movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: movies

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
02 Dec 2023, 6:30pm
I was looking up the Adjustment Bureau on IMDB and as always I had to look at the "Parents Guide".

Screenshot_20231202_172819_IMDb.jpg

Running Red Lights!?!? Its a total breakdown in society I tell ya. So violent, so gory.
I think the biggest warning is that it's an entirely forgettable movie. Somehow I have a ripped copy, I know I've watched it, yet I can't remember a damned thing other than Matt Damon and John Slattery are in it. That's probably 33–50% on me.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Dec 2023, 7:48pm
revbob wrote:
I was looking up the Adjustment Bureau on IMDB and as always I had to look at the "Parents Guide".

Running Red Lights!?!? Its a total breakdown in society I tell ya. So violent, so gory.
I think the biggest warning is that it's an entirely forgettable movie. Somehow I have a ripped copy, I know I've watched it, yet I can't remember a damned thing other than Matt Damon and John Slattery are in it. That's probably 33–50% on me.
But the red light scene really stuck with you right?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
02 Dec 2023, 7:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Well, punk rawk cred and all, right?
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Dec 2023, 7:59pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

I saw it listed as a sci fi movie so was curious. My wife said "Matt Damon :huh: :meh: :yuck: "

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
02 Dec 2023, 8:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Dec 2023, 7:59pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

I saw it listed as a sci fi movie so was curious. My wife said "Matt Damon :huh: :meh: :yuck: "

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Watched Oppenheimer. Judged against the hype, I wasn't terribly impressed. The disjointed narrative may have some artistic appeal, but unless you're reasonably familiar with the story and characters in advance, I think it hinders things. As is, given the enormity of moral issues involved—which never come off as anything but abstract—it's hard to give a fuck about Oppenheimer's personal demons or persecution.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Tep, have you seen Santa Claws? It's on Tubi - written, produced and directed by John Russo. Starring Debbie Rochon. It's, ah, something.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Flex wrote:
08 Dec 2023, 1:39am
Tep, have you seen Santa Claws? It's on Tubi - written, produced and directed by John Russo. Starring Debbie Rochon. It's, ah, something.
less than 90 min, i'll squeeze it in somewhere this week.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

It’s a Wonderful Knife (2023) After nipping a Christmas Eve killing spree in the bud, a high school student wonders what life would be if she was never born in this slasher version of the 1946 holiday classic. Grown-ups include Joel McHale, Katherine Isabelle, and The Smoking Man himself, William B. Davis. (SHUDDER)

Godzilla Minus One (2023) The latest Japanese version has been in the conversation for best in franchase, and could very well be. A serious period piece, set in post-WWII Japan with great CGI (I know) and an absoulty RUTHLESS monster. See this on the big screen if you have a chance. (theater)

Doberman Cop (1977) Sonny Chiba is country cop from Okinawa looking for an island girl in big city Tokyo. There's also a maniac who strangles and burns prostitutes. Not the best Chiba gimmick I’ve seen, but the action scenes were good. (Midnight Pulp)

Rasputin: the Mad Monk (1966) Hammer's fictional account of Grigori Rasputin (1869-1916) and his influence over the Russian monarchy. Christopher Lee plays the title character, a holy man with the ability to heal with his hands and hypnotize with his eyes, but he only uses these great gifts to drink for free and force women to have sex with him. That is until he meets Barbara Shelley, a socialite who went slumming with friends one night and ended up under the hypnotic powers of Rasputin. She has access to the Czar's son, and on Rasputin's wish, she injures the boy and then tells the Czarina that she knows of a monk who has healing power in his hands. It is at this time that Rasputin uses his powers to secure his place in the Russian hierarchy. Chopped off hands, acid in the face, assassination attempts and a powerful performance by the great Christopher Lee make this a top notch Hammer flick. In the theater, kids were given fake Rasputin beards with admission. (TCM/cable)

Like Rabid Dogs (1976) A rich college boy and his pals go on a robbery and murder spree for no other reason than to rebel against his rich father. A cop know who the culprit is, but can’t prove it. Brutally violent, with more nudity than most. (Blu-ray)

Ma tou da jue dou aka Chinese Hercules (1973) After killing his girlfriend's brother in self-defense, a young man flees to take a job on the dock and vows never to use his fists in violence again. When the syndicate takes over the dock leaving dozens unemployed, he maintains his vow, but when the workers fight for justice, the mob brings in Bolo Yeung (The Chinese Hercules) to slaughterthem all, and our hero must make a choice. (TUBI)

Nightmare Honeymoon (1974) When a city slicker and his Cajun bride witness a murder on the bayou, so begins their redneck adventure, but the real nightmare was for anyone who saw this in the theater. Of all the hicksploitation rape/revenge movies I've seen, this is the dullest one I can think of. (YouTube)

Shocking Dark (1989) This Italian cheap-o was originally released as Terminator 2! Yes, there was a cyborg, but the James Cameron movie it seemed to be ripping off the most was Aliens. Other than the creatures were created from chemical pollution rather than extra-terrestrial, they were being perused up and down corridors by a commando team (including Demoni’s Geretta Geretta) and they even found their very own “Newt!” Laughably bad but highly entertaining stuff from Bruno Mattei. (Midnight Pulp)

The Last Matinee (2020) South American homage to the giallo/slasher genre about a killer on the loose in a sparsely crowded movie theater on a rainy day. The main character is a college student who’s manning the projection booth for her sick father. Some fun kills, and overall pretty good. Second watch. Some fun trivia, the film playing in the theater is Frankenstein: Day of the Beast from 2011, which was directed by the actor who plays the killer! In Spanish w/ subs. (SHUDDER)

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Dec 2023, 3:47pm
Watched Oppenheimer. Judged against the hype, I wasn't terribly impressed. The disjointed narrative may have some artistic appeal, but unless you're reasonably familiar with the story and characters in advance, I think it hinders things. As is, given the enormity of moral issues involved—which never come off as anything but abstract—it's hard to give a fuck about Oppenheimer's personal demons or persecution.
Oppenheimer was good, but the scenes are so short, you barely have time to breath.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

daredevil wrote:
12 Dec 2023, 10:41pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Dec 2023, 3:47pm
Oppenheimer was good, but the scenes are so short, you barely have time to breath.
I hadn't noticed that at the time. Perhaps that, too, impacted my feeling of being underwhelmed. That is, the short scenes limited any attachment to the characters.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

The Advent Calendar aka Le Calendrier (2021) A young woman in wheelchair receives an antique advent calendar for her early December birthday, and soon discovers that that all the candies and gifts have specific, real-life consequences, and some of them violent. Good main character, highly enjoyable. This is one to be seen, my second watch in three years. French, with subtitles. (SHUDDER)

Silent Night, Bloody Night (1972) An heir returns to a small town on Christmas Eve to sell his Grandfather’s house, which had been empty for decades. The town officials are against it, but they’re dead soon enough after a run in with a mysterious stranger at the house. Through flashback we find the house has a history of violent Christmases. Mary Woronov is the mayor’s daughter. Has a very good ending. Writer/Director Ted Gurshuny doesn’t have too many credits, but he wrote and directed 5 or 6 Tales From the Darkside episodes. (Midnight Pulp)

The Exorcist: Believer (2023) I don’t want to hate something just because everyone else does, and I don’t want to pile on, either, but I guess I’m gonna. This was the worst, most uninspired,dull, cookie cutter pile of shit I’ve seen in years. An embarrassment. (The ‘cock)

Sweet Sixteen (1983) Pretty teenage Melissa is the new girl in a small Texas town and she’s out for drugs and a good time. This spells bad news for horny teenage boys, as they start turning up dead. The locals are quick to blame the Native American population. This pretty good slasher also has some grown ups, Bo Hopkins, Susan Strasberg, and Patrick Macnee. (TUBI)

The Possessed aka The Lady of the Lake (1965) A novelist returns to a previous vacation spot and is saddened to find that his favorite hotel maid has been a recent victim of suicide. Upon investigation it appears very unlikely that she took her own life. Good proto-giallo from the director of The Fifth Cord. (Midnight Pulp)

Our Mother’s House (1967) To avoid the orphanage, 7 kids bury their dead mum in the garden, cash her checks, and proceed with business as usual. When deadbeat dad (Dirk Bogarde) gets wind of this he reaches for his piece of the pie. With Pamela Franklin and Mark Lester. (TCM/cable)

Victim (1961) Dirk Bogarde is a closeted barrister who risks exposure when he tries to put a stop to a London blackmailing ring, as homosexuality was an imprisonable offense in England at the time. Good movie (TCM/cable)

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Had time to kill so thd wife and I watched "Leave the World Behind" It was basically waiting for a payoff that never happens. Disappointing doesn't begin to describe it. Lots of setups for things that never happen.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

revbob wrote:
17 Dec 2023, 7:28pm
Had time to kill so thd wife and I watched "Leave the World Behind" It was basically waiting for a payoff that never happens. Disappointing doesn't begin to describe it. Lots of setups for things that never happen.
I started it stopped about half an hour in. Boring. In my experiece, Netflix movies aren't very good.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Mimi wrote:
17 Dec 2023, 8:58pm
revbob wrote:
17 Dec 2023, 7:28pm
I started it stopped about half an hour in. Boring. In my experiece, Netflix movies aren't very good.
Yeah I just figured with a strong cast...