What Are you Eating Right Now?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: What Are you Eating Right Now?

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 5:46pm
matedog wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 5:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 5:14pm
matedog wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 4:38pm
My issues with burgers is that the beef is so processed and minimal that it really doesn't add much. I've basically given up beef for environmental reasons, but I do make an exception maybe once a year for a fine cut of beef. Not gonna waste that shit on a burger when a turk burg pretty much tastes the same.

That being said, gourmet burgers can be made where the beef actually contributes to the overall flavor, so I'm cool with gourmet.
The place we go to offers an elk meat option, which is really good. Not that I eat meat anymore. But still, back in the day it was good.
My college town had a burger joint called "Murder Burger*" that had ostrich burgers which were tasty. Also, I didn't know you were a vegetarian.

*the town made them change the name to Redrum Burger. Less fun, but still pretty good.
I think I've had ostrich before. The best beef I've ever had is from my sister-in-law's farm—all organic. Incredibly lean and flavourful. The Boss and I would buy, like, a quarter cow and fill the freezer for a year.

(Quit meat maybe two, three years ago. Ethical reasons—it was a notable gap in my anti-violence beliefs. Really don't miss meat, either. But I've got no beef—ho ho—with people who eat meat. We all make our own choices.)
Cutting beef seemed like an easy first step. We do try to eat more vegetarian/vegan meals throughout the week. For me, I was shocked to see how resource heavy beef production is:

I wish I had the fortitude to go vegan as the environmental benefits are significant and it's something I can control. I remember my mom bemoaning how much her generation has fucked things up for future generations. I told her there were small things she could do herself that can help (and was going to suggest cutting out beef), but she had no interest in changing her personal habits.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 5:49pm
Tangentially related, but reminds me of the time i went to Katzs in NYC and had one of their "world famous" pastrami sandwiches that was so absurdly overpacked, there was more of the stuff strewn around the plate/table/floor than managed to find its way into my gob. A profoundly unsatisfying culinary experience.
One of my few ambitions for any sandwich is that it doesn't fall apart on me, that I don't need to use 20 napkins in the process, and my hands aren't hopelessly sticky from the experience. Honestly, a decent and tasty meal is secondary to social embarrassment.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 6:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 4:38pm
My issues with burgers is that the beef is so processed and minimal that it really doesn't add much. I've basically given up beef for environmental reasons, but I do make an exception maybe once a year for a fine cut of beef. Not gonna waste that shit on a burger when a turk burg pretty much tastes the same.

That being said, gourmet burgers can be made where the beef actually contributes to the overall flavor, so I'm cool with gourmet.
The place we go to offers an elk meat option, which is really good. Not that I eat meat anymore. But still, back in the day it was good.
My college town had a burger joint called "Murder Burger*" that had ostrich burgers which were tasty. Also, I didn't know you were a vegetarian.

*the town made them change the name to Redrum Burger. Less fun, but still pretty good.
I think I've had ostrich before. The best beef I've ever had is from my sister-in-law's farm—all organic. Incredibly lean and flavourful. The Boss and I would buy, like, a quarter cow and fill the freezer for a year.

(Quit meat maybe two, three years ago. Ethical reasons—it was a notable gap in my anti-violence beliefs. Really don't miss meat, either. But I've got no beef—ho ho—with people who eat meat. We all make our own choices.)
Cutting beef seemed like an easy first step. We do try to eat more vegetarian/vegan meals throughout the week. For me, I was shocked to see how resource heavy beef production is:

I wish I had the fortitude to go vegan as the environmental benefits are significant and it's something I can control. I remember my mom bemoaning how much her generation has fucked things up for future generations. I told her there were small things she could do herself that can help (and was going to suggest cutting out beef), but she had no interest in changing her personal habits.
I can't imagine I'll be able to go vegan—way too much dairy that I like. I'd also give lab-grown meat a shot.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 6:12pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I can't imagine I'll be able to go vegan—way too much dairy that I like. I'd also give lab-grown meat a shot.
I’ve been very impressed with the Impossible meat in terms of matching texture/mouthfeel.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 6:18pm
I’ve been very impressed with the Impossible meat in terms of matching texture/mouthfeel.
I normally buy Beyond, but that's more availability than preference. But, yeah, texture-wise it's damned good. The price is still too high for more people to adopt, but it lets me still make burgers once in awhile.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 5:57pm
I don’t understand burgers that you can’t cleanly pick up and eat with your hand. I could care less about the ethics (humanity is doomed) but I’ve cut out most red meat and pork for health reason. Turkey burgers are often moister and more flavorful anyway.
Ive had plenty of turkey burgers but they never seemed to be either. I found them just the opposite.

Also lab grown meat? Id try it but all that beyond meat etc can fuck off I dont need to consume that much fucking sodium. If your shit takes that much sodium to make it palatable Im not eating it and it sure as fuck isn't healthier.

And now if you'll excuse me I have to fire up the grill and cook some pork chops

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 6:24pm
Also lab grown meat? Id try it but all that beyond meat etc can fuck off I dont need to consume that much fucking sodium. If your shit takes that much sodium to make it palatable Im not eating it and it sure as fuck isn't healthier.
It'd be a problem if you were having those burgers constantly. Once in awhile, it's fine. I don't regard it as all that healthy—it's just an opportunity to still have a burger.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 6:22pm
matedog wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 6:18pm
I normally buy Beyond, but that's more availability than preference. But, yeah, texture-wise it's damned good. The price is still too high for more people to adopt, but it lets me still make burgers once in awhile.
Yeah, i'll pick a chicken or pork dish often over Impossible for price reasons. They just need to tax the hell out of meat so the actual repercussions of consuming it as better felt by the buyer.

matedog

Post by matedog »

revbob wrote:

And now if you'll excuse me I have to fire up the grill and cook some pork chops
Impossible isn't crazy with sodium:
370mg vs. 75mg with beef, so yeah a lot more but not like a wild amount of your daily amount.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 7:05pm
revbob wrote:

370mg vs. 75mg with beef, so yeah a lot more but not like a wild amount of your daily amount.
Yeah, Ive certainly seen worse.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

revbob wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 9:49pm
matedog wrote:
revbob wrote:

Hello,

Soup is usually extremely salty. A can of soup may contain your entire daily suggested allotment.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 10:12pm
revbob wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 9:49pm
matedog wrote:
revbob wrote:

Hello,

Soup is usually extremely salty. A can of soup may contain your entire daily suggested allotment.
Oh yeah I generally only eat home made soup.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 6:12pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I find I much prefer oat milk to dairy and I was enthusiastically saying the other day about how vegan cheese and chocolate are now good enough. The substitutes are truly getting there, I think.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
18 Jan 2023, 6:38am
I find I much prefer oat milk to dairy and I was enthusiastically saying the other day about how vegan cheese and chocolate are now good enough. The substitutes are truly getting there, I think.
I might get there one day—I'm open to it, certainly—but not yet.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 5:57pm
I don’t understand burgers that you can’t cleanly pick up and eat with your hand. I could care less about the ethics (humanity is doomed) but I’ve cut out most red meat and pork for health reason. Turkey burgers are often moister and more flavorful anyway.
Fake meat burgers have come a long way, too. I'm 98.9% vegetarian, with burgers being the one item I will occasionally cheat with - but I've had some fantastic Impossible / Beyond burgers in the past couple of years.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble