movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: movies

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 4:53pm
laxman wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 4:43pm
revbob wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 4:09pm
laxman wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 4:07pm
Flex wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 2:43pm
I have just watched all the original 5 films with Laxgirl. She really liked them and appreciated this joke. We are currently working our way through the TV series.
The TV series is available?

I've got it on DVD.
I was a loyal viewer back in the day. Never had a proper ending as I recall.
No, it died an undignified but deserved death. Criminally dull.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 5:54pm
revbob wrote:
laxman wrote:
revbob wrote:
laxman wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 4:07pm

I have just watched all the original 5 films with Laxgirl. She really liked them and appreciated this joke. We are currently working our way through the TV series.

I've got it on DVD.
I don't doubt it. I think it was one of those shows I kept watching with the hope that something good might happen but watch it I did. Of course TV in those days was REALLY awful.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 6:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
laxman wrote:
revbob wrote:

I've got it on DVD.
I don't doubt it. I think it was one of those shows I kept watching with the hope that something good might happen but watch it I did. Of course TV in those days was REALLY awful.
It was basically The Fugitive or, later, The Incredible Hulk. Every week the two astronauts move on to a new village, following hope of finding a way home and being chased Urko, and get involved in local drama. I've got the dvd's (of course) if you really want to see them, but it's really nothing to do with PotA themes, just the costumes and setting.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 6:56pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
laxman wrote:

I've got it on DVD.
It was basically The Fugitive or, later, The Incredible Hulk. Every week the two astronauts move on to a new village, following hope of finding a way home and being chased Urko, and get involved in local drama. I've got the dvd's (of course) if you really want to see them, but it's really nothing to do with PotA themes, just the costumes and setting.
Yeah that sounds familiar. "Taylor was here a week ago, we just missed him."

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

revbob wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 7:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

That was going to be my description too. Might have mentioned Kung Fu and Fantastic Journey as other examples of the formula. On the positive side, Roddy McDowell seemed to be having a great time, so he keeps us entertained every episode. I read that he enjoyed making the TV series more than the films.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

laxman wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 2:44am
revbob wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 7:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

That was going to be my description too. Might have mentioned Kung Fu and Fantastic Journey as other examples of the formula. On the positive side, Roddy McDowell seemed to be having a great time, so he keeps us entertained every episode. I read that he enjoyed making the TV series more than the films.
I never saw Fantastic Journey but yeah Kung Fu did follow that but I feel it was done fairly well. When my son was little we watched many Kung Fu episodes. What was funny was how we would see where stunt doubles would come in who looked nothing like the regular characters in some fight scenes something I never noticed as a kid but my son would see it right away. Not sure if it is because of the better resolution or I just wasn't paying close attention.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

The Believers (1987) Martin Sheen is a recently widowed police therapist who counsels undercover cop Jimmy Smits, who has a handful of brutal child murders pinned to him after getting too deep in a voodoo cult. Robert Loggia is a hard-nosed police lieutenant. Sheen soon finds his son in grave danger. Helen Shaver provides a quick full-frontal as Sheen’s love interest, long enough to realize she’s not a shaver at all! Well, no one was in 1987. Oscar Winner John Schlessinger (Midnight Cowboy) directs. Mostly corny, but it had it’s moments. I hadn’t seen it since it was a new release on VHS.

Straight Edge Kegger (2019) After Brad dumps his no-fun punk buddies and starts hanging out with a drink or two, his former compadres pull a home invasion on a house party and kill the fuck out of everyone, including a pair of grossly incompetent cops. Talk about overreaction! Played serious, maybe some humor would have helped. Only 80 minutes, nothing I’d see twice.

Pyewacket (2017) An angry Emo (I think) teen puts a death ritual on her recently widowed mother (The Walking Dead’s Laurie Holden) in a fit of rage after being moved away from her friends. Once cooler heads prevail she realizes she didn’t mean it, but try telling that to a curse! The teens listen to Lords of the New Church, good for you, young people! This one goes the subtle route and was very effective, I liked it a lot.

A Classic Horror Story (2021) A camper full of ride-sharers traveling through Italy crashes off the road, and somehow finds itself nowhere near the road itself. Then they run afoul of cult-style killers in a cabin. Mediocre. A Netflix original, In Italian with subtitles.

Gunpowder Milkshake (2021) is a wannabe Kill Bill with cartoonish violence, a good cast, and dull characters. Karen Gillan is a hired assassin who pisses off the brass when she changes the plan to save an endangered little girl. With Lena Headey, Angella Bassett, Michelle Yeough, Carla Gugino and Paul Giamatti. Kalevet by the same director was great, and Big Bad Wolves has been on my watchlist, but this was flat. Not to say you can't have fun with the action scenes, but don't expect a good movie.

Here Comes Hell (2019) A 1930s dinner party looks like it’s going to be an “Old Dark House” type, but ends up closer to an Evil Dead parody in this quick (75 minutes) black & white comedy, which I wish was a little funnier. Not bad, but I wouldn’t watch it again.

Girl Boss Blues: Queen Bee’s Challenge (1972) Reiko Ike is back as the female delinquent boss of a rough and tough girl gang, at odds with another of the same, while both fall under the rule of the even more violent male yakuza gangs. I love the sex and violence of the pinky genre, but this one started to blur into the others, I didn’t find it one of the better entries. Or maybe I should put some more time between watches.

Scream 4 (2011) Sidney, Gale and Dewey return as the often stabbed but never killed heroes of Woodsboro, surrounded by a new cast of young-and-good-lookings to be the targets of the new Ghostface. Emma Robert’s plays Neve Campbell’s niece, Alison Brie her agent. Planet Terror’s Marley Shelton is a deputy. I had only seen this once, ten years ago. It was entertaining. Here’s my unpopular option, when I re-watched the Scream franchise shortly after Wes’ death, they didn’t really age well in my eyes. Especially 2 & 3. Oh well.

Battle Royale (2000) In the not-too-distant future, a Japanese government funded project kidnaps a group of forty 9th graders, arms them, and forces then to battle to their deaths on a remote island. Probably seen this a half dozen times now, but the first time in English! I’d recommend the subtitled version, but whatever you prefer, this a must see. A 10/10 if there ever was one, 11/10 if that’s allowed!
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Hey Tep, can you give me a Top 5 recommendations on Midnight Pulp?
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Flex wrote:
12 Aug 2021, 10:16pm
Sure. I did a scroll and here's some great ones that don't have the premium tag (i.e. free)

The Untold Story is based on a true story of a murderer who sold human meat dumplings in a Hong Kong restaurant. And it's partially a comedy!
The Female Convict Scorpion 4-rilogy is some great women in prison shit
Purdita Durango I've raved about fairly recently
Cheap Thrills is fucking great
Vampyros Lesbos is a psychedelic sexy classic
Dario Argento's giallo legends Deep Red and Bird with the Crystal Plumage are both there, as is my personal fave giallo, What Have You Done to Solange?
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

tepista wrote:
12 Aug 2021, 11:29pm
Flex wrote:
12 Aug 2021, 10:16pm
Sure. I did a scroll and here's some great ones that don't have the premium tag (i.e. free)

The Untold Story is based on a true story of a murderer who sold human meat dumplings in a Hong Kong restaurant. And it's partially a comedy!
The Female Convict Scorpion 4-rilogy is some great women in prison shit
Purdita Durango I've raved about fairly recently
Cheap Thrills is fucking great
Vampyros Lesbos is a psychedelic sexy classic
Dario Argento's giallo legends Deep Red and Bird with the Crystal Plumage are both there, as is my personal fave giallo, What Have You Done to Solange?
Fantastic, I'll pick through these in the coming weeks. Thanks man!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

I want to see this at a theater, but it looks to be limited to certain areas

revbob
Unknown Immortal