movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: movies

Post by Wolter »

Inder wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Inder wrote:Pineapple Express sucked. Seth Rogen isn't funny.
You wouldn't say that if Jon Stewart were in it.
:disshame:
If it's any consolation, I've never seen it, and have no plans to see it.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Wolter wrote:
Inder wrote:
Wolter wrote:
:disshame:
If it's any consolation, I've never seen it, and have no plans to see it.
It's terrible. Very Apatow.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

I was severely disappointed with it. I didn't laugh at all during the movie except the part where Franco kicks through the windshield which was in the trailer. I don't know how it got such a positive response. It wasn't funny.

Speaking of James Franco, I watched 127 Hours this weekend. It was pretty great and it was awesome watching it in a theater and hearing everyone squirm during the amputation scene. Some girl in the theater threw up during the movie. Well she went to the bathroom to do it.

I also saw Scott Pilgrim which was quite enjoyable. Plus I'm Michael Cera.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

matedog wrote:
I was severely disappointed with it. I didn't laugh at all during the movie except the part where Franco kicks through the windshield which was in the trailer. I don't know how it got such a positive response. It wasn't funny.

Speaking of James Franco, I watched 127 Hours this weekend. It was pretty great and it was awesome watching it in a theater and hearing everyone squirm during the amputation scene. Some girl in the theater threw up during the movie. Well she went to the bathroom to do it.

I also saw Scott Pilgrim which was quite enjoyable. Plus I'm Michael Cera.
Actually, yeah — Franco was great in it. I've got Scott Pilgrim lined up, too. :cool:

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Inder wrote:
It's terrible. Very Apatow.
recipe for every Apatow movie

Start out with dick and drug jokes for 45 minutes. Then make one of the main characters have their feelings hurt, and wait another 45 minutes for the other main character to prove how much he really cares. Then make the movie 2 hours long.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
I guess that means Inder's weed movie of choice is Half Baked.

(I couldn't remember the title and was only coming up with How High which I saw in theaters. It was pretty good.)
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Watched The Fast Runner last night. Heard it recommended and thought it sounded interesting. Wow. It's not a film for everyone (long and kinda slow moving) but I found it utterly fascinating.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Yee haw, The Thin Man is on TCM this evening. For the last couple years, I've always just missed the start, but this time I'll be recording it. Ice cream's on me!*

* Limeys excluded. Sorry. I hope you understand.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Yee haw, The Thin Man is on TCM this evening. For the last couple years, I've always just missed the start, but this time I'll be recording it. Ice cream's on me!*

I love The Thin Man. William Powell and Myrna Loy...gah, nothing like 'em...except Astaire and Rogers. :shifty:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Yee haw, The Thin Man is on TCM this evening. For the last couple years, I've always just missed the start, but this time I'll be recording it. Ice cream's on me!*

I love The Thin Man. William Powell and Myrna Loy...gah, nothing like 'em...except Astaire and Rogers. :shifty:
Undeniable chemistry. Myrna Loy was pretty dang good looking, too. Just a damn good murder and gags flick.

dpwolf
Long Time Jerk

Post by dpwolf »

I rather liked 'Inside Job.'
then don't go killing all the bees

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Undeniable chemistry. Myrna Loy was pretty dang good looking, too. Just a damn good murder and gags flick.
I loved the first one. I have since obtained all the sequels, but have to watch them.

Would that be the fist movie that had the million times over copied...."the killer is someone in this room..." ?
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:

I loved the first one. I have since obtained all the sequels, but have to watch them.

Would that be the fist movie that had the million times over copied...."the killer is someone in this room..." ?
I always associated that line with Agatha Christie types of stories, but who knows.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Myrna had such an non-threatening sexuality to her that just made her so much more sexy. Plus, she could be someone's little sister, the girl next door. I guess you could say she could swing both ways. :shifty: Hard to imagine she played a lot of vamp roles in the twenties.

I've outlined a YA historical fiction that involves women's baseball and Myrna Loy as the role model for the two main characters.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Myrna had such an non-threatening sexuality to her that just made her so much more sexy. Plus, she could be someone's little sister, the girl next door. I guess you could say she could swing both ways. :shifty: Hard to imagine she played a lot of vamp roles in the twenties.
I think you hit it right there. She's definitely got sex appeal, but it's not, well, naked or raw.
I've outlined a YA historical fiction that involves women's baseball and Myrna Loy as the role model for the two main characters.
Cool. And the two characters are the vamp and the girl next door?