movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Re: movies

Post by BostonBeaneater »

I enjoyed The Platform. It's a Spanish distopian sci-fi film.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
24 Apr 2020, 12:48am

BB there is a bit of chat on that one couple of pages back.

BostonBeaneater

101Walterton wrote:
24 Apr 2020, 1:16am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
24 Apr 2020, 12:48am

BB there is a bit of chat on that one couple of pages back.
Missed it!

BostonBeaneater

101Walterton wrote:
06 Apr 2020, 4:24pm
revbob wrote:
06 Apr 2020, 4:19pm
101Walterton wrote:
06 Apr 2020, 4:01pm
revbob wrote:
06 Apr 2020, 3:57pm
101Walterton wrote:
06 Apr 2020, 3:46pm

I’m not good at deciphering movies but yes everyone chose a plate of food to go on the platform so in theory there should be enough to go round so why does it run out after xxx number of floors when there are xxx still to go. Fat cats stuffing their faces on the top floors.
And people left to fight over the scraps.
25.25W nominated it for family movie as all his mates had recommended it.
MrsW bailed after first violence and 50.5W not long after. 25.25W stayed out of loyalty to his Dad but really didn’t want to 😂
I can only watch some stuff alone.
Most stuff I like I have to watch alone Fargo, Ozark, Hannibal, Handmaids Tale
I enjoyed it. I keep thinking about the poor guy who got shat on.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
24 Apr 2020, 1:31am
101Walterton wrote:
06 Apr 2020, 4:24pm
revbob wrote:
06 Apr 2020, 4:19pm
101Walterton wrote:
06 Apr 2020, 4:01pm
revbob wrote:
06 Apr 2020, 3:57pm

And people left to fight over the scraps.
25.25W nominated it for family movie as all his mates had recommended it.
MrsW bailed after first violence and 50.5W not long after. 25.25W stayed out of loyalty to his Dad but really didn’t want to 😂
I can only watch some stuff alone.
Most stuff I like I have to watch alone Fargo, Ozark, Hannibal, Handmaids Tale
I enjoyed it. I keep thinking about the poor guy who got shat on.
Tep got pissed on by a squirrel for real.

BostonBeaneater

revbob wrote:
24 Apr 2020, 8:26am

Tep got pissed on by a squirrel for real.
When was he in a dystopian Spanish prison?

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Piranha (2010) An underwater lake is uncovered after an earthquake and thousands of prehistoric piranha put hundreds of spring breakers at risk. Lots of gore, action, and tits in this Alexandre Aja remake of Joe Dante’s 1978 classic, but most of the visual gags were meant for a 3D audience. It’s still fun. With Elizabeth Shue, Adam Scott, Ving Rhames, Christopher Lloyd, Jerry O’Connell and lots of CGI and silicone.

Human Lanterns (1982) Kung Fu insanity about two wealthy townspeople trying to show eachother up at the annual lantern contest. One guy hires a lantern maker who uses human skin, and he hunts his mostly female prey while wearing an ape-skull mask. If you like gory skin-peeling mixed in with your Kung Fu, then this is the one.

Into the Dark – Midnight Kiss (2020) A group of longtime gay best friends, and one hag, celebrate New Year’s at a secluded house, where they are killed one by one by a man in a gimp costume. More male butts and glitter than your average slasher. From the director of The Ruins (2008)

Into the Dark – My Valentine (2020) Blue-haired aspiring pop star Valentine accuses her ex-boyfriend/manager of stealing her songs and giving her look to rival Trezzure, who becomes a star with it. It’s been 5 years, you’re both still going with the long blue hair and bangs? OK. The manager kidnaps her in a bar, does things no on in their right mind would do, including murder, girl fights back, meh. Easlity the work Into the Dark entry yet, and the first one I was about to turn off when I realized that Valentine was Brit Baron, who plays Justine in the wonderful series GLOW, so I made It to the end for her, and suffered through more synth-pop aimed at 13 year olds than I care to for the rest of my life.

Into the Dark – Crawlers (2020) A spunky drug dealer/conspiracy theorist and her newfound college-girl friends battle body-snatching space aliens during a drunken St. Paddy’s Day pub crawl. Despite a side-plot about frat boys and roofies, this was lighthearted and pretty tame. The aesthetic was good, since they were going for a light feel, I would have liked them to add some actual jokes or gags.

Masters of Horror: Dario Argento "Pelts" (2006) Meatloaf plays a sleazy fur trader who is going to "get rich beyond his wildest dreams" off some raccoon pelts that are apparently the best pelts in the world. They were magic raccoons, and most people who come across them eventually commit violent acts of self-mutilation and suicide. As silly as the plot was, it was violent as fuck, and there was some A+ nudity. John Saxon was the raccoon trapper. I googled raccoon pelts, even the best ones are only worth about $10, and Meatloaf had about a dozen, so I don’t know how rich he was expecting to get, but this is worth a watch if only for the tits and gore.

Masters of Horror: Joe Dante “The Screwfly Solution (2006) A worldwide virus causes males to commit random acts of violence against females. With Jason Priestley, Elliot Gould and Kerry Norton. Very good episode.

Masters of Horror: Mick Garris "Valerie on the Stairs" (2006) Mick Garris directs a Clive Barker story. A young writer who lives in an apartment for unpublished authors keeps seeing the beautiful Valerie in the halls, as she cries for his help. She is being kept by a demon, played by Tony Todd. Christoper Lloyd and two other longtime residents had written her, Valerie, a story that has come to life. This was not a bad episode. Lots of nice nudity from the title character, who somehow in real life managed to get married to Seth Green.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Crawl (2020) A competive swimmer, Haley Keller (Kaya Scodelario) searches for her missing father during a Hurricane. Finding him injured in the basement of the old family house. she must fight for survial against killer alligators and rising waters. Really like this one, great pacing and some good jump scares.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

daredevil wrote:
26 Apr 2020, 10:29pm
Crawl (2020) A competive swimmer, Haley Keller (Kaya Scodelario) searches for her missing father during a Hurricane. Finding him injured in the basement of the old family house. she must fight for survial against killer alligators and rising waters. Really like this one, great pacing and some good jump scares.
I liked it too, saw it in theater. It came up on cable recently, so I have it in my DVR in case I want to see it again, but it seems a little early.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

tepista wrote:
27 Apr 2020, 12:39pm
daredevil wrote:
I liked it too, saw it in theater. It came up on cable recently, so I have it in my DVR in case I want to see it again, but it seems a little early.
I should've seen it at the theater. I knew about this film, but forgot about it.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

daredevil wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 5:07am
tepista wrote:
daredevil wrote:
I should've seen it at the theater. I knew about this film, but forgot about it.
If I remember correctly, I CRAWLED in to Ready or Not in the same multiplex, nice double feature!

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Into the Dark – Pooka Lives (2020) The first sequel in the HULU original movie series. A disgraced writer creates an online challenge, similar to Bloody Mary or Candyman, where Pooka (the popular children’s toy from the first movie) appears to you if you’ve been bad, and kills you. Pretty fun stuff, and not necessary to see the first one. From the director of Juan of the Dead.

Underwater (2020) No false advertizing here, the whole thing takes place underwater. A deep sea drilling station explodes and short-haired Kristen Stewart and a small group of survivors have to make it safely from point A to Point B by walking across the ocean floor in space suits. The first hour is bearable enough, then the last 30 we’re rewarded with some pretty cool-looking Lovecraftian sea creatures.

Blue Velvet (1986) David Lynch’s modern noir classic about a young man (Kyle MacLachlan) who finds a human ear in a small town, and his amateur investigation leads him to a world of organized crime he never imagined. Dennis Hopper in arguably his most memorable role as Frank Booth, a nitrous oxide huffing maniac and sexual deviant who has a taste for Pabst Blue Ribbon and lip-syncing performances. Also with Isabella Rosselini, Laura Dern and Dean Stockwell. Not to be missed.

Masters of Horror: Rob Schmidt "Right to Die" (2007) Schmidt had Wrong Turn under his belt, and later the Alphabet Killer. A car accident puts a woman in the hospital and husband and mother-in-law are at odds over pulling the plug. It becomes a media sensation. The women flatlines a few times, and whenever she does, her ghost/spirit/whatever commits murder on those who have wronged her. Nudity from two women, including the wife, who has giant clownsized implants. Average episode, but a good ending, so I guess I'd say slightly above average.

Masters of Horror: Tom Holland “We All Scream for Ice Cream (2007) The ghost of a simple-minded, clown-costumed ice cream truck driver (William Forsythe) returns to seek revenge against the now-grown kids who played a deadly prank on him 20 years ago. No nudity, most of the gore was oozing ice cream textured gore. Not one of the better episodes, from the usually solid director of Child’s Play and Fright Night.

Masters of Horror: Stuart Gordon “The Black Cat” (2007) Jeffrey Combs reunites with his Re-Animator director as Edgar Alan Poe, whose self-destructive drinking leads to multiple hallucinations about the Poe-like death of his wife.

Masters of Horror: Peter Medak "The Washingtonians" (2007) Well, I don't know if Medak could be considered a master, with the Changeling and Species II as his only horror credits. A man drives his wife and daughter to his recently deceased grandmother's estate in Virginia, where he finds a letter, that if authentic, could prove that President Washington was a child murderer and a cannibal! Could this small town harbor a cult who calls themselves the Washingtonians, who wear Revolutionary War uniforms, powdered wigs and practice cannibalism themselves? If there was, you'd think they would want to obtain that letter at any cost. Silly yes, but a lot of fun.

The Last Drive-In with Joe Bob Briggs – Season 2 Week 1

Chopping Mall (1986) A mall employs the new technology of robot security, but they malfunction and attack the four teen couples that decided to have an after hours party at the furniture store. Funny and gory and nudity. With Barbara Crampton (Re-Animator), Kelli Maroney (Night of the Comet), Dick Miller, and a cameo from Paul Bartel and Mary Woronov reprising their “Eating Raoul” characters. Produced by Julie Corman. The best of Jim Wynorski’s 100+ movies.

When guest Kelli Maroney pointed out to Joe Bob her camel toe, it was the only thing I could think of the rest of the movie.

Blood Sucking Freaks (1976) Boy, this was a fave of mine as a teenager, but I hadn’t seen it in 30 years! An off-off Broadway theater run by the sadistic Sardu and his dwarf assistant Ralphus shows live torture and death under the guise that it’s fake, but it’s real. Non stop nudity, gore and depravity, it just goes on and on. Not for the faint of heart, but at the same time very tongue-in-cheek.

Joe Bob’s guest was pro wrestling legend Chris Jericho, a life-long fan of the film. Joe Bob suggested Chris get director Joel M Reed appear on his podcast, confirming my suspicions that they tape this a few weeks in advance.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Watched this this morning. Utterly captivating documentary with no narration and minimal captions, just archival footage telling the story. The slow motion close-up of the launch is a moment where I'm sure my breathing slowed down. Super highly recommended. I remain a full-on romantic when it comes to NASA in the 60s.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Finally got to watch The Gentleman last night.
Had heard lots about Hugh Grant’s performance and as someone who can’t stand Hugh Grant I didn’t think I’d get past that however have to say he was great!!
I enjoyed the film, typical Guy Ritchie, but over use of the C word was annoying!! It was used so much it lost its shock value and comedic affect and just became offensive.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

tepista wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 2:08pm
daredevil wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 5:07am
tepista wrote:
daredevil wrote:
If I remember correctly, I CRAWLED in to Ready or Not in the same multiplex, nice double feature!
I miss being able to jump theaters. Ready Or Not is next for me. A friend at work D/L films from several different sources which when done you have the complete movie. then its put on a memory stick. In return I buy lunch. I'd do it myself but am paranoid about computer viruses.