movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: movies

Post by revbob »

Couldn't sleep last night amd ended up watching The Hunt. It was ok. Hillary Swank does it for me.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The Last Days of Disco. One of my favourite movies (and what an amazing title, evoking the end of a glorious, better period). I've been re-reading Stillman's novelization (written as by one of the characters) and knew I'd fire this up again. Fun fact: I named our one cat Charlotte after Kate Beckinsale's character. Not that there's any real connection there, only that I liked the name because of the movie.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Nov 2022, 7:20pm
The Last Days of Disco. One of my favourite movies (and what an amazing title, evoking the end of a glorious, better period). I've been re-reading Stillman's novelization (written as by one of the characters) and knew I'd fire this up again. Fun fact: I named our one cat Charlotte after Kate Beckinsale's character. Not that there's any real connection there, only that I liked the name because of the movie.
I'm a big Stillman fan. I wonder what the hell he's up to, he hasn't directed a film since 2016.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
09 Nov 2022, 7:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'm a big Stillman fan. I wonder what the hell he's up to, he hasn't directed a film since 2016.
Those first three are so damned choice. I can't recall whether I saw Damsels—if so, it made no impression on me—but that quasi-trilogy is enough to rest a career on.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Nov 2022, 8:02pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Those first three are so damned choice. I can't recall whether I saw Damsels—if so, it made no impression on me—but that quasi-trilogy is enough to rest a career on.
I like Damsels a lot. Gerwig's character is so irritating, but in a way that's preposterously funny rather than making you want to turn her off.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
09 Nov 2022, 8:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I like Damsels a lot. Gerwig's character is so irritating, but in a way that's preposterously funny rather than making you want to turn her off.
Apparently I have a copy of the movie. I'll have to make a point of watching it (again?).

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

V/H/S 99 (2002) Can you believe there’s five of these already? This anthology includes haunted abandoned club where rock band was killed, sorority hazing goes too far, obstacle course/reality show goes waaaaay to far, teenage horndogs peep their sexy neighbor, and satanic ritual with inter-dimensions and a helpful witch named Mabel. How do ya like that, the actress who plays Mabel is the same who played the girl in the recent Deadstream. Obviously, the witch one was the best. The other were not bad, but not great either. If I choose to watch this again, it would probably be a while, but at the same time, I welcome more V/H/S entries, they never hurt anyone. (SHUDDER)

The Pit and the Pendulum (1961) Roger Corman directs this Richard Matheson screenplay adaptation of a Poe story. The brother of Vincent Price’s recently deceased wife (Barbara Steele) comes to visit Price’s old castle to get some answers. What he finds is Price’s father ran a torture chamber dungeon, and his sister may have been unintentionally buried alive. Possible ghosts and unexplained activities drive Vincent to the brink of insanity, and in the last 20 minutes he delivers, arguably, the performance of his life. (TUBI)

The Pit and the Pendulum (1991) Stuart Gordon flick based on Edgar Alan Poe. A baker's wife is wrongly accused of witchcraft by the cruel and lustful Lance Henricksen, where she and other prisoners face unspeakable acts of torture. Like most Gordon films, Jeffery Combs is in there too. Oliver Reed has a cameo as a Cardinal. Tom "Otis" Towles is in there too, and one of those little old ladies you've seen in about 500 things plays an old hag. This was only the third and final acting credit for the beautiful Rona De Ricci, who retired from the film business and lead a low-profile life, until publishing an autobiography about abuse in 2020, and sadly, ending her life. Very good movie, perhaps Gordons best, after ReAnimator and From Beyond. (SHUDDER)

Exorcismo (1975) A rich girl returns form a "hippie cult" and suddenly begins acting strange around her family. Rude, cursing, etc. A few people they know get their heads twisted 180, and the family priest, played by Paul Naschy, gets involved. Not until the last 20 minutes or so does this Exorcist rip off start actually ripping off the Exorcist, but once it does, the make up, the speaking in tongues, the bouncing furniture, it's all there. A good amount of nudity, but overall a little slow. Spanish, dubbed to English. (TUBI)

Joe Bob’s Halloween Hangout

Elvira’s Haunted Hills (2001) Elvira’s 2nd feature is an homage to House of Usher, Pit and the Pendulum, Tomb of Ligea, and the rest of the Poe/Price/Corman catalog from the 60s. Elvira and her assistant stay at an old castle while traveling through Europe on the way to a performance in Paris, and make a bunch of PG-13 dick jokes on their way. But not as many as the first movie.

Popcorn (1991) A college acting class has an all-night sci-fi movie extravaganza as a fundraiser, complete with William Castle-style gimmicks, but a mad killer is picking off the class one by one behind the scenes. With cutie-pie Jill Schoelen, Dee Wallace, and directed by one of the actor from the Porky’s movies. Fun movie, and the bits from the fake movies were entertaining too.

Cassandra Peterson herself was the guest for the first film and as expected, was absolutely delightful. Joe Bob gave old school Halloween prank tips on each break. Jill Schoelen was the guest for the second film and was quite entertaining as well. I did not know that producer Bob Clark and his long time writing partner Alan Ornsby became estranged because of this troubled production. The story is told in detail. (SHUDDER)
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
We watched it tonight (in fact, I hadn't seen it before). It tests one's attitude towards quirky films—I suspect a lot of people would hate it—but we were charmed. Very much of Stillman's style of odd, quippy dialogue. And I'll never not think of him as Chubbard Checker.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Nov 2022, 8:48pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
We watched it tonight (in fact, I hadn't seen it before). It tests one's attitude towards quirky films—I suspect a lot of people would hate it—but we were charmed. Very much of Stillman's style of odd, quippy dialogue. And I'll never not think of him as Chubbard Checker.
I definitely have to decide who I recommend it to, only those who I think would laugh at the over-the-topness of the characters' attitudes and motivations.

I actually wound up rewatching his Austen adaptation Love & Friendship this weekend, which is much funnier than I remembered. It's also as of now his final film, so I hope he gets the bug again.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 2:50pm
I actually wound up rewatching his Austen adaptation Love & Friendship this weekend, which is much funnier than I remembered. It's also as of now his final film, so I hope he gets the bug again.
I wasn't aware of that movie's existence. I'm generally averse to those kinds of period pieces, but I'll seek it out.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 2:56pm
Kory wrote:
I wasn't aware of that movie's existence. I'm generally averse to those kinds of period pieces, but I'll seek it out.
The dialogue, at least, seems quite tongue-in-cheek—without having read the source material, I'm not sure of how much of the writing is Stillman's but based on other Austen films I've watched (very many), it seems a little too funny to be her work entirely.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 2:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 2:56pm
Kory wrote:
The dialogue, at least, seems quite tongue-in-cheek—without having read the source material, I'm not sure of how much of the writing is Stillman's but based on other Austen films I've watched (very many), it seems a little too funny to be her work entirely.
Maybe I'll just read an in-depth movie review. That way I get Stillman's view as well as the critic's opinion. With movies I can never forget that none of it really happened, that it's all just made up by the director.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Barbarian (2022) Thoroughly entertaining Air BnB horror. There’s a cool, 50 year old Donovan song in there. I won’t say another word. Watch it.

Terrifier 2 (2022) Art the Clown is back at it with some of the goriest FX I’ve ever seen. The movie itself, pretty mediocre, just like the first, but this one has the ambition to be one hundred and thirty eight minutes long! And most of the length comes from 10 minute family kitchen conversations, etc, that could have been less than 5. Anyway, I might have enjoyed the story more if it were tighter, it gave me a Silent Night Deadly Night 3 vibe, with the dream sequences and premonitions. Fingers crossed for an editors cut! I’d rewatch a tight edit, otherwise my finger will be on the FF button.

Night of the Howling Beast aka The Werewolf and the Yeti (1975) Paul Naschy reprises his Waldemar Daninsky aka El Hombre Lobo character, but he get a new backstory in this one. On a Himalayan expedition, he has a sexual encounter with two beautiful she-wolves, becomes one himself, creating a dangerous situation for the other two beautiful women, and the rest of the expedition crew, back at the camp. Lots of nudity and enough torn off limbs to land this on the Video Nasties list, but that’s kind of a joke. Naschy movies are an acquired taste, but if you like them, this one suits just fine.

Peeping Tom (1960) A movie studio cameraman films everything in his spare time, including the young women that he has compulsions to kill. This film was not well received upon its release, in fact it derailed the career of popular British director Micheal Powell, and was pulled from distribution where it remained rarely seen until a revival 20 years later, spearheaded by Martin Scorcese! Now it’s regarded as a proto-slasher masterpiece. Anna Massey (later in Hitchcock’s Frenzy) plays the girl next door, and also featuring a bevy of beauties, including Shirley Anne Field, Pamela Green, and Moira Shearer.

Inquisition (1977) El Hombre Lobo himself, Paul Naschy, stars and makes his directorial debut in this Witchfinder General/Mark of the Devil inspired sleazefest. When a beautiful young peasant woman’s fiance is murdered, she turns to the black arts for revenge, and the Grand Inquisitor (Naschy) falls under her charms. Lots of torture scenes, and lots and lots of nudity. (DVD)

The Fourth Victim (1971) A rich London widower buries his third wife in as many years, so why would Caroll Baker want to become number four? She’s got something up her sleeve. This Spanish giallo from the director of Horror Express has a very clunky script, but is saved in the last act by a good performance from Marina Malfatti. (TUBI)

The Long Hair of Death (1965) Witch burning, curses, lecherous upper class, the plague and the living dead are all on display in this gothic euro-horror from Antonio Margheriti, starring the always captivating Barbara Steele. (YouTube)
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
12 Aug 2021, 8:30pm

Straight Edge Kegger (2019) After Brad dumps his no-fun punk buddies and starts hanging out with a drink or two, his former compadres pull a home invasion on a house party and kill the fuck out of everyone, including a pair of grossly incompetent cops. Talk about overreaction! Played serious, maybe some humor would have helped. Only 80 minutes, nothing I’d see twice.
Really bad acting and script. The music was the best part and thst wasn't too good.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Watching Alice's Restaurant again for Thanksgiving holiday time. What a brilliant film. I love it more every time. It retains the humoress anti-war elements of the original but bakes it into a elegaic collapse of the 60s counterculture. But there's a lot of compassion towards everyone in the film too, which gives it an essential sweetness despite its melancholy.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!