movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Re: movies

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 2:19pm
Liz Smith is a dimwit, probably didn't watch the movie.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 7:04pm
tepista wrote:
"Jodie Foster is inspirational." - John Hinkley, Jr.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

revbob wrote:
tepista wrote:
maybe she was thinking of "The Accused"

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 9:51am
revbob wrote:
tepista wrote:
maybe she was thinking of "The Accused"
Or "The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane"

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

J.D.’s Revenge (1976) The vengeful spirit of a murdered New Orleans gangster from 1942 possesses the soul of a young man, who proceeds to straighten his hair, buy an old suit from a thrift shop, and beat up his girlfriend before seeking revenge on the preacher that killed him in this fun Blaxploitation flick highlighted by an outrageously over the top performance from Glynn Turman as the lead. Anything less would have been a disservice to the movie. Louis Gosset Jr. was the preacher, what was he supposed to be 60? I was a huge fan of TV drama The White Shadow when I was a teenager, I never thought I’d see Vice-Principal Buchanan's boobs, but there you have it. (MGM/cable)

Light the Fuse… Sartnana is Coming (1970) The 5th and final of the spaghetti western franchise was steadily losing steam, as was the entire genre. In this one, there’s dispute over gold and counterfeit bills, double and triple crosses, and giallo mainstay Nieves Navarro (often billed as “Susan Scott”) played a femme fatale. Seemed there was a lot less killed in this one than the previous. And by that, I mean about 50, as opposed to a hundred. (Midnight Pulp)

Contagion (2011) Big budget Hollywood thriller with well known cast and director about a killer virus that spreads across the world. One of those “Hey I never saw this” “Me neither” things. Pretty good, I’d assume it would have felt more like a fantasy before you-know-what. (HBOMAX)

Ms .45 (1981) Pretty mute girl Thanna (Zoe Tamerlis) gets raped twice in one evening after work. During the second one in her own home she fought back and killed her attacker, who left his gun behind. Thanna chops the body into bits and disposes them in various public New York trash cans, then develops a taste for getting dolled up and going out to murder would-be assailants, but it doesn’t take long before she starts to target some less-than-deserving victims. Don’t bother asking how she got a never-ending supply of bullets or how she learned to shoot with dead-eye accuracy, or how a never-ending saxophone solo from the house band at the climactic Halloween party comes out of a trumpet, just sit back and enjoy the sleaze in what I would call the second best vigilante movie of all time. Abel Ferrara’s best work, I’ve probably seen it 20 times, and best of all it’s 80 minutes long, just like an exploitation flick should be. Second billing went to a dog. (SHUDDER)

The Last Drive-In with Joe Bob Briggs - Season 4, Week 6

The Monster Club (1981) Three mediocre anthology tales, with a wraparound that features Vincent Price hosting John Caradine in a night club that features rock bands (including the Pretty Things) play bad songs for their inhuman patrons. In the first story a woman thinks twice before robbing her ghoulish employer, then in a comedic segment, vampire hunters set their sights on a family man (featuring Donald Pleasence and Britt Ekland), and finally a film director finds himself in a foggy village populated with undead rock throwers. Directed by Hammer and Amicus vet, Roy Ward Baker. (SHUDDER)

Hellbender (2021) A mother and teenage daughter live a secluded life in the wilderness and play together in a rock band to pass the time, but when young Izzy feels the need to meet other people, she soon finds out she comes from a long line of witches, and could pose a danger to herself and others. She embraces it. The low budget effort from a husband/wife/daughters team that has apparently several more was able to hold my interest all the way through and never felt amateurish. Good job. (SHUDDER)

For the first movie, JBB and Darcy praised the movie higher than it deserved, and had a rubber mask dance party like in the movie. All in good fun. For the he second film the film-making family, The Adams, joined the set, and they were as charming and interesting as anyone.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 2:37pm
J.D.’s Revenge (1976) The vengeful spirit of a murdered New Orleans gangster from 1942 possesses the soul of a young man, who proceeds to straighten his hair, buy an old suit from a thrift shop, and beat up his girlfriend before seeking revenge on the preacher that killed him in this fun Blaxploitation flick highlighted by an outrageously over the top performance from Glynn Turman as the lead. Anything less would have been a disservice to the movie. Louis Gosset Jr. was the preacher, what was he supposed to be 60? I was a huge fan of TV drama The White Shadow when I was a teenager, I never thought I’d see Vice-Principal Buchanan's boobs, but there you have it. (MGM/cable)
I loved that show and her as well.

Joe Public
Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rolla

Post by Joe Public »

tepista wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 2:37pm
Hellbender (2021) A mother and teenage daughter live a secluded life in the wilderness and play together in a rock band to pass the time, but when young Izzy feels the need to meet other people, she soon finds out she comes from a long line of witches, and could pose a danger to herself and others. She embraces it. The low budget effort from a husband/wife/daughters team that has apparently several more was able to hold my interest all the way through and never felt amateurish. Good job. (SHUDDER)
I really sort of enjoyed this one, even though my instinct is to treat a "Shudder Original" with suspicion. I just think the Adams family (Well, that's who they are!) are just adorable as all hell.
You gotta give the people something good to read...

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Joe Public wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 9:47am
I really sort of enjoyed this one, even though my instinct is to treat a "Shudder Original" with suspicion.
Yeah, I'd say they hit at about a 25% rate. I've seen some real clunkers, but it's worth it when you find the home run. The Advent Calendar and Anything For Jackson are fucking great, if you haven't seen those yet.

Also, sometimes I wonder why something is a "Shudder Original" when it's actually more like a Shudder exclusive, but whatever.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I think I raved about it up thread, but I LOVED hellbender. Exactly what I'd want out of the premise. I hope the duo gets to do more projects.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Flex wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 3:27pm
I think I raved about it up thread, but I LOVED hellbender. Exactly what I'd want out of the premise. I hope the duo gets to do more projects.
if you ever decide to rewatch, make sure you see the Joe Bob hosted bersion, as mom, dad and daughter are all on hand for the breaks. As charming a family as you'll meet.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Mad God (2021) A soldier of some sort descends from above and travels a never-ending hellscape of creatures, violence, and general weirdness in this dialog-free, stop-motion animation from Peter Tippett, who has worked on everything from Robocop to Star Wars to Jurassic Park. Not much of a story, just hundreds of unimaginable images, many of them gory and grotesque. Thirty years in the making, I understand. There’s not much out there like this. (SHUDDER)

Offseason (2021) Jocelin Donahue (House of the Devil) drives to the island where her mother was buried to deal with a grave desecration, and finds the residents have some creepy habits and secrets. I’m afraid this one was a bit dull for my taste. (SHUDDER)

Ninja III: The Domination (1984) The first 10 minutes of this film are as phenomenal as any action film you will ever see. A ninja massacres a group of golfers on a course, and in the ensuing police chase he kills about 30 cops, including the helicopter he takes down after climbing a palm tree. It takes about a hundred rounds of ammo to take him down, but not before his evil soul takes possession of a sexy telephone repair-woman/aerobics instructor. At first she uses her new unexplainable martial arts talent to beat up street thugs, but soon she becomes overwhelmed by the urge to murder the police officers who killed the ninja. Sho Kosugi from the first two films shows up as the good guy ninja, who has a bone to pick with the evil one. Tons of violence, unfortunately, no nudity. Director Sam Fisrtenberg also directed the equally outrageous Revenge of the Ninja (Ninja II) and Breakin' 2: Electric Bugaloo. Another sleaze-gem from Cannon Films. (MGM/Cable)

Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance (1972) The first in a series of six films adapted from a popular manga about a wandering assassin and his infant son. Here in the first film, Ogami Itto is the government assassin, who is set up to be a patsy in a regime change. His wife is murdered in the process. He kills the bad guys, and now lives the life of a ronin (masterless samurai) but not before he offers his son the option of choosing a sword and living the life of a killer for hire, or a ball, a choice that would have sent him to live with his mother in the afterlife. Tomisiburo Wakayama plays the Lone Wolf, he’s the real-life brother of Shintaro Katsu, who played Zatoichi and produced this series. It’s far more graphically violent than the Zatocihi films. (HBO)

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2022) No “the” in the title of this Netflix original, which I guess is a direct sequel to the 1974 classic. A group of annoying instagrammers run afoul of Leatherface after disrupting his home-life, where he’d apparantly been living peacefully for decades. OK, was he supposed to be 70 years old because he moved like a young man. The character of Sally Hardesty, the final girl from the first film, has apparently turned into Sara Conner and has been unsuccessfully tracking the killer for all these years! A new actress in that part, of course, as Marilyn Burns passed away in 2014. Well, besides the plot’s absurdity, the gore FX were top notch, and one scene with a damaged sewer pipe made laugh out loud. And it was only about 75 minutes before the credits roll. (NETFLIX)

The Fifth Cord (1971) Franco Nero is a drunken newspaper reporter with a lot of current and ex-girlfriends. When the murder he’s investigating starts turning up multiple dead bodies and all the victims are acquaintances of his, the police consider him a suspect. Luigi Bazzoni doesn’t have a ton of directorial credits on his resume, but this was masterfully shot, a visual work of art. Many people have this as a top giallo, I’d put it more in the middle of the pack, story-wise, but a good watch. Also with Silvia Monti, Ira von Furstenberg, and Edmund Purdom. (SHUDDER)

Death Whistles the Blues aka La muerte silba un blues (1964) An early Jesus Franco work, this black & white Spanish noir is about a man out of prison seeking revenge on the gun trafficking business man that set him up. Stylish, with lots of pretty girls. (MIDNIGHT PULP)

The Last Drive-In with Joe Bob Briggs - Season 4, Week 7

Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker aka Night Warning (1982) Billy has been staying with his aunt (Susan Tyrell) since the (brutal and graphic) car accident death of his parents when he was a baby. Now that he’s about to leave home on a basketball scholarship, his aunt will do anything to keep him home. She stabs a TV repairman in her home and cries rape. The police detective (hatefully portrayed by Bo Svenson) doesn’t buy it after he detects that the repairman was homosexual, and suspects that Billy’s aunt is covering for him. Svenson says “fag” at least 2 dozen times. This was one of the original Video Nasties. Some nudity and a nice body count by the time it was over. Interesting directing credit in this one. William Asher (hubby of Liz Montgomery) had hundreds of sitcom episodes under his belt as director and producer, including I Love Lucy, Bewitched and countless others, as well as few Frankie & Annette beach romps, but nothing even resembling horror. An odd choice, but it turned out to be a fun and very entertaining movie. (SHUDDER)

The Baby (1973) A lady and her 2 hot daughters care for the 21 year old son who is known only as "Baby" and wears diapers, sleeps in a crib and drinks a bottle. Their new social worker is the first one who decides that baby is not retarded, but rather the family is intentionally inhibiting baby’s ability to learn and grow. A feud ensues, and by the end we get several bloody deaths and a kick ass twist. I’d recommend this if you are into weird shit like old John Waters films or Paul Bartel’s Private Parts. Some nudity could have put this movie over the top, but no luck there. Director Ted Post did a few Clint Eastwood movies and one of the Planet of the Apes sequels. (SHUDDER)

Not too many shenanigans from Joe Bob and Darcy this week with “crazy mother/family” theme, they stuck to the movies. Film-wise, it was one of the best double features they put together if ya ask me.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I've weaseled my way back into the history department (for this fall anyway), teaching a postwar US seminar. I had to formally apply for it, but right beside mine on the list is a seminar on Cuba, which immediately activated this in my mind:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jun 2022, 7:59am
I've weaseled my way back into the history department (for this fall anyway), teaching a postwar US seminar. I had to formally apply for it, but right beside mine on the list is a seminar on Cuba, which immediately activated this in my mind:
On OUR time?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy