What Are you Eating Right Now?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Re: What Are you Eating Right Now?

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The Boss bought some chai-infused marshmallows from a nearby coffee shop. That shit takes hot chocolate up to 11. :cool:
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Bombay mix, paired with some bog standard lager. Perfect.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Split pea soup & a grilled cheese sandwich. Perfect comfort food for a cold, gray day.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
02 Jan 2023, 7:44pm
Split pea soup & a grilled cheese sandwich. Perfect comfort food for a cold, gray day.
:cool: Switch split pea to tomato bisque and I could be good with that as my last meal on death row.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jan 2023, 7:52pm
Sparky wrote:
:cool: Switch split pea to tomato bisque and I could be good with that as my last meal on death row.
Sounds like you're already there from a dietary standpoint.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
02 Jan 2023, 9:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Ha! I don't wanna brag, but I could do a death march.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jan 2023, 10:00pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
I mean this in the most polite way...your diet as described by you is depressing.

I just imagine canned soups and grilled cheese sandwiches as your holiday meal

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
03 Jan 2023, 12:09am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
I mean this in the most polite way...your diet as described by you is depressing.

I have a very utilitarian attitude toward food. I wish I loved it the way most people do, but it just doesn't arouse much passion in me.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Jan 2023, 7:32am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I have a very utilitarian attitude toward food. I wish I loved it the way most people do, but it just doesn't arouse much passion in me.
I was just reading about this in a few articles and it made me think about how my relationship with food changed during my life. I think I once had a view similar to yours when I was young although there were certainly things that aroused my taste buds. I would attribute it in my case anyway to mostly being served bland uninteresting food. The closest we got to "ethnic food" when I was growing up was pizza. I was probably 18 or s an no longer living at home when I had "Chinese food" for the first time. But my mom's approach to cooking was a similar approach to your eating. This probably stemmed from growing up in a single parent household where her mom worked a lot which resulted in that same utilitarian approach also. Either her mom was making meals and was no doubt tired/pressed for time of my mom or her sister were charged with making the meals for themselves so again a simple/basic approach made sense and then there was the economic forces at play as well so yeah now that I think about it this makes sense in my situation.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/amp/lif ... e27936872/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
03 Jan 2023, 8:37am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

I was just reading about this in a few articles and it made me think about how my relationship with food changed during my life. I think I once had a view similar to yours when I was young although there were certainly things that aroused my taste buds. I would attribute it in my case anyway to mostly being served bland uninteresting food. The closest we got to "ethnic food" when I was growing up was pizza. I was probably 18 or s an no longer living at home when I had "Chinese food" for the first time. But my mom's approach to cooking was a similar approach to your eating. This probably stemmed from growing up in a single parent household where her mom worked a lot which resulted in that same utilitarian approach also. Either her mom was making meals and was no doubt tired/pressed for time of my mom or her sister were charged with making the meals for themselves so again a simple/basic approach made sense and then there was the economic forces at play as well so yeah now that I think about it this makes sense in my situation.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/amp/lif ... e27936872/
Mark Binks, a photographer in Toronto, thinks that he has been this way his whole life and is unapologetic about it. "I'm a creature of habit," he says. "And inefficiencies really get on my nerves. I've eaten the same breakfast for the past 10 years. I don't need to change it, it tastes fine, I know exactly how long it takes so I can plan my morning perfectly. On a day to day, (I eat) to not be dead."
That's pretty much me right there. I'm someone who needs routines, and that includes food.

And, like you, I grew up in a home that served bland food (my dad pretty much demanded it), which I imagine shaped a lot of my attitudes. I now gravitate toward food with some zing to it and am fairly open to trying new things, but I'm not one who needs great variety or elaborate presentation or anything like that. It's fuel to keep me alive, not an "experience" or anything like that. That's a switch that doesn't turn on in me.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I wish I was like this. I'm like this with alcohol - I could take it or leave it. But food? I have major issues.

I was looking through a box of old pictures over the weekend and I found my soccer team picture from when I was in 2nd grade (I am pictured at the top with the terrible bangs). My mom put me on Weight Watchers shortly after this picture was taken. I mean, I guess I was a little chubby, but I certainly wasn't obese or anything. Thus starting me on a lifetime battle with self-image and food. Thanks, mom!
Attachments
Soccer.jpg
Soccer.jpg (22.35 KiB) Viewed 744 times
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
03 Jan 2023, 10:57am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

I wish I was like this. I'm like this with alcohol - I could take it or leave it. But food? I have major issues.

I was looking through a box of old pictures over the weekend and I found my soccer team picture from when I was in 2nd grade (I am pictured at the top with the terrible bangs). My mom put me on Weight Watchers shortly after this picture was taken. I mean, I guess I was a little chubby, but I certainly wasn't obese or anything. Thus starting me on a lifetime battle with self-image and food. Thanks, mom!
Parents'll scar you one way or another. With me, it's more my dad gutting my self-confidence. Again, nothing intentional, but there you have it.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

JennyB wrote:

The missus has a pretty similar story. I recognize that my mother in law, herself, is dealing with a lot of the same issues with food and body image but it still really upsets me the way she STILL treats my wife when it comes to food and her body at times. Very much a "multi generational trauma" type thing. My wife was relieved when we had a boy to hopefully help break some of the cycle around these things that has seemingly been going on 3+ generations now (her grandmothers are still alive and her maternal grandmother is a real piece of work about food).

Even leaving aside that you look totally "normal" and healthy in that photo, the idea of putting any kid on weight watchers (or any kind of stigmatizing diet) is completely insane.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Jan 2023, 11:44am
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Parents'll scar you one way or another. With me, it's more my dad gutting my self-confidence. Again, nothing intentional, but there you have it.
Yep. Sigh.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy