What Are you Eating Right Now?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
tepista
User avatar
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf
Posts: 35700
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:25am
Location: Livin on a fault line, Waiting on the big one

Re: What Are you Eating Right Now?

Post by tepista »

matedog wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 1:23pm
Just tried a 29 year old Coke:
That's you! Was it cold? Why didn't you rinse the rust off the top? Are you sure it had no value? My dad once got drunk in the 90s and drank a six pack of Billy Beer he'd been saving for over 20 years.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

tepista
User avatar
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf
Posts: 35700
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:25am
Location: Livin on a fault line, Waiting on the big one

Re: What Are you Eating Right Now?

Post by tepista »

I just googled, an un-opened can of Billy Beer is worth $20 at the most, so I guess he DIDN'T drink away my inheritence.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 22850
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: What Are you Eating Right Now?

Post by matedog »

tepista wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 3:07pm
matedog wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 1:23pm
Just tried a 29 year old Coke:
That's you! Was it cold? Why didn't you rinse the rust off the top? Are you sure it had no value? My dad once got drunk in the 90s and drank a six pack of Billy Beer he'd been saving for over 20 years.
It was room temp, didn't feel like cleaning it off. Just checked ebay and found one sold for $10 and I'm okay with missing out on that.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 94277
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: What Are you Eating Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 3:10pm
I just googled, an un-opened can of Billy Beer is worth $20 at the most, so I guess he DIDN'T drink away my inheritence.
Well, there was that case of 500-year-old wine he polished off during the 1984 Summer Games.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

tepista
User avatar
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf
Posts: 35700
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:25am
Location: Livin on a fault line, Waiting on the big one

Re: What Are you Eating Right Now?

Post by tepista »

matedog wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 3:44pm
It was room temp, didn't feel like cleaning it off. Just checked ebay and found one sold for $10 and I'm okay with missing out on that.
I would drink a 30 year old coke before I'd drink a warm coke, you did both!
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Sparky
Bang Ice Geezer
Posts: 245
Joined: 01 Dec 2020, 5:31pm

Re: What Are you Eating Right Now?

Post by Sparky »

Just made some Candied Sweet & Spicy Bacon in the dehydrator. AKA - Carnivore Candy. Hard to just eat 1 piece, so I don't think it's going to last too long.
Attachments
Candied Sweet & Spicy Bacon.jpg
Candied Sweet & Spicy Bacon.jpg (144 KiB) Viewed 733 times

BitterTom
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4858
Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 12:21pm
Location: Cheshire, UK

Re: What Are you Eating Right Now?

Post by BitterTom »

Sparky wrote:
19 Mar 2021, 4:28pm
Just made some Candied Sweet & Spicy Bacon in the dehydrator. AKA - Carnivore Candy. Hard to just eat 1 piece, so I don't think it's going to last too long.
Sounds great, love sweet bacon, our shop cures bacon in treacle for 2 weeks and its phenomenal. The spicy aspect of yours though could take it to the next level, will have to try it at some point, what did you use?

Sparky
Bang Ice Geezer
Posts: 245
Joined: 01 Dec 2020, 5:31pm

Re: What Are you Eating Right Now?

Post by Sparky »

BitterTom wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 2:22pm
Sparky wrote:
19 Mar 2021, 4:28pm
Just made some Candied Sweet & Spicy Bacon in the dehydrator. AKA - Carnivore Candy. Hard to just eat 1 piece, so I don't think it's going to last too long.
Sounds great, love sweet bacon, our shop cures bacon in treacle for 2 weeks and its phenomenal. The spicy aspect of yours though could take it to the next level, will have to try it at some point, what did you use?
I upgraded to a dehydrator that was on sale a week ago on Amazon, my old Ronco didn't have any temp control, timer or a fan, took around 24 hours. With the new one, it's taking 5 hours for 5lbs of beef jerky, 7-8 hours for the bacon.
For some reason I can't get the link to work, but it's a Cosori CP267-FD
Recipe I used for the bacon, very easy.
15 strips bacon (1 package) cut in half so I had 30 pieces.
4.5 Tablespoons soy sauce
4.5 Tablespoons brown sugar (I used light because it's what was in the cupboard, wife said I should have used dark)
3 Tablespoons garlic chili sauce
3 teaspoons sesame oil
3 teaspoons mirin (sweet rice wine)
Mixed well, marinated for about 12 hours, put in dehydrator at 165 degrees F for about 8 hours.
Probably was done in 6-7 hours, but the fat on the bacon bugs me so I let it go longer to make sure it was done.
Took it out, set it on paper towels to cool, put in in plastic storage container, haven't seen any condensation, so I guess it's all good.

BitterTom
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4858
Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 12:21pm
Location: Cheshire, UK

Re: What Are you Eating Right Now?

Post by BitterTom »

Sparky wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 2:52pm
BitterTom wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 2:22pm
Sparky wrote:
19 Mar 2021, 4:28pm
Just made some Candied Sweet & Spicy Bacon in the dehydrator. AKA - Carnivore Candy. Hard to just eat 1 piece, so I don't think it's going to last too long.
Sounds great, love sweet bacon, our shop cures bacon in treacle for 2 weeks and its phenomenal. The spicy aspect of yours though could take it to the next level, will have to try it at some point, what did you use?
I upgraded to a dehydrator that was on sale a week ago on Amazon, my old Ronco didn't have any temp control, timer or a fan, took around 24 hours. With the new one, it's taking 5 hours for 5lbs of beef jerky, 7-8 hours for the bacon.
For some reason I can't get the link to work, but it's a Cosori CP267-FD
Recipe I used for the bacon, very easy.
15 strips bacon (1 package) cut in half so I had 30 pieces.
4.5 Tablespoons soy sauce
4.5 Tablespoons brown sugar (I used light because it's what was in the cupboard, wife said I should have used dark)
3 Tablespoons garlic chili sauce
3 teaspoons sesame oil
3 teaspoons mirin (sweet rice wine)
Mixed well, marinated for about 12 hours, put in dehydrator at 165 degrees F for about 8 hours.
Probably was done in 6-7 hours, but the fat on the bacon bugs me so I let it go longer to make sure it was done.
Took it out, set it on paper towels to cool, put in in plastic storage container, haven't seen any condensation, so I guess it's all good.
Cheers, I've got some pork belly at home, I'll try the marinade, reckon it'll be spot on.

BitterTom
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4858
Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 12:21pm
Location: Cheshire, UK

Re: What Are you Eating Right Now?

Post by BitterTom »

Homemade chilli tonight. Cooking for just me so could go all out with the chilli, paprika and garlic. Amazing and plenty left to eat cold for breakfast.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 36105
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: What Are you Eating Right Now?

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
25 Mar 2021, 4:29pm
Homemade chilli tonight. Cooking for just me so could go all out with the chilli, paprika and garlic. Amazing and plenty left to eat cold for breakfast.
You sound more Northern than me. That's horrendous.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Sparky
Bang Ice Geezer
Posts: 245
Joined: 01 Dec 2020, 5:31pm

Re: What Are you Eating Right Now?

Post by Sparky »

BitterTom wrote:
25 Mar 2021, 4:29pm
Homemade chilli tonight. Cooking for just me so could go all out with the chilli, paprika and garlic. Amazing and plenty left to eat cold for breakfast.
Cold for breakfast? Nonsense, scramble up some eggs and mix it in. Yes!

BitterTom
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4858
Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 12:21pm
Location: Cheshire, UK

Re: What Are you Eating Right Now?

Post by BitterTom »

Heston wrote:
25 Mar 2021, 4:55pm
BitterTom wrote:
25 Mar 2021, 4:29pm
Homemade chilli tonight. Cooking for just me so could go all out with the chilli, paprika and garlic. Amazing and plenty left to eat cold for breakfast.
You sound more Northern than me. That's horrendous.
Cold leftovers always taste 10 times better. Cold curry especially, is king.

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 15849
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: What Are you Eating Right Now?

Post by revbob »

Burger and fries after my colonoscopy. First thing in 2 days.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 94277
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: What Are you Eating Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
25 Mar 2021, 5:20pm
Burger and fries after my colonoscopy. First thing in 2 days.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Post Reply