movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: movies

Post by revbob »

To be fair I haven't watched the latest iteration but I was bored to tears and fell asleep a few times during the Stink version that came out in the 80s.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Bodies Bodies Bodies (2022) Rich, influencer-type millennials at a pool party play a murder-mystery game that soon turns deadly. I admit, I was kinda hate-watching it at first, but when it turned into a Ten Little Indians plot I got into it, and I liked the ending. Perfectly fine for a one-time watch. (Showtime)

Nightmare (1981) An egghead professor releases a psychotic murderer from his care after he is deemed cured with the help of experimental drugs. How do ya think that turns out? He kills many people while on his way to his childhood home, where a cute single mom and her bratty kids live. Also known as Nightmare in a Damaged Brain, this Florida indie gained notoriety for being an original “Video Nasty” and even more so for having Tom Savini’s name in the credits, despite Tom denying, and even suing the filmmakers to have his name taken off. Tom, or no Tom, this movie is gory as fuck, has some nudity, and should do the trick for 80s slasher fans. I’ve probably seen it a half dozen times over the years. (DVD)

The New York Ripper (1982) Lucio Fulci's sleazy giallo/slasher about young women being sliced up on and around 42nd street and the Staten Island Ferry by a guy with a duck voice, and a cop looking for suspects. Lots of gore and nudity, and better than a lot of Fulci flicks. (SHUDDER)

The Beast in Heat aka SS Hell Camp aka Horrifying Experiments of SS Last Days (1977) A cold-hearted, female SS officer oversees a sex-torture program centered around a genetic neanderthal creature with an insatiable sexual appetite. Meanwhile in the nearby village, a resistance is building to fight the nazi occupation. Shocking and offensive just for the sake of this, and this was one of the original Video Nasties. (Midnight Pulp)

Suspicion (1941) Joan Fontaine is a shy heiress who has a whirlwind romance with unemployed playboy Cary Grant that results in a quick marriage, but when the honeymoon phase ends she suspects her man may be capable of anything, including murder, to save himself from having to punch a time card! Fun thriller from Alfred Hitchcock. (TCM/cable)

Starcrash (1987) Caroline Munro is Stella Star, a kung fu fightin' space bikini wearin' ass kicker with a cowboy accent havin' android sidekick in this Italian Star Wars clone from Luigi Cozzi, with Marjoe Gortner, David Hasselhoff, Christopher Plummer and Joe Spinell. Scratch this one off the bucket list! (TUBI)

Nezura 1964 (2020) is a faux doc on the failed production of "Giant Horde Beast Nezura" which was Daiei Film's pre-Gamera attempt to join the kaiju wars. It was apparently shut down by the health department, as the production used 100s of live rats on miniature sets caused neighbors to complain. 54 minutes, and 10 of that is credits. (Midnight Pulp)

Mafia Junction aka Super Bitch (1973) The Italian title literally translates to that translates to Can anyone be more of a bastard than Inspector Cliff? Ivan Rassimov is Cliff, he’s undercover. There’s hookers, drugs, wiseguy shit, a ton of nudity and bullets. Stephanie Beacham is the top billed female, and if you hoped she would undress in Dracula AD 1972, well, you had to wait a year. Massimo Dallamano directed the great giallo, What Have you done to Solange? (DVD)

Brain Damage (1988) A young man becomes addicted to a hallucinogenic drug that a creature resembling a large turd injects directly into his brain in exchange for taking him around town to murder people and consume the contents of their skulls! This was a fave of mine as a teenager and I was thrilled to find it holds up quite well all these years later. In fact, I believe a few graphic scenes were restored, particularly the back alley blow-job. The second feature from the director of Basket Case, Frank Henenlotter, and his second New York sleaze-classic. (SHUDDER)

Gamera vs Viras (1968) This is the one I had the best memory of from when I watched it over and over as a kid when it played on US TV as “Destroy All Planets”. Two mischievous boy scouts, one Japanese, one American, are in a toy submarine in the ocean when aliens attack Gamera, the giant turtle who protects children. The ship is a great, bumble bee striped set of spheres, attached to each other. After a few failed attempts at defeating the turtle, they end up kidnapping the boys and using a mind control device on Gamera, and turn him loose on the city. The boys are pretty resourceful though, they manage to escape and release Gamera from his servitude. In a scene that was way too intense for the 8-year old that this film was made for, an alien creature with tentacles for legs and on its head, decapitates the heads of his six humanoid servants and merges with them, creating one giant beast who will have a final showdown with Gamera once and for all. This film is where Gamera made the transition from a monster who destroyed cities, yet occasionally saved children against the greater evils, to a 100% protector of children and Earth. And it was also the debut of the “Gamera March” which appears in the opening credits with singing children, and throughout the film as an instrumental. Come back soon, Gamera, now you have a theme song! (DVD)

Escape From Hell (1980) A drunken doctor must protect the inmates of a jungle female prison camp from the cruel warden and the rapey guards, with all the showers, skinny dips and venomous snakes you'd expect. Filmed by Italians in the Philippines, this was later edited into another WIP movie, Savage Island with Linda Blair. From the director of the giallo Tropic of Cancer, and a handful of spaghetti westerns. (DVD)

Evil Dead Rise (2023) Three kids drop a pizza, and even though it didn’t fall out of the box they decided it was unsalvageable. No wonder their mom was pissed. I try not to call a new release a classic until I’ve seen it twice, but this seems right there and I liked it better than 2013. See it in the theater. (Theater)

The Northman (2022) Robert Egger’s epic saga of viking revenge with an allstar cast. Pretty good, not really my cup of tea though. I’d like if Eggers would double letter all his movies, The NNorthman, the LLighthouse, etc. (Amazon Prime)

The Rats are Coming – The Werewolves are Here (1972) I hadn’t watched an Andy Milligan directed movie in 30 years, and no, I hadn’t forgotten why, I just enjoy the title so much I wanted to scratch it off the list. A turn-of-the-century soap opera about a rich family that doesn’t approve of the daughter’s choice of fiance. Except they’re werewolves, which we find out in the surprisingly action packed final 8 minutes. Scenes of rats seemed tacked on, based on the recent success of Willard. Skip it unless you want to punish yourself. (Midnight Pulp)

Women’s Prison Massacre (1983) Four death row inmates make a temporary stop at a female facility during a transfer, and from the title, you can be sure the transfer did not go as planned! With Laura Gemser and Gabriele Tinti, and an unforgettable scene with a razor blade and a champagne cork, this Bruno Mattei sleazefest delivers the goods. Beware of edited versions, this should be 89 minutes. (DVD)

The Last Drive-In with Jo Bob Briggs: Season 5 Week 1 Lucio Fulci week! I’ve written a paragraph for Zombi and The Beyond so many times I’ll just skip that part. JBB and Darcy did a late Night Talk Show parody, complete with guests (Ian McCulloch of Zombi, AEW’s Danhausen, Bobcat Goldthwait, and more) and best of all, a live band for the entire (5 hours plus) show, led by Fabio Frizzi, who scored just about every Fulci movie from 1979 on. (SHUDDER)
Last edited by tepista on 28 Apr 2023, 11:49am, edited 1 time in total.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

oops

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

tepista wrote:
28 Apr 2023, 11:19am

Evil Dead Rise (2023) Three kids drop a pizza, and even though it didn’t fall out of the box they decided it was unsalvageable. No wonder their mom was pissed. I try not to call a new release a classic until I’ve seen it twice, but this seems right there and I liked it better than 2013. See it in the theater. (Theater)
Won't be able to see it in a theater, but glad to hear this one is good. I'll have to wait until the wife is out of town to catch it on tv over the course of like three nights because that's how I watch movies these days.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I watched this on its first run and it has stayed very firmly in my mind ever since. Steve Coogan makes a parody of the Amicus anthologies and later Hammer Horror. It probably had a part to play in molding my preferences. If it's as good as I recall (which it may well not be!) it belongs to be spoken about in the same breath as Garth Marenghi's Darkplace. Dr. Terrible's House of Horrible:

https://www.dailymotion.com/search/terr ... ble/videos
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

tepista wrote:
28 Apr 2023, 11:19am
The Northman (2022) Robert Egger’s epic saga of viking revenge with an allstar cast. Pretty good, not really my cup of tea though. I’d like if Eggers would double letter all his movies, The NNorthman, the LLighthouse, etc. (Amazon Prime)
I was pretty disappointed in this after his first two. He said he thought of them as a thematic trilogy but I missed the intimate dread of the first two. The NNorthman, I thought, was much louder, more chaotic, bombastic, etc. More like an action movie, more conventional than I was looking forward to.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Scream VI (2023) Ghostface Takes Manhattan in the never ending saga about a line of copycat killers. I liked it a little bit better than I expected. Wouldn’t watch twice, will watch 7.

The Holy Mountain (1973) Jesus Christ returns to modern day, and he and eight space aliens living on earth go on a quest for enlightenment. Alejandro Jodorowsky’s cult favorite is a non-stop barrage of bizarre imagery. (DVD)

Cut-Throats Nine (1972) An armed wagon is attacked by bandits, and after the dust settles, a soldier and his daughter must transport a chain gang of ruthless convicts by foot through several days of snow. When it’s found out that gold is involved, everyone starts to get a little stabby. The goriest western of that era that I’ve seen, that’s for sure. Fun Fact I just learned: If a spaghetti western is made in Span, it’s a Paella Western! (Midnight Pulp)

Primal Rage (1988) A lab baboon infects co-eds with a rage virus and hell breaks loose at a Florida University. Bo Svenson rocks a weak-ass ponytail as the campus professor doing shady experiments. No nudity, but a good amount of fun student hi-jinx made this pretty easy to watch. The final act, was rage zombies attacking a lavishly costumed Halloween party. Umberto Lenzi helped with the screenplay, and Clausio Simonetti did the score! (SHUDDER)

Naked Vengeance (1985) Fleeing Los Angeles after the violent murder of her husband, Carla finds the residents of her small-town birthplace are some of the rapiest assholes you’d ever want to meet. "Is everyone in this town a pervert?" she asks at one point. Unfortunately the answer was yes. With a few minor differences, this was about as close to I Spit on Your Grave as you could get. The revenge scenes here might have been a bit more graphic. (Freevee)

Vendetta (1986) Since the law refuses to act, a Hollywood stunt-woman gets herself intentionally incarcerated to investigate the murder of her wrongfully imprisoned sister. Always Sunny fans rejoice, as Sandy “Mrs. Mac” Martin gives the performance of a lifetime as the prison’s HBIC who runs a heroin ring from the inside. Also starring the great Roberta Collins as guard (she spent most of the 70s in films as an inmate), the coma-grandpa from Silent Night Deadly Night as an asshole judge, and featuring a prison Prince impersonation and all the shower scenes you’d expect. Instantly one of the most entertaining WIP films I’ve seen. (TUBI)

Libido (1965) An starts to lose his mind when he returns to his childhood mansion where he once witnessed his father commit a sex murder in this cool proto-giallo from Ernesto Gastaldi. Ernie’s directing credits are a little light, but his writing credits read like a giallo Hall of Fame. This one borrows from two very famous thrillers, one French, one American, and highlighted by two lovely ladies and their numerous, stylish costume changes. (TUBI)

Crimson aka the Man with the Severed Head (1976) Mobster Paul Naschy catches a bullet in the head and the other mobsters must procure another head for a transplant, but after the transplant he still had the same head. The explanation went over my (attached) head. I wouldn’t rate this as a top-tier Naschy movie. There was a small amount of nudity, I suspect this version was slightly cut. (TUBI)

The Last Drive in With Joe Bob Briggs: Season 5 Week 2
Witchboard (1986) A Ouiji-obssessed partygoer leaves his board at an ex-girlfriend’s house, possibly intentionally. Tawny Kitean becomes even more obsessed, and allows the spirit of a mischievous, dead ten year old boy to come into her life. The mischief soon turns deadly, as people around Tawny and her non-committal boyfriend start to die. The boyfriend thinks the ex, who is also his former best friend is devising an elaborate scheme to win his girl back, but when the supernatural evidence becomes overwhelming, they put their differences aside and work together, uncovering secrets about the board’s origins. Kathleen Wilhoite plays a wisecracking medium who gets impaled on a metal fence. Great 80’s fun and some surprise nudity from Tawny in the last 10 minutes, just when you thought here wasn’t gonna be any. Feature debut for director Kevin Tenny, who followed it up with the cheese classic Night of the Demons, and the first of two Witchboard sequels.

The Devil’s Rain (1975) Low budget, southwestern “Satanic Panic” about a devil cult terrorzing a family of norms over a powerful book, with an allstar cast featuring William Shatner, Tom Skerritt, Ernest Borgnine, Eddie Albert, Ida Lupino and introducing John Travolta in a small role. Lots of body-melt FX. I saw this in the theater when I was a tyke, probably one if the first movies I’ve ever seen!

Walpurgisnacht II was the theme of the show, and one of the longest I can recall. 3 hours alone just to show Witchboard?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
12 May 2023, 10:53am
The Devil’s Rain (1975) Low budget, southwestern “Satanic Panic” about a devil cult terrorzing a family of norms over a powerful book, with an allstar cast featuring William Shatner, Tom Skerritt, Ernest Borgnine, Eddie Albert, Ida Lupino and introducing John Travolta in a small role. Lots of body-melt FX. I saw this in the theater when I was a tyke, probably one if the first movies I’ve ever seen!
I remember catching this years ago on channel 9 WOR In the NYC/NJ area. The face melting scenes were awesome

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

What's Up, Doc? is a zany movie with a great cast. If you haven't seen it yet, get on it.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Mimi wrote:
16 May 2023, 8:43pm
What's Up, Doc? is a zany movie with a great cast. If you haven't seen it yet, get on it.
I dont think I've seen it.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Mimi wrote:
I know I've seen it, but can't remember much of it, probably because it was over 50 years ago, so guess I need to look in to seeing it again to refresh my fading memory.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Sparky wrote:
17 May 2023, 11:19am
Mimi wrote:
I know I've seen it, but can't remember much of it, probably because it was over 50 years ago, so guess I need to look in to seeing it again to refresh my fading memory.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069495/

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Mimi wrote:
17 May 2023, 11:32am
Sparky wrote:
17 May 2023, 11:19am
Mimi wrote:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069495/
Thanks, added to my watchlist!
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

If anyone likes a gripping noir, The Unsuspected is excellent. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039941/

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Scream VI (2023) Ghostface Takes Manhattan in the never ending saga about a line of copycat killers. I liked it a little bit better than I expected. Wouldn’t watch twice, will watch 7.

The Holy Mountain (1973) Jesus Christ returns to modern day, and he and eight space aliens living on earth go on a quest for enlightenment. Alejandro Jodorowsky’s cult favorite is a non-stop barrage of bizarre imagery. (DVD)

Cut-Throats Nine (1972) An armed wagon is attacked by bandits, and after the dust settles, a soldier and his daughter must transport a chain gang of ruthless convicts by foot through several days of snow. When it’s found out that gold is involved, everyone starts to get a little stabby. The goriest western of that era that I’ve seen, that’s for sure. Fun Fact I just learned: If a spaghetti western is made in Spain, it’s a Paella Western! (Midnight Pulp)

The Antichrist (1974) Carla Gravina is a paraplegic with Bowie hair who is possessed by a Satanic witch from a past life in Alberto De Martino's Excor-Rosemary combo, loaded with foul language, blasphemy and devil sex. With Mel Ferrer, Arthur Kennedy, Anita Strindberg, and a Morricone score. Good movie. (TUBI)

Darker Than Night aka Más negro que la noche (1975) Four women move into a mansion when one of them inherits it from an estranged aunt on one condition...they must care for the cat that comes with it. What could go wrong? It drags in the middle, but holy smokes, all 4 leads were incredibly good-looking! (SHUDDER)

The House on Straw Hill (1974) Udo Kier is a novelist who hires the beautiful Linda Hayden (Blood on Satan’s Claw) as a secretary while he writes his second book in a secluded house. Then a few murders happen. Linda was great in this, though I read she was not a fan of the finished product, nor was Udo. Fiona Richmond was a famous nude model at the time, she plays Udo’s girlfriend, she and Linda have some wild scenes, together and separate. This one made the original Video Nasty list, I’d think more for the sleaze than the gore. (TUBI)

Beatrice Cenci aka The Conspiracy of Torture (1969) Lecherous Landowners, Corrupt Catholics, and Patricide Plots in Lucio Fulci's violent historical work about a noblewoman who was beheaded in 1599 and later became a symbol of anti-oppression. Starring Adrienne Larussa and Tomas Milian (DVD)

The Pope’s Exorcist (2023) ya know,I almost shut this off under 20 minutes, but I stuck it out and ended being kinda fun and over-the-top. I don’t find Russell Crowe very likable, but that worked in his favor here. With the Great Franco Nero as the Pope.

Freeway (1996) Reese Witherspoon is a juvenile delinquent who shoots the face off “The I-5 Killer” Keifer Sutherland in self defense and gets convicted for it in Matthew Bright’s delightful take on Little Red Riding Hood. Best scene is when Reese shows a photo from her wallet of who she thinks is her dad, and the picture is of Richard Speck! With Brooke Shields, Brittany Murphy, Bokeem Woodbine, Amanda Plummer, Dan Hedaya and many more, all giving grade A performances in this five star classic. I will never get tired of this movie. (SHUDDER)

Syndicate Sadists (1975) Tomas Milian is a motorcycle riding cool-cat, who avenges the death of a friend by pitting two rival gangs against each other, in a plot not too dissimilar than A Fistful of Dollars. Milian is a great screen presence, and the 2nd of five Eurocrime films he did with Umberto Lenzi. Also with Joseph Cotton as a blond mafia Don.

The Last Drive-In with Joe Bob Briggs: Season 5 Week 3

Don’t Panic (1988) Michael gets a Ouija board for his 17th birthday, and he and his friends conjure up“Virgil”, who kills Mike’s friends one by one, while Micheal goes temporarily blind and only sees the killings. Quite the oddity, I believe this is a Mexican movie, but filmed in English? The love interest could have used some serious eyebrow plucking, she was an homage to Freda Kahlo. Any review you read is going to mention that the 17 year old lead spent a great deal of the movie in children’s dinosaur pajamas, so who am I to leave that part out. A fun-bad movie, but I was hoping for a little bit more. No surprise that Virgil didn’t spark a franchise.

Tigers are not Afraid (2017) Orphan kids on the streets of Mexico protect themselves against the drug cartel that killed their parents. If you like movies where a bunch of happy kids ride bikes and fight clowns or other stranger type things, this certainly ain’t that. Very dark and depressing. There was a bit of a magic/fantasy aspect to it, as the main girl’s decisions were influenced by fairies, ghosts, stuffed animals, etc. Very Del Toro-esque. Only a few ticks over 80 minutes.

This was Joe Bob and Darcy’s Cinco de Mayo special, loaded with history and culture lessons. The only was I would ever watch Don’t Panic again would be if Joe Bob hosted it, and there it was. Same with Tigers, but for different reasons.