What Are you Eating Right Now?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Re: What Are you Eating Right Now?

Post by Sparky »

Just made some Teriyaki Red Pepper Beef Jerky, headed off to the post office to send it Express Mail to my daughter in Alabama.
Attachments
Teriyaki Red Pepper Jerky.jpg
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Sparky wrote:
15 Mar 2023, 5:58pm
Just made some Teriyaki Red Pepper Beef Jerky, headed off to the post office to send it Express Mail to my daughter in Alabama.
Looks great. How'd you make it? Dehydrator, oven, or something else? I've tried making jerky years ago but it looked gray and was disgusting.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Kimmelweck wrote:
15 Mar 2023, 7:17pm
Sparky wrote:
Looks great. How'd you make it? Dehydrator, oven, or something else? I've tried making jerky years ago but it looked gray and was disgusting.
Thanks, I have a small oven looking dehydrator that has a temp, time settings as well as a fan that blows across the racks. I can put 5 lbs of meat in and have jerky in 5-6 hours. Love it. IMO the trick to jerky is using a decent cut of meat, trim all the fat then find a marinade you like and adjusting it to suit your tastes. I've was gifted a dry rub jerky set, terrible, salty, couldn't eat it.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Sparky wrote:
15 Mar 2023, 7:57pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
15 Mar 2023, 7:17pm
Sparky wrote:
Thanks, I have a small oven looking dehydrator that has a temp, time settings as well as a fan that blows across the racks. I can put 5 lbs of meat in and have jerky in 5-6 hours. Love it. IMO the trick to jerky is using a decent cut of meat, trim all the fat then find a marinade you like and adjusting it to suit your tastes. I've was gifted a dry rub jerky set, terrible, salty, couldn't eat it.
That’s cool. When I did it long ago, I just used the oven at low temp and obviously over-dried it. Didn’t even think about marinades back then – probably pre-internet. I just winged it and it was like shoe leather. Haven’t bought jerky in a long time, but I noticed at the store the other day that tiny little bags of the Teriyaki stuff were $8.99 now. That’s nuts. I remember when they were $4.99 for the same thing a couple years ago. Probably cheaper to do it yourself now I’d imagine, or at least better quality, with fewer preservatives, etc.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I cant recall if I mentioned my chicken wing disaster last week. Some friends were coming over and I got two big packs of chicken wings. I normally precook a bit in the oven and finish on the grill. Well i had the wings in two glass pyrex dishes doing their thing while i was making bbq sauce ad suddenly there was a loud bang coming from the oven. I open the door and it's a mess of broken glass and chicken wings and juices all over the inside. This was like 30 min before arrival. Luckily I had some hamburger and hot dogs for backup.

Im doing wings again but no glass.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 6:44pm
I cant recall if I mentioned my chicken wing disaster last week. Some friends were coming over and I got two big packs of chicken wings. I normally precook a bit in the oven and finish on the grill. Well i had the wings in two glass pyrex dishes doing their thing while i was making bbq sauce ad suddenly there was a loud bang coming from the oven. I open the door and it's a mess of broken glass and chicken wings and juices all over the inside. This was like 30 min before arrival. Luckily I had some hamburger and hot dogs for backup.

Were you pre-cooking at too high a temperature or did you lose track of time or what?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 7:00pm
revbob wrote:

Were you pre-cooking at too high a temperature or did you lose track of time or what?
I was doing what Ive done dozens of times the past few years

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 7:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

You've exploded glass all over your oven dozens of times the past few years? Badass.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 7:14pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

You've exploded glass all over your oven dozens of times the past few years? Badass.
It's an old Phish phan move.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 7:14pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Yeah not too many repeat customers so far.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Additional observation: This wouldn't have happened if you'd just bought some Kraft bbq sauce instead of making your own.

Kraft: Nothing will explode in your oven with Kraft™.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 7:55pm
Additional observation: This wouldn't have happened if you'd just bought some Kraft bbq sauce instead of making your own.

Kraft the only barbecue sauce endorsed by John Wolter

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 8:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Kraft the only barbecue sauce endorsed by John Wolter
"How do I spell barbecue? K-R-A-F-T." - Jon Wolter

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

Kraft saves the explosions for your bowels
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!