movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: movies

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 4:55pm
Kory wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 4:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Feb 2020, 1:48pm
tepista wrote:
22 Feb 2020, 1:17pm
I never saw that, I remember it though. What is it, like Car Wash but with basketball?
The plot, in essence, is the shittiest basketball team in the league turns into the best after consulting an astrologer. They think their success is in harnessing the power of the stars and planets, but it was really about learning to believe in themselves. The humour isn't that far off from Car Wash—that late 70s hip black comedy style.
I could use that kind of confidence, even if it's fake.
Well, I believe you could become a basketball champion if that's what you wanted for your life.
Nah, I'm way too old for that now, my back wouldn't allow it.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 5:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:
22 Feb 2020, 1:17pm
I never saw that, I remember it though. What is it, like Car Wash but with basketball?
The plot, in essence, is the shittiest basketball team in the league turns into the best after consulting an astrologer. They think their success is in harnessing the power of the stars and planets, but it was really about learning to believe in themselves. The humour isn't that far off from Car Wash—that late 70s hip black comedy style.
Well, I believe you could become a basketball champion if that's what you wanted for your life.
Jupiter is in the house of a rising Mercury, and they say your hook is still dynamite.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 5:57pm
Kory wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 5:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Jupiter is in the house of a rising Mercury, and they say your hook is still dynamite.
My patented Space Hook, yeah.

FarawayTowns
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by FarawayTowns »

Watched The Lighthouse over the weekend. Has anyone seen it? If so what are your thoughts?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

We caught Doctor Sleep this weekend. Meh. Maybe it's because I didn't like the novel it's based on, but the whole thing kinda bored me. The Boss liked it more, tho.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

FarawayTowns wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 5:20pm
Watched The Lighthouse over the weekend. Has anyone seen it? If so what are your thoughts?
I'm a big fan of that director in general, looking forward to his next film. Thought the Lighthouse was funny, chaotic, and really enjoyed the acting.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Unusual for me but I have now seen 3 of the Oscar nominations for best picture (plus MrsW has seen a 4th - Judy).
I thought all were 3 were similar types (dark comedy). I don’t agree with the Oscar selectors and would rank them as follows:
1. JoJo Rabbit
2. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
3. Parasite

To be fair to Parasite I was talking to someone from South Korea and I asked them about Parasite and they confirmed that there were jokes in the film that you would not get unless you were from Seoul (although not sure how many of the Oscar selectors were).

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

101Walterton wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 7:22pm
Unusual for me but I have now seen 3 of the Oscar nominations for best picture (plus MrsW has seen a 4th - Judy).
I thought all were 3 were similar types (dark comedy). I don’t agree with the Oscar selectors and would rank them as follows:
1. JoJo Rabbit
2. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
3. Parasite

To be fair to Parasite I was talking to someone from South Korea and I asked them about Parasite and they confirmed that there were jokes in the film that you would not get unless you were from Seoul (although not sure how many of the Oscar selectors were).
I saw part of Parasite on a plane and like a lot of foreign movies I think a lot was lost in the translation.

ohsoso
Dirty Punk

Post by ohsoso »

Kory wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 7:16pm
FarawayTowns wrote:
I'm a big fan of that director in general, looking forward to his next film. Thought the Lighthouse was funny, chaotic, and really enjoyed the acting.
yup, really good with delirium, overall crazyness, sailor talk and great photo. 4/5, will watch again.

FarawayTowns
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by FarawayTowns »

ohsoso wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 3:48am
Kory wrote:
FarawayTowns wrote:
yup, really good with delirium, overall crazyness, sailor talk and great photo. 4/5, will watch again.
I thought that the Black & White filming with the square picture, sound and acting were excellent but found some of the dialogue hard to decipher. Would have found subtitles beneficial.
I left not really understanding what had happened other than a story about descent into madness. Knowing little or nothing about Greek mythology it was only after reading explainers post movie that I became aware of that interpretation of events.
I would also give it 4/5 and would watch again with subtitles. I can still hear the foghorn now. Monkey Pump!!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

FarawayTowns wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 3:53pm
ohsoso wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 3:48am
Kory wrote:
FarawayTowns wrote:
I thought that the Black & White filming with the square picture, sound and acting were excellent but found some of the dialogue hard to decipher. Would have found subtitles beneficial.
I left not really understanding what had happened other than a story about descent into madness. Knowing little or nothing about Greek mythology it was only after reading explainers post movie that I became aware of that interpretation of events.
I would also give it 4/5 and would watch again with subtitles. I can still hear the foghorn now. Monkey Pump!!
I found that the dialogue was easier to follow on second viewing, but I would not begrudge your use of subtitles!

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 6:21pm
We caught Doctor Sleep this weekend. Meh. Maybe it's because I didn't like the novel it's based on, but the whole thing kinda bored me. The Boss liked it more, tho.
I thought it was in my top 2 or 3 movies of the decade! I'm gonna watch it again soon, it will probably drop a few points during my rewatch. That woman, though, jeez I was under her spell!
Last edited by tepista on 27 Feb 2020, 3:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

FarawayTowns wrote:
It's been at the top of my netflix for almost a month, they wont send it! I hope to watch very soon.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 3:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I thought it was in my top 2 or 3 movies of the decade! I'm gonna watch it again soon, it will probably drop a few points during my rewatch. That woman, though, jeez I was under her spell!
I thought the blonde girl was cute as a bug.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 3:43pm
tepista wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 3:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I thought the blonde girl was cute as a bug.
Yeah, those piercing mouthparts were most fetching.