrote:
Flex wrote:
Ironic, your puzzlement at my love of NOFX always clarifies things for me. :twitch:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 1:42pm
revbob wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 1:34pm
Kory wrote:
Flex wrote:
Ironic, your puzzlement at my love of NOFX always clarifies things for me. :twitch:
:lol:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Question for Kory: This book I'm reading about zines (see the Reading thread) makes the suggestion that aesthetic of a zine—rough, disorganized, sometimes hard to read—and means of distribution (indie record stores, punk shows, mail order) reflect a message that anyone can (and should) do this. The slick and professional layout, with an eye on the consumer (to attract them), send the message that not everyone can do this and your role in this process is to pay your moneys and read and that's it. I'm curious your thoughts, given that you're both on the indie side of music but also a trained graphics artist.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 5:10pm
I saw Bela Fleck play once. I remember the drummer had some stupid setup. His wikipedia page pulls up this:
"More recently, Wooten has developed a new electronic instrument called the RoyEl,[4] which resembles a piano but plays notes not found in the traditional western music scales. This instrument is based on the periodic table of elements[4] and the golden ratio."

What a jackass.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 5:28pm
Flex wrote:
I saw Bela Fleck play once. I remember the drummer had some stupid setup. His wikipedia page pulls up this:
"More recently, Wooten has developed a new electronic instrument called the RoyEl,[4] which resembles a piano but plays notes not found in the traditional western music scales. This instrument is based on the periodic table of elements[4] and the golden ratio."

What a jackass.
The instrument in that image is the SynthAxe Drumitar. Basically just a sample pad in the rough shape of a guitar. He combines that with regular percussion and a second sample pad when playing live.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 6:07pm
Question for Kory: This book I'm reading about zines (see the Reading thread) makes the suggestion that aesthetic of a zine—rough, disorganized, sometimes hard to read—and means of distribution (indie record stores, punk shows, mail order) reflect a message that anyone can (and should) do this. The slick and professional layout, with an eye on the consumer (to attract them), send the message that not everyone can do this and your role in this process is to pay your moneys and read and that's it. I'm curious your thoughts, given that you're both on the indie side of music but also a trained graphics artist.
I somehow totally missed this, sorry! I would think that, especially in this day and age, the "rough, disorganized" nature of a zine is a quick visual cue to potential readers that it IS a zine as opposed to a commercial magazine. If you glance at it on the shelf, you'll know what you're getting right off the bat and there shouldn't be any confusion about it being Redbook or something. However, I would be surprised to find that it started with that in mind. I think the book probably asserted what you lay out here because that was just the nature of it at the time. Mark Perry wasn't a graphic designer, nor were any (as far as I know) of the other early punk zine creators. It seems more like necessity than philosophy. This may be very different with underground comix, but the visual cue there would just be the art style, easily picked out in those early days, and of course, the paper stock. But a lot of that stuff is quite rough too—there may be some crossover, especially with something like Punk magazine, co-founded by cartoonist John Holmstrom.

I think that because people quickly did what they could with available Xerox machines paired with the cut and paste aesthetic of some punk, we just associate that with zines now. I don't think there's anything inherently un-punk about clean design/designers (see Malcolm Garrett, Peter Saville, etc), and I would bet that if they were the first zine creators we might have seen a different breed of zine—some more successful than others. But they would likely have been too busy with actual design jobs (or still in school) to do anything like that, meaning that it was always going to be created by the "unskilled." Clean design did cost a lot of money back then—a zine-maker going for that aesthetic would have had to own scads of Letraset, which wasn't cheap. So I can see the argument being made that it was a bit of a gate. If somebody really wanted to do that manually instead and had the skill, they could have, but I think one of the big things about zines was that they would come out very quickly in order to review an important string of gigs or something, and there wasn't really time to hem and haw about layouts and typefaces in that environment. We're probably in too deep to change it now without some other kind of visual cue, so zines continue to look reasonably rough even though many of us have Photoshop now. Maybe all zines going forward could be designed very cleanly but have curry on the cover or something.

Summing up, I think the rough aesthetic targets a certain type of consumer just as much as a commercial magazine does. Whether that's an active thought in the mind of the creator, and whether they mean to imply that other people should follow their lead, probably just depends on who's making it and what their motivations and associations with the tradition are.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Yeah, I largely agree. The initial punk-inspired zines were a product of necessity—access to tools, lack of formal training on do's and do not do's—and of a punk spirit of conventional ugliness and crudeness possessing a virtue in and of itself. But like so much punk music and fashion, it achieves a state of genre itself, with ideals and expectations built in. So is something "amateurish" done so because it's a reflection of the creator's abilities and ideas or is it done to fit into a style? And, of course, software changes everything. One of my students did their zine using a beta web app for making zines. Basically a desktop pub app but meant to evoke something photocopied over and over. It's suggestive that punk as a radical expression had a short shelf life and it's clearly gone bad now.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
Wooten is great. He's obviously a major virtuoso, but he's way more tasteful than they usually tend to be. I used to be much more into that kind of thing, but my favorite bassists tend to be people that are interesting rather than flashy: Barry Adamson, Andy Rourke, Dave Allen, Aston Barrett, Jonathan Maron, etc.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 1:55pm
Yeah, I largely agree. The initial punk-inspired zines were a product of necessity—access to tools, lack of formal training on do's and do not do's—and of a punk spirit of conventional ugliness and crudeness possessing a virtue in and of itself. But like so much punk music and fashion, it achieves a state of genre itself, with ideals and expectations built in. So is something "amateurish" done so because it's a reflection of the creator's abilities and ideas or is it done to fit into a style? And, of course, software changes everything. One of my students did their zine using a beta web app for making zines. Basically a desktop pub app but meant to evoke something photocopied over and over. It's suggestive that punk as a radical expression had a short shelf life and it's clearly gone bad now.
Right, I was going to mention something about how it's just a cliché now and probably has lost power as a result of that. You can just emulate a punk zine instead of doing it that way because you have to. It's a product like anything else, I suppose.