What Are you Eating Right Now?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: What Are you Eating Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BitterTom wrote:
18 Jan 2020, 1:32pm
I had a vegan burger in work earlier, not expecting it to taste of much, it blew my mind how good it was. Full of flavour and the spicy vegan mayo was sublime. Would definitely have again.
I regularly buy black bean patties (don't know the brand name off-hand). Extremely flavourful with a noticeable zing. They don't have the same texture as meat or the new meat substitutes, but the taste is really fucking good. It's the kind of of thing I'd recommend to someone who's thinking about jumping off the meat train.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jan 2020, 4:52pm
BitterTom wrote:
I had a vegan burger in work earlier, not expecting it to taste of much, it blew my mind how good it was. Full of flavour and the spicy vegan mayo was sublime. Would definitely have again.
I regularly buy black bean patties (don't know the brand name off-hand). Extremely flavourful with a noticeable zing. They don't have the same texture as meat or the new meat substitutes, but the taste is really fucking good. It's the kind of of thing I'd recommend to someone who's thinking about jumping off the meat train.
Just wished they were a little more affordable. There's been a bit of an explosion of vegan foods here, some not so good but the good stuff always seems to cost the same as meat if not a little more.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BitterTom wrote:
18 Jan 2020, 5:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Just wished they were a little more affordable. There's been a bit of an explosion of vegan foods here, some not so good but the good stuff always seems to cost the same as meat if not a little more.
Economies of scale. Meat is still more popular so it's cheaper. But the alternatives are a lot cheaper than they used to be.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Im curious how much sodium ends up in these veggie "meats".

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

revbob wrote:
18 Jan 2020, 5:58pm
A fair amount from what I've heard.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
Enough to keep those arteries nice and hard.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Pickled onion monster munch. Bold statement, but possibly the best crisp out there.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
20 Jan 2020, 5:53pm
Pickled onion monster munch. Bold statement, but possibly the best crisp out there.
Not technically crisps, they are corn snacks says the pedant in me. Nice though, I dig the beef flavour as well.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
20 Jan 2020, 7:15pm
BitterTom wrote:
20 Jan 2020, 5:53pm
Not technically crisps, they are corn snacks says the pedant in me. Nice though, I dig the beef flavour as well.
I like to suggest they are also the biggest crisp or corn snack available!

tosh
Long Time Jerk

Post by tosh »

Pickled Onion Monster Munch has been the best crisp since it came out, previous best was the Roast Beef version

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Flamin' Hot also a great flavour. Controversial but I prefer them to the beef.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 1:11pm
JennyB wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 11:27am
I made chicken schnitzel last night. It was really good. I am finally starting to get a little more confident in the kitchen. I hope my family doesn't get used to this.
I love schnitzel! What did you serve it with?
Sorry - been away for a few days (in Indy with the kid and Jeff City for work yesterday). Butternut squash and Israeli salad.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

revbob wrote:
The Beyond Burger has 380mg (16% of recommended daily intake) for a 113g patty
No idea how that stacks up against beef burgers.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

oliver wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 12:48pm
revbob wrote:
The Beyond Burger has 380mg (16% of recommended daily intake) for a 113g patty
No idea how that stacks up against beef burgers.
Faux meat burgers have quite a bit more sodium than beef. A 1/4 beef burger will have between 70-90mg of sodium. Otherwise, they're very similar in regards to fat, calories, and so on.

Most faux meat comes pre-seasoned, however, which adds to the out of the box sodium levels. Once you season a ground beef burger the sodium content will go up. My guess is that it will still be higher in a Beyond Burger, however.

We eat Beyond Burgers on a regular basis (had them last night, in fact). I eat them because I'm a vegetarian. I believe a plant based diet is healthier, but admit that a Beyond Burger is probably too processed to be much of a benefit. It's the idea that my burger choice is not harming animals and the environment that appeals to me.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

BitterTom wrote:
18 Jan 2020, 5:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Yup. They're pricey. We eat Beyond Burgers (not sure if you have them in the UK) and while they're very good (and taste very much like a beef burger) they cost a lot more. When I used to eat meat I'd just go to the store and get a pound of ground beef and make a pile of burgers. I hope the price starts to go down as more and more people start eating them.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble