movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: movies

Post by Silent Majority »

Dumb and harmful.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 5:29pm
Ha ha, no, Kevin Smith, go jump off a high cliff: https://www.nme.com/news/film/kevin-smi ... re-3201440
I got bored reading this. The one amazing thing of note was the pic of him without a backwards baseball cap. I always presumed it was surgically attached.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 9:52am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 5:29pm
Ha ha, no, Kevin Smith, go jump off a high cliff: https://www.nme.com/news/film/kevin-smi ... re-3201440
I got bored reading this. The one amazing thing of note was the pic of him without a backwards baseball cap. I always presumed it was surgically attached.
A 50+ year old guy wearing a backwards ballcap sends such undeniable signals to everyone in his orbit. Augment it with jorts and conclusions can't help but be drawn.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Nothing Underneath aka Sotto il vestito niente (1985) A park ranger in Wyoming has a psychic bond with his twin sister, who’s in Milan working on her newly successful modeling career. He senses that she's in danger and she doesn’t answer his calls, so he hops on plane and seeks help from a detective (Donald Pleasence) who doesn’t believe him until other models turn up dead. This late-era giallo has many classic staples, including naked models, drug abuse, diamonds, and a black-gloved killer. No classic by any means, but a load of fun! There’s a sequel.

Too Beautiful to Die aka Nothing Underneath 2 (1988) In this sequel in name only, a beautiful model is held down by her peers to get raped by a rich and sleazy old man. Seems the accomplices had all been there before and didn’t mind. Anyway, the victim speeds off in a car and is found dead the next morning. Soon after, everyone at the rape party is killed one by one by a masked assailant. I found this late-era giallo a little flat, and spoiled by the fact that we knew the victims were guilty, rather than hiding that information and revealing it closer top the end. Lots of pretty naked girls, though, and a music video aesthetic.

Mountain of the Cannibal God aka Slave of the Cannibal God (1978) Ursula Andress (Dr. No) and her brother hire explorer Stacy Keach to lead an expedition to the dangerous mountains of New Guinea, where Ursula’s husband previously went missing. On the adventure they encounter the dangers of wild animals, roaring rapids, double-crossing, and eventually the cannibal tribe. Most of the movie is an action-adventure, but the 3rd act has all the guts, nudity, and depravity, that you’d expect in a cannibal flick. Unfortunately, the animal cruelty is there too. All time great giallo director Sergio Martino (Torso, Your Vice is a Locked Room…) is at the helm for this one.

Don’t Deliver Us From Evil (1971) Two catholic schoolgirls on summer break make a vow to Satan to dedicate their lives to mischief. It starts with confessing false sins, and moves on to killing the gardener’s pet canaries, starting fires, and stripteasing for the local adult males. Eventually they reach a point of no return. French with subtitles, full of nudity and Satanic dialog, this was loosely based on the same New Zealand true crime case as Peter Jackson’s Heavenly Creatures.

Santo vs Frankenstein’s Daughter (1972) When Freida Frankenstein finds that the silver-masked wrestler/superhero’s blood contains special properties to use in a youth serum, she’ll stop at nothing to capture him. She kidnaps his girlfriend, who claims to have seen him maskless in private, and Santo is led to a secret underground lair where he battles her henchmen, a human-gorilla hybrid, and a (wo)man-made monster! This entry has rarely a dull moment.

One-Armed Boxer (1971) A lunchroom altercation between two rival martial arts schools escalates to multiple deaths, and the villainous school reaching out to international experts in all the different martial arts fields, including Tibetan Monks, Japanese judo experts, Indian yoga master, and more. The result is the star pupil losing his arm in a fight, and having to train all over again. With the help of a magic elixir, his arm becomes indestructible, and he now seeks revenge. Jimmy Yang Wu wrote, directed and starred in this fun and violent romp, and brought the one armed boxer back for the genre classic Master of the Flying Guillotine a few years later. Jimmy, veteran of nearly 90 films, passed away in April 2022.

The Innkeepers (2011) Sara Paxton and Pat Healy are working and sleeping at a nearly empty hotel during the final weekend before it shuts down for good, and in their spare time (which happens to be all their time) they try to prove the legends of the place being haunted to be true. Kelly McGillis is a hotel guest who lends a hand. The characters were likeable enough, but by the time it’s over you’ll see it was a whole lot of buildup for a pretty small payoff, something Ti West does a lot of (until X, which I loved!) This was my second watch, I think I can close the book on this one.

The Sweet Body of Deborah (1968) After an extended stay in America, Marcel brings his new bride, Deborah, home to Geneva. He learns from a former friend that his ex-girlfriend has committed suicide, and he’s still on the hook for unpaid gambling debts. Threatening calls follow, but but something about the whole situation seems fishy. Great cast in this thriller, including Caroll Baker, Jean Sorell, Luigi Pistoli, and George Hilton. This was Baker’s first giallo, she’d spend the next five or so years in Italy making many more.

Mr. No Legs (1978) Action flick featuring a wheelchair-bound mob enforcer who does karate and has two double barrel shotguns hidden in the arms of his chair. Ted Vollrath lost his legs in the Korean War and later became a black belt in karate. This is his only film credit. Now here’s the crazy part, the movie is directed by Ricou Browning, the actual Creature From the Black Lagoon! He had directed a couple other things, but all of them dolphin or sea lion related. I didn’t realize until now, he created Flipper! Anyway, besides a couple fun action sequences that you can probably get the gist of from the trailer, this was a very painful watch.

Terrifying Girls Highschool: Delinquent Convulsion Group (1973) When her politician father is disgraced in a fatal drunk driving accident, Takako the Falcon (Reiko Ike) is transferred from the elite classroom, where she ran the school-controlling gang, to the “trash class” where she must earn respect with her fists. Now aware of the class-struggle, she forms a new gang to take over the school, but the rich girls and their corrupt politician fathers strike back with violence, rape, and murder. The third of four films in the series, and very good.

Jungle Holocaust aka The Last Cannibal World (1977) A single engine plane crashes in the jungle, and one of the unfortunate survivors is captured by a tribe of savages who cage and starve him. The local kids give him a piss shower, and the beautiful MeMe Lei (Man From Deep River) mistakes his request for water for a handjob, which he begrudgingly accepts. The first of Ruggero Deodato’s cannibal trilogy (the 2nd being Cannibal Holocaust, the most famous of the genre) is loaded with action, gore and nudity, not for the faint of heart. As with most cannibal films of this era, watch out for graphic depictions of animal cruelty.

Rabid Dogs (1974) A payroll heist goes wrong, and the three surviving gunmen kidnap a woman, and carjack a man who is transporting an unconscious child to the hospital. This is kind of like Last House on the Left set in a car! George Eastman plays one of the thugs, he’s the killer from Anthropophagus and Absurd. This is one of Mario Bava’s last movies, but unfortunately, the production company’s bankruptcy put this film in limbo, and it was released until 1997! There’s an alternate version called Kidnapped, in which Mario’s son, Lamberto, who was assistant director, added some scenes, but it was the Rabid Dogs cut that was recommended to me. Most DVD/Blu Ray editions should have both cuts. Great movie.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Nobody does it better

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

The Cellar (2022) Ask yourself what you could add to the tired “we bought a haunted/possessed house” gimmick. If you answered “complex mathematical equations” then I have the movie for you! A teenage girl disappears in the basement, the cops don’t care, the parents barely care, they seem too busy running their influencer-exploiting company with in-office meetings at all hours of the night. Elisha Cuthbert (24) is the mom, and she finds a bunch of algebra carved into the walls and believes it might mean something. And don’t tell me a spooky kid’s ball rolled down the stairs because that would be the last straw. The one thing that that kept me from shutting off early was the disappearance of the girl was spooky, but the rest of it, no, not for me.

Nightmare Castle (1965) After murdering his wife and her lover, a sadistic count marries her formerly institutionalized sister-in-law with plans to gaslight her out of her fortune, as well as using her blood to maintain a youth serum for his sometimes decrepit, and sometimes hot maid/mistress (Helga Line). The great Barbara Steele plays both sisters, one brunette, one blonde. Italian with English dub, black & white, and a Morricone score!

The Shiver of the Vampires (1971) A honeymooning couple stop by an ancient castle on the French countryside to meet the bride's older cousins, her only living relatives. Or at least they were, they made it just in time for the funeral…but wait! The cousins were vampire hunters, and now bitten, they are vampires themselves. With the help of their two servant girls and an ancient vampire woman who walks though walls and pops out of grandfather clocks, they must decide whether to let the bride go, or to fulfill her vampire destiny! Loaded with nudity, psychedelic imagery and a great instrumental rock and roll soundtrack, this one gets an A+. 2nd watch, my personal favorite Jean Rollin movie. In French with subtitles.

Five Dolls for an August Moon (1970) A Mario Bava giallo about three wealthy businessmen and their beautiful wives during a weekend retreat on a private island trying to convince a scientist to sell his new groundbreaking formula. When the bodies mysteriously begin to pile up, they are kept for storage in a walk-in freezer, and it’s running out of room! This one stars a Princess and a Queen, as real-life royalty Ira von Furstenburg was known as “The Pin-up Princess” and Edwige Fenech was well on way to being crowned “The Queen of Giallo”. Great ultra modern sets, fantastic wardrobe for the ladies, and a great score made this one an absolute pleasure from the very first minute.

Planet of the Vampires (1965) Mario Bava’s mod sci-fi thriller about a space crew (dressed in the coolest black leather space suits you’ve ever seen) that answers a distress call from a dying planet resulting in crew members being possessed by the inhabitants. Loaded with great visuals and colors that some would argue have inspired Ridley Scott's Alien, and a cool Twilight Zone ending, fun late-night stuff that I’ve seen multiple times.

I also did a few comfort watches, Alien, Dawn of the Dead, and Day of the Dead. Ya know, I've seen Day of the Dead and Martin close to ten times each over my lifetime, and only this week did I put it together that John "Martin" Amplas was the younger doctor in Day!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 3:30pm
Planet of the Vampires (1965) Mario Bava’s mod sci-fi thriller about a space crew (dressed in the coolest black leather space suits you’ve ever seen) that answers a distress call from a dying planet resulting in crew members being possessed by the inhabitants. Loaded with great visuals and colors that some would argue have inspired Ridley Scott's Alien, and a cool Twilight Zone ending, fun late-night stuff that I’ve seen multiple times.
I've never heard of this, but it sounds right up my alley!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 3:47pm
tepista wrote:
well wait until you see the poster!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 6:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:

God, AIP's posters were flat-out gorgeous. I do a lecture on 1950s b-movies and show a bunch of those posters. For The Brain Eaters, I tell students that you could not walk past that poster; you'd have to go and see that flick. Even if the posters were often better than the films, whatever, you had to see those movies.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 6:38pm
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:

God, AIP's posters were flat-out gorgeous. I do a lecture on 1950s b-movies and show a bunch of those posters. For The Brain Eaters, I tell students that you could not walk past that poster; you'd have to go and see that flick. Even if the posters were often better than the films, whatever, you had to see those movies.
Awesome, I ALWAYS say Brain Eaters when a discussion of great posters comes up.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 8:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 6:38pm
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:

Awesome, I ALWAYS say Brain Eaters when a discussion of great posters comes up.
After years of telling students I was going to get a Brain Eaters t-shirt, I finally did buy one this year.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Watched it this morning. Love love love the colour of mid-60s sci-fi. Apparently, tho, lower back pain isn't a thing with those people, based on the chairs on the spaceship. Solid AIP stuff.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 7:36am
Love love love the colour of mid-60s sci-fi.
A Mario Bava trademark, later adopted by Dario Argento.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 10:44am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 7:36am
Love love love the colour of mid-60s sci-fi.
A Mario Bava trademark, later adopted by Dario Argento.
Also kinda wonder if their leather suits—with special nape protecting collars—inspired the X-Men movies with their black leather costumes.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Night of the Bloody Apes (1969) A surgeon kidnaps a gorilla from the zoo and transplants its heart into his leukemia suffering son, causing him to turn into a muscular neanderthal creature who sexually assaults any woman he comes across. A female luchador feels guilty about an opponent she put into a coma, and it gets worse when the mad doctor decides to use the comatose woman’s heart to cure his son’s condition. Tits and gore and wrestling, this is about as raunchy as you’re gonna find considering the year it came out, and deserved of its Video Nasty status. Directed by Rene Cardona, in Spanish, but most prints out there should have the English dub.

Giallo (2009) A cop (Adrien Brody) and the sister of a missing person are on the trail of a jaundice-suffering cabbie who kidnaps and tortures young women. This movie is most famous for being held up in the courts when Brody claimed he hadn’t been paid for it. It’s probably not as bad as its reputation, but this late era Argento effort lacks suspense, as the killer’s identity is never a secret. I barely remembered it from my first watch when it was new, pretty forgettable.

Have a Nice Funeral, My Friend… Sartana will Pay (1970) Gianni Garko reprises his role as the bounty hunter in black in this 4th film of the series, after being recast in the 3rd to go for a more comical approach. Well Sartana is protecting a young woman from getting fleeced over her land by a crooked banker and his lackey sheriff. There’s a lot less killings in this one, though Sartana does add card throwing like ninja stars to his repertoire in this one. I think the whole spaghetti western genre was dying a slow painful death by this time. Great title, though.

Crazy Desires of a Murderer (1977) A rich, young woman invites some friends to her her family mansion for a weekend of sex and alcohol, and the group finds itself dealing with murder, drug smuggling, and a introverted teenage taxidermist they keep hidden in the basement! Plenty of nudity. This formerly obscure giallo recently got the blu-ray treatment, and while it’s no classic, it’s certainly not boring.

A Black Veil for Lisa (1968) A vice detective on the trail of a drug-related killing is distracted to the point of madness by the thought that his way-too-young-and-pretty-for-him wife is stepping out behind his back. His police work begins to suffer as a result as he chooses to merge the two, this won’t end well. The beautiful Luciana Paluzzi (Thunderball, The Green Slime) plays the title character in this very good first giallo effort from Massimo Dallamano, who would go on to direct what some would call the best giallo of them all, What Have You Done to Solange?

Cut and Run (1985) Sometimes marketed as the third of Ruggero Deodato’s cannibal trilogy, there’s no cannibalism in this one, though it does take place in the jungle. An investigative reporter tracks a criminal to the Amazon and ends up in a violent drug war. Lots of recognizable Americans in this one, Willie Aames, Karen Black, Richard Lynch and Michael Berryman to name a few. Eric LaSalle plays a pimp who hangs out in a strip club, providing much of the nudity, but the best comes from Valentina Forte, who I hear was Deodato’s girlfriend at the time. Suspiria’s Barbara Magnofli is featured as well. Also known for some extreme gore, beware of streaming versions (TUBI) as it does appear to be edited. I saw a DVD of this around 10 years ago, there is a scene of man being split in half that you won’t ever forget…unless you see it on TUBI, because it isn’t there.