movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: movies

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 5:41pm
Kory wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 5:07pm
Flex wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 4:29pm
Kory wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 3:59pm
revbob wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 9:19am
Screenshot_20240304_081838_Instagram.jpg
I just watched Face/Off for the first time last night.
That's a good movie, tho
Yeah, just referencing Nicky.
Ive never seen it either. I do recall the hype though.
It's really fun because nic cage and John Travolta have a blast playing each other. And there's gunfights and explosions and things of that nature.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 5:43pm
revbob wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 5:41pm
Kory wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 5:07pm
Flex wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 4:29pm
Kory wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 3:59pm

I just watched Face/Off for the first time last night.
That's a good movie, tho
Yeah, just referencing Nicky.
Ive never seen it either. I do recall the hype though.
It's really fun because nic cage and John Travolta have a blast playing each other. And there's gunfights and explosions and things of that nature.
I was impressed by Travolta's playing of Cage, he got some nuances that I wouldn't have expected.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I've mentioned that I was likely on death row w/r/t teaching opportunities, but I got a reprieve from the governor. I've been offered a summer session course in US history (my choice of the theme) and I'm thinking about tackling the 1970s. Because it's a compressed course, I'm a bit limited on what I can use for assignments, so I'm thinking about showing a couple movies with discussion afterwards. I'd like to canvas y'all's opinions on either movies made in the 70s or documentaries on some aspect of the decade. Keep in mind it's American history and it's supposed to generate a discussion about society or politics in some way, so, like, Animal House or Star Wars doesn't work.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 9:50am
I've mentioned that I was likely on death row w/r/t teaching opportunities, but I got a reprieve from the governor. I've been offered a summer session course in US history (my choice of the theme) and I'm thinking about tackling the 1970s. Because it's a compressed course, I'm a bit limited on what I can use for assignments, so I'm thinking about showing a couple movies with discussion afterwards. I'd like to canvas y'all's opinions on either movies made in the 70s or documentaries on some aspect of the decade. Keep in mind it's American history and it's supposed to generate a discussion about society or politics in some way, so, like, Animal House or Star Wars doesn't work.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
I think Rush got their start in the 70s

Whoops movies...thinking cap on
Last edited by revbob on 08 Mar 2024, 11:33am, edited 1 time in total.

Flex

Post by Flex »

I'll think of more, but off the top of my head the documentary Harlan County USA feels like an essential watch through the American history lense.

Pex Lives!

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Looking for Mr. Goodbar
Saturday Night Fever
Blazing Saddles :shifty:
Annie Hall? :yuck:
Kramer vs Kramer
The Deer Hunter
All the President's Men
Taxi Driver

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 11:20am
I'll think of more, but off the top of my head the documentary Harlan County USA feels like an essential watch through the American history lense.
I’ve never seen that, but that has promise, especially because I suck at lecturing on labour topics.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 11:23am
Looking for Mr. Goodbar
Saturday Night Fever
Kramer vs Kramer
The Deer Hunter
All the President's Men
Taxi Driver
I’ve already got SNF on my short list and maybe TD. A friend of mine who does Jewish Studies says he’s scared to use Woody Allen now, both from fear of being accused of supporting an alleged pedophile and from seemingly conflating Jewish culture with pedophilia.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 10:50am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I’m going to assume that’s future Cowboys owner Jerry Jones?

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 11:39am
Mimi wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 11:23am
Looking for Mr. Goodbar
Saturday Night Fever
Kramer vs Kramer
The Deer Hunter
All the President's Men
Taxi Driver
I’ve already got SNF on my short list and maybe TD. A friend of mine who does Jewish Studies says he’s scared to use Woody Allen now, both from fear of being accused of supporting an alleged pedophile and from seemingly conflating Jewish culture with pedophilia.
Oh yeah, fuck Woody Allen, but Annie Hall was a huge thing (at least that I remember) back then. I put it on the list reluctantly. I can't stand Diane Keaton in anything and did I mention fuck Woody Allen? lol

Flex

Post by Flex »

I think the deer hunter is a good one as an early (iirc) examination of the post Vietnam experience.

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Deliverance
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Carrie
Dog Day Afternoon
Marathon Man
Dirty Harry
3 Days of the Condor
The Parralx View
Catch 22
Billy Jack
The Born Losers
Norma Rae

Question why were disaster films so popular in the 70s? And biker films.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 11:45am
I think the deer hunter is a good one as an early (iirc) examination of the post Vietnam experience.
Unfortunately it's three hours. Ideally I want to be under 100 minutes for a three-hour class so that we have an hour for discussion.

One documentary that I'd really like to show is The Weather Underground, as I plan on a lecture about domestic terrorism and, in general, the expansion of political violence (by and against the state) in the decade.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

revbob wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 11:49am
Deliverance
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Carrie
Dog Day Afternoon
Marathon Man
Dirty Harry
3 Days of the Condor
The Parralx View
Catch 22
Billy Jack
The Born Losers
Norma Rae

Question why were disaster films so popular in the 70s? And biker films.
Norma Rae is a good one.