movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Re: movies

Post by daredevil »

revbob wrote:
13 Aug 2021, 4:02pm
tepista wrote:
13 Aug 2021, 3:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Aug 2021, 3:19pm
revbob wrote:
13 Aug 2021, 2:38pm
daredevil wrote:
13 Aug 2021, 1:10am
I want to see this at a theater, but it looks to be limited to certain areas
Oohhh Mary Elizabeth Winstead.
I remember her bum from Fargo.
everyone loves MEW, if they're in their right mind
RevTep has spoken.
I love anything with MEW, but this movie should be damn awesome

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

well, he might learn about eggs.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Fatal Games aka Olympic Nightmare (1987) Young Olympic hopefuls train at a prestigious academy, only to get picked off one by one by a mad javelin thrower. Could it be the angry young javelin trainee? No, he dies early. Could it be the doctor who is administering experimental treatments on his patients? Or an angry coach or rival? The twist/reveal at the end is the best part of the movie, and perhaps a few missed opportunities for sporting equipment kills instead of using a javelin every time. There are countless shower scenes to break the monotony though. Sally Kirkland, who was nominated for an Oscar the very same year for Anna, plays a lesbian physical therapist who isn’t shy about ass grabbing during a massage.

Criminal Woman: Killing Melody (1973) Recently released from prison, Reiko Ike teams up with her old cellmates to exact revenge on the yakuza who killed her father. Miki Sugimoto, also and old prison buddy, happens to be her target’s main squeeze. The 10th cinematic pairing pairing of Reiko and Miki (according to the dvd liner notes), this one delivers the goods.

The Boy Behind the Door (2020) Two little league baseball players are kidnapped. One escapes, but rather than flee he re-enters the house to rescue his buddy, where a deadly game of cat and mouse ensues. Complete with a “how dumb can this cop possibly be?” scene, I wasn’t super-impressed.

Dead Calm (1989) Sam Neil and Nicole Kidman on a boating trip rescue Billy Zane from a sinking yacht. Sam, a career navy guy, goes to check out the distressed vessel..uh oh, ya sure you wanna leave your wife alone with a stranger? Fun, but formulaic 80s/90s type thriller with an ending you’ve seen a hundred times, but that’s OK. Some brief, pre-boob job nudity from Nicole.

The Rental (2020) Air B&B horror about two couples in a vacation house that realize they’re being filmed, and possibly something worse. Alison Brie plays the only likable character, Dan Stevens (The Guest) is her boyfriend, and Sheila Vand, who I only realized this moment was “the girl” from A Girl Walks Home at Night, and some other douchey guy round out the cast. Alison’s real-life hubby, David Franco, is a first time director. Liked it, wouldn’t watch twice.

Wicked Stepmother (1989) Larry Cohen’s PG-13 comedy about an old witch who infiltrates a family to make them rich, then steal their money is the last film of screen legend Bette Davis. Poor Bette looks decrepit and she would die the same year of filming. About halfway through the movie she’s suddenly not in it anymore, as it is reported the she quit during filming. Not sure if this was a rewrite or what, but her character’s soul jumps back and forth into the body of her supposed daughter, played by the gorgeous Nicaraguan model-actress Barbara Carrera. No complaints when she was on screen. Mostly cornball, but some joke were funny, and a gag where Colleen Camp says Bette can’t take the place of her mother, we get a shot of a framed photo of Joan Crawford was pretty clever! Also with Richard Moll and Tom Bosley, I wouldn't recommend it unless you’re a Larry Cohen completest. Or a Bette Davis one.

Gaia (2020) A park ranger gets injured in the woods and by a father and son who’ve quite society and live a mud people. The danger is a mushroom that spores will eat a human’s eyeballs out and turn it into a living, blood-drinking fungus. The focus was mostly on the mud people and an eco message, but this was pretty good. I don’t think I’ve seen many South African movies. Some brief nudity from the beautiful lead, Monique Rockman. Made me want to watch Matango (1963)

El Incidente (2014) A cop chases two drug users into an apartment stairwell where they find themselves trapped in nine flights of stairs that repeat when you reach the top or bottom. Then a family of four on a road trip find themselves similarly trapped on stretch of highway that repeats itself, and the asthmatic daughter needs her inhaler. Are the two instances related? Find out how in this insanely complex time-loop drama from the future director of the outstanding “The Similars” from 2015. In Spanish with subs.

Aenigma (1987) A prank-gone-wrong leaves a homely college girl in a coma, and now uses the new girl in school’s body as a vessel to cause supernatural deaths to her un-remorsefull classmates in this Partick-esque, but pretty dull effort from Lucio Fulci. Light on sex and gore for a Fulci film. I mean there’s some, but come on, it’s Fulci.

Rica 2: Lonely Wanderer (1973) The Japanese/American half-breed ass-kicker is back, saving innocents from human trafficking yakuzas in this sequel, with much less sex and violence than the first entry. Rika Aoki returns as the title character and wears a lot of cute outfits.

The Little Things (2021) MAINSTREAM REVIEW ALERT! Denzel Washington is a former LA cop, now working in a small town and seeking redemption. How original. Jared Leto is a suspected serial killer, smarter than the cops and engaging hem in mind games. Also how original. Rami Malek is the hotshot cop on the case who still has his Freddy Mercury teeth in form the last movie, what an overbite on that kid. Were those his real teeth? Dudsville.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Candyman (2021) was SO FUCKING GOOD!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

tepista wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 5:03pm
I'm hearing so many mixed things about it. I do love the 93 one. How does it compare?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

matedog wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 5:15pm
tepista wrote:
I'm hearing so many mixed things about it. I do love the 93 one. How does it compare?
it's a direct sequel.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Suicide Squad (2021) was awesome! 100 times better than the first one.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

daredevil wrote:
06 Sep 2021, 9:39pm
Agreed!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Flex wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 12:01pm
daredevil wrote:
06 Sep 2021, 9:39pm
Agreed!
I liked it too

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

tepista wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 5:16pm
matedog wrote:
tepista wrote:
it's a direct sequel.
Must check this out.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 12:34pm
tepista wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 5:16pm
matedog wrote:
tepista wrote:
it's a direct sequel.
Must check this out.
Me too. I liked the one from the 90's with Virginia Madsen

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Watched Mortdecai on streaming and thought it was hilarious, despite the Internet absolutely ripping it to shreds when it came out. Transparently going for a sweary/bawdy Wodehouse thing, but I think it worked (more or less).

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Candyman (2021) Nia DaCosta directs and co-writes with Jordan Peele, based on the 1992 classic from Bernard Rose based on a Clive Barker short. I was expecting a “reboot” but this was actually a direct sequel to the original, and fucking loved it. You can probably see it without seeing the original, but why would you want to? I’m very much looking forward to seeing it again.

Jakobs Wife (2021) Barbara Crampton is a bored minister’s wife who suddenly has a lust for life…and human blood when she’s bitten by a vampire. Larry Fessenden is the husband caught between an internal struggle of Good vs Honor Thy Wife. It kept getting better as it went along, as it strayed from the formula. From the director of Girl on the Third Floor.

Wrong Turn (2021) A group of unlikable, hiking millennials get kidnapped not by, DEFORMED INBRED HILLBILLIES, but by a NOT DEFORMED, possibly inbred community of descendants of Civil War objectors. Why was this called Wrong Turn? Because it had the same screenwriter as the original? Why did the leader of these cave dwellers have a perfectly manicured beard and haircut? Why did I sit through the entire 1:50 runtime when I knew I hated it in the first 10 minutes? I have more questions than answers, but I do know this makes the list of my least favorite movies of all time.

Werewolves Within (2021) A fun whodunnit with a group of small-towners snowed in at an Inn with a possible werewolf on the prowl. Good, likeable characters, led by Sam “Detroiters” Richardson as a park ranger and Milana “AT&T” Vayntrub as a mail carrier. Director Josh Ruben’s first feature was last year’s not too bad Scare Me, this was way better.

That Last Exorcism Part II (2013) OK, why would I watch this movie a second time after 8 years? Well I loved the first one, and I remember thinking the sequel wasn’t too bad, despite barely remembering it. Well, the reason I didn’t remember it was because practically nothing happens the whole movie. Nell checks into a halfway house in New Orleans with no recollection of the events of the first film. Then the demon kinda wants her back, then he kinda gets her back, then they kinda exorcise it. The end.

28 Weeks Later (2007) Sequel to the 2002 classic takes place in a safe zone after the virus outbreak is contained, but after some ridiculously relaxed military security, it’s back. The drama in the first half was pretty good, when a father was reunited with his kids and told them their mom was dead, only for them to find she wasn’t, the second was standard zombie fare, slightly better than average. With Rose Bryne, Jeremy Renner, Idris Elba, and Imogene Poots.

Wonder Women aka The Deadly and the Beautiful (1973) The sinister Dr. Tsu (Nancy Kwan) and her army of sexy assassins kidnap world class athletes and sell their body parts for transplant to old rich people. Boy, PG movies were something else in the day, there was nudity in the very first scene! Despite the wild premise, Sid Haig, and a dozen beauties including genre favorite Roberta Collins, this Filipino cheapie was mostly laughs. Ted Mikel’s The Doll Squad would come out the same year, better movie with a similar premise. Writer/Director Robert Vincent O’Neil would get his shit together in 1983 when he made one of my alltime faves, Angel.

Dave Made a Maze (2017) What an interesting fantasy this was. A man builds a cardboard labyrinth in the living room of his apartment that takes a life of its own, gets lost in it, and his girlfriend and his buddies go in after him, and some get killed by the Minotaur that manifests itself. A lot of creative cardboard sets, and “Diversion” by The Equals in the opening credits had me locked in from the start!

In the Earth (2021) Eco horror from Brit director Ben Wheatly about some scientists who get kidnapped in the woods, and all kinda weird shit happens, but I’m afraid I just couldn’t get into it. Maybe I wasn’t in the right mindset, but I was bored and distracted from the start. I’m gonna have to give a thumbs down.

Superhost (2021) A travel vlogging couple stays at an AirBnB and the owner keeps dropping by for hardly any reason at all. Is she just quirky or is she dangerously psychotic? I thought she was cute, so maybe I’m the one who’s crazy. Fun, minimalist horror with one location and 3.5 characters. Barbara Crampton shows up for a bit. AirBnB Horror is a thing now!

Aquaslash (2019) A graduating high school class has a party at a water park, when a killer starts knocking them off, culminating in booby trapped slides during the big finale. Drugs, sex, pretty girls, bikinis, wet t-shirts, even a bit of nudity, and under 70 minutes. I wouldn’t call it good, but I’ve spent worse hours.

Dead End Drive-In (1986) In the not-too-distant future in Australia, a young man takes his girlfriend to the Drive-Ins, and soon finds out he’s stuck there permanently after the cops steal his wheels. You’d think word would get out that the Drive-In is a makeshift prison for hoodlums and people would stop showing up, but what do I know. You got your prison fights and your cliques, then suddenly a potential race war is on the table when the feds drop a busload of Asians to the mix. Is there any escape? Fun movie from Brian Trenchard-Smith (who’s classic Turkey Shoot plays on the screen, among others) with violence, nudity and a message.