movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Re: movies

Post by tepista »

The Sadness (2021) Taiwanese gorefest about a young couple attempting to reunite after a rage-virus breaks out. Not the most original thing you’ll ever see, but really fucking gory, and the violence is infused with sex. Multiple gore FX scenes should stick with you for a while. Unless you’re faint of heart, I’d call this a “must-see”, easily top 2 or 3 of the year for me, so far. (SHUDDER)

Hostel: Part 2 (2007) Eli Roth follows up his 2005 hit with more of the same, this time it’s females abroad being kidnapped and auctioned for murder. Not as good as the first, but a lot of pretty girls, and a cameo from the great giallo queen, Edewige Fenech. (TUBI)

Arabella, Black Angel (1989) Arabella’s husband is wheelchair-bound after crashing his car on their wedding day since she was sucking him off. With an insatiable sexual appetite, she now frequents “Eyes Wide Shut” type sex parties, where she gets arrested, raped and blackmailed by a crooked cop. When the cop comes to her house for a second helping, she brains him with a mallet. Wheelchair husband catches a glimpse and is turned on. Now he encourages her to go out and turn tricks, but the Johns all seem to end up castrated. All this happens in the first 25 minutes or so. This late-era giallo is one of the sleaziest I’ve seen, in a genre that specializes in sleaze. (TUBI)

The New Barbarians aka Warriors of the Wasteland (1983) George Eastman (Anthropophagus) is a post-apocalyptic warlord whose gang’s motto is to kill every living person they meet, no questions. For what purpose, I’m not sure. The resistance is Giancarlo Prete and Fred “The Hammer” Williamson, who work together out of necessity, and the two hot girls that accompany them. Williamson has a cross-bow with exploding tips. Not the best Mad Max rip-off I’ve seen, but some of the action-gore sequences were A-OK. (DVD)

Sex & Fury (1973) Reiko Ike is a pickpocket gambler/samurai out to avenge her fathers death, Christina Lindberg is a British spy looking for Reiko’s anarchist boyfriend. Who happens to be her ex. Norifumi Suzuki directed many of the “Girl Boss” pinky delinquent films, this is more of the same but set in samurai days. Loaded with nudity, Reiko mows down an entire gang with a sword wearing not a thread. (DVD)

The Last Drive-In with Joe Bob Briggs; Season 4, Week 2

Black Sunday aka The Mask of Satan (1960) Mario Bava's gothic masterpiece about a vampire/witch who is awakened from her tomb after 200 years, and attempts to inhabit the body of a descendant (Barbara Steele in a dual role). The pre-credit sequence alone is worth the price of admission, and Babs awaking from the dead with spike-holes in her face is what nightmares are made of. One of the best of its kind. (SHUDDER)

Def by Temptation (1990) A sexy succubus is murdering NYC bar patrons. The son of a preacher must resist. Jeez, this was just awful. A succubus movie with no nudity. Well, no FEMALE nudity. James Bond III was a child star in the 80s but he grew up to write, direct and star in this and doesn’t have another film credit for 20 years! Also with Kadeem Hardison and Samuel L Jackson. (SHUDDER)

The between scene shenanigans consisted of explanation of a witch holiday called Walpurgusnacht, and long winded geography lessons and esoteric drink recipes. I almost always dig their nonsense, but this dragged. As for the movies, Black Sunday is an alltime fave, but I saw Def for the first time about a year ago and didn’t like it at all. Seemed a little different with Joe Bob when joe Bob pops in every 15 minutes and says how good it is, but I’ll stick with my copy+paste paragraph from last year!

The Last Drive-In with Joe Bob Briggs; Season 4, Week 3

The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane (1976) Jodie Foster is a mature 13 year old who lives alone in a leased house in a small town. When the bitchy landlady aggressively snoops regarding the whereabouts of Jodie's father, she takes deadly action. She gets some help form a nerdy teenage magician to hide the body, but the woman's creepy child molesting son, Martin Sheen, knows something fishy is going on. Good movie. Some brief nudity was supplied by Jodie’s older sister as a body double. (SHUDDER)

Housebound (2014) New Zealand horror-comedy about bad-girl Kylie, a young woman put under house arrest in her mother’s home, where she hadn’t lived for years. Mum calls local radio talkshows to gab about the ghost that lives in her house, and Kylie remembers why she left in the first place, but then the bumps in the night begin. Her parole officer, a paranormal aficionado himself, gets into the act and they soon uncover the mystery of a decades old murder, with plenty of laughs and violence along the way. Nice debut from director Gerald Johnstone, recommended. (SHUDDER)

The Friday the 13th show was “Shut-In” themed, and on the breaks Joe Bob discussed superstitions around the world. Both good movies, and I hadn’t seen either for a while.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

The French Sex Murders (1973) A violent Vietnam vet beats up a prostitute, and is arrested when she turns up dead. He escapes and gets decapitated in a motorcycle accident! He had vowed revenge against police, other hookers, and anyone else in range, so he's posthumously exonerated when those promises are kept. Barbara Bouchet is the ill-fated hooker, Rosalba Neri is the ex-wife, and Anita Ekberg is the Madame. If that’s not enough, there’s a good 4 or 5 additional lesser-named beauties. Robert Sacci made a career out of imitating Humphrey Bogart as he looked just liked him. He plays the inspector here in his first film role. This giallo has a wild and hard to follow and believe plot, but with the nudity and fast pace it’s never boring. (TUBI)

1990: The Bronx Warriors (1982) This Maxploitation is part Escape from NY, part the Warriors, as a rich girl runs away and ends up in the Bronx, where lawlessness prevails. She ends up with Trash, the pretty-faced, muscular, tight-jeans wearing leader of a motorcycle gang with leather vests, but when she’s kidnapped by a gang of roller-hockey players lead by George “Anthropophagus” Eastman, Trash must navigate through the city battling rival gangs to find her. Fred Williamson is the leader of a gang that dresses like 70s pimps, and puts his differences with Trash aside to battle the hockey players. There’s also a dancing gang, and a zombie gang. Vic Morror plays Hammer, a ruthless assassin hired by a rich Mannhattanite to retrieve his daughter. It amused me that there was a Hammer and it wasn’t Fred Williamson, as he was the Hammer in real life, but let’s not make this more confusing than it is. I thought this garbage was a blast! (TUBI)

Kolobos (1999) Slasher set in a reality TV Big-Brother setting. One of the girls has mental issues and you aren’t sure if what’s going on is supernatural. I didn’t like it too much, but it was gory, and all three girls were cute. No nudity. Linnea Quigley has a cameo that happened so fast that I missed it. (Midnight Pulp)

Zatoichi meets the One-Armed Swordsman (1973) Crossover event, as Jimmy Wang Yu brings his classic Hong Kong swordsman to Japan, and finds himself at odds with the blind samurai due to a language barrier, lying yakuza and a traitorous monk. The typical Zatoichi morality tale usually has a hooker with a heart of gold, an orphan in danger, gambling cheats, and a mountain of dead bodies. This one is no exception. (DVD)

Terrifying Girls High School: Animal Courage (1973) The 4th and final of the series, Reiko Ike is the new student, Aki the Whistler. She battles the bad girl gang and the evil fencing team while exposing the corrupt school’s foreign exchange program as a prostitution ring. All the shoplifting, glue sniffin’, and nudity you’d expect from a pinky film. (DVD)

Crawlspace (1986) Klaus Kinski is a former Hitler youth, who continues his father’s work as a Nazi doctor on the unsuspecting residents of the apartment building he owns in Anytown, USA. He crawls around the Air Conditioning ducts and peeps on his pretty tenants, occasionally releasing rats into their units via remote controlled trap doors. If they stumble upon his liar of booby traps, torture devices, and a tongueless woman in a cage, it’s lights out for them. The most memorable of his killing machines is a wooden chair with a long spike that pops up from the seat area. Watchable movie with some nudity and a few fun kills, but one thing that bothered me, during the Halloween-esqe “bodies pop up all over the place” sequence that was featured in many slashers of the era, the actual kills happened off-screen, as if the filmmakers ran out of time or something. David Schmoeller (Puppet Master, Tourist Trap) directs for Charles band’s Empire Films. Apparently, after Kinski died in 1991, Schmoeller directed a documentary short on the making of, which included a plot to assassinate the notoriously difficult star as an insurance scam! (MGM/cable TV)

The Last Drive-In with Joe Bob Briggs: Season 4 Week 4

Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror (1922) F.W. Murnau’s classic, unauthorized adaptation of Bram Stoker’s Dracula. A hideous vampire secures passage from Transylvania with the help of a real estate agent and brings plague and death to a German village. What else can you say about this masterpiece? The use of shadows is expert level for such an early film. (SHUDDER)

Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979) Werner Herzog’s fantastic adaptation of Bram Stoker’s Dracula, with Klaus Kinski in the vampire makeup made famous in the 1922 version of Nosferatu. The hideous Count leaves Transylvania for the city, and brings death, plague and thousands of rats with him. Isabelle Adjani (Possession) plays Lucy, although the Lucy and Mina roles are reversed in this version. The cinematography is outstanding, the orchestral score is mesmerizing, the whole movie is like a work of art in motion. Very little blood, and much of the violence is off camera, but there are not a lot of horror movies like this one. (SHUDDER)

Joe Bob and Darcy play dress up and talk Dracula in one of the most entertaining episodes of the shows run.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
27 May 2022, 12:53pm
Terrifying Girls High School: Animal Courage (1973)
I like that I can tell it's a Japanese film just from the title.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 May 2022, 1:07pm
tepista wrote:
the 3 other TGHS titles are: Women's Violent Classroom, Lynch Law Classroom, and Delinquent Convulsion Group

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
27 May 2022, 2:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 May 2022, 1:07pm
tepista wrote:
the 3 other TGHS titles are: Women's Violent Classroom, Lynch Law Classroom, and Delinquent Convulsion Group
There has to be a noise rock band called Delinquent Convulsion Group. If not, we've failed as a species.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Quoting myself:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
31 May 2022, 11:20pm
Quoting myself:
I read this as Santana and I was like who hurt you.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Watcher (2021) A couple moves to Bucharest for a new job (for the husband). The husband (Francis) can speak Romanian, but his wife (Julia) does not. While Francis is at work, Julia tries to get comfortable in the new city, but soon becomes paranoid when she sees a mysterious man watching her from a window across from the couple's apartment. Maika Monroe is great as Julia who becomes more fearful when she learns of a serial killer on the news. The Plot has been done before in a bunch of movies and tv shows. This one is on the level of the best of genre (imho).

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

daredevil wrote:
07 Jun 2022, 1:32am
Watcher (2021) A couple moves to Bucharest for a new job (for the husband). The husband (Francis) can speak Romanian, but his wife (Julia) does not. While Francis is at work, Julia tries to get comfortable in the new city, but soon becomes paranoid when she sees a mysterious man watching her from a window across from the couple's apartment. Maika Monroe is great as Julia who becomes more fearful when she learns of a serial killer on the news. The Plot has been done before in a bunch of movies and tv shows. This one is on the level of the best of genre (imho).
The It Follows girl? This sounds cool, I'll check it when I get a chance

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

tepista wrote:
07 Jun 2022, 6:50pm
daredevil wrote:
07 Jun 2022, 1:32am
The It Follows girl? This sounds cool, I'll check it when I get a chance
It Follows was great too

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Looks promising

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

revbob wrote:
11 Jun 2022, 7:47am

Looks promising
OK, I'm all over this one, looks like it's available to stream in the US already.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

We're aging out of this one pretty soon, I think.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

The Found Footage Phenomenon (2021) Documentary where the title says it all. Lots of filmmakers on hand for interviews, and they cover dozens of films, the evolution of the genre, which earlier films inspired it, how advancements in technology help change it, etc. They spent an oddly large amount of time covering a seemingly obscure 2012 garbage film called Hate Crime. They spent more time on it than they did [REC]! There's a couple titles I'd like to check out, the doc is worth a watch. (SHUDDER)

Destroyer (1988) Ex-Oakland Raider Lyle Alzado plays a mass murderer who jumps up from the electric chair to murder a buncha cops on the way to the entire prison burning down in the ensuing riot. Some months later, a film crew, including Anthony Perkins and Deborah “Valley Girl” Foreman, are on the site making a women-behind-bars flick, and the ghost of the killer starts picking off the crew. Or was he alive the whole time, I don’t even know. I do know that the electrician was listening to a song called “Kiss My Stinky White Ass” on the radio. There was an extended group shower scene for no reason. It saved the movie. (TUBI)

Hollywood Vice Squad (1987) Penelope Spheeris gives runaway prostitutes on heroin the light-comedy treatment with a minor allstar cast including Ronny Cox, Carrie Fisher, Frank Gorshin, Robin Wright, Joey Travolta, Leon Isaac Kennedy and more. Lots of bullets, some nudity. The back and forth between serious and comedy was weird, not a great movie. (Midnight Pulp)

Escape From the Bronx (1983) In this sequel to the previous year’s 1990: The Bronx Warriors, the government wants to level the lawless borough of New York and raise a metropolis. The people who choose not to leave are the low income families and the street gangs, and they are subject to termination by the government’s extermination squad. Motorcycle gang leader and tight pants wearer Trash is back, and this time he has a shirt. When he finds his parents are killed by the feds, he and his allies plot to kidnap the president and hold him until the assault on the Bronx is over. Henry Silva plays an assassin. Bronx Warriors was better. (Amazon Prime)

The Killer Nun aka Suor Omicidi (1979) Anita Ekberg is Sister Gertrude, who develops a morphine addiction after a surgery, and it impairs her hospital duties. She has fits of anger, blackouts, and she gets horny! When multiple patients suffer violent deaths, Sister Mathiew (Paolo Morra, who supplies most of the nudity) covers them up, as she is in love with Gertrude. Also with Joe Dallesandro (Blood for Dracula) and Alita Valle (Suspiria). Good movie. (Midnight Pulp or TUBI)

Killer Party (1986) Three sorority pledges are the focus of this supernatural slasher in the days leading up to an April Fools Party. It took most of the movie for this to finally turn into a horror, but they managed to fill the build up with likeable characters and April Fools pranks, including a bee attack at a topless Jacuzzi party. Paul Bartel plays a college professor. No classic, but funny and entertaining nonsense from the director of Death Weekend and Funeral Home. (TCM/cable)

The Last Drive-In with Joe Bob Briggs: Season 4 Episode 5

Slaughterhouse (1987) Les Bacon and his dimwitted son, Buddy, are upset that their family pig farming business is going bankrupt, so they take it out on the locals by murdering them. Mildly entertaining, OK gore, no nudity. Beware of real footage of a pig rendering plant over the opening credits. (SHUDDER)

Tenebre (1982) An American novelist (Anthony Franciosa) on a promo tour in Milan assists the police when pretty women around town are being killed and having pages from his book shoved into their dying mouths! The kills scenes are outstanding and borderline iconic, highlighted by an unforgettable arm-chop. Lots of beautiful women and many of them nude. It’s hard to say what movie is Dario Argento’s best, but anyone who chooses this won’t get much resistance. Also with John Saxon and Daria Nicoletti. Absolute must-see, whether you like giallo or not. (SHUDDER)

Joe Bob discusses hot dog history during the first film, and basically the resumes of the enormous cast during the 2nd. He explained the the humongous pig farmer killer in the first film was really a short fat guy made to look larger through camera angles and such, and once he said that the illusion was ruined for me, haha.