movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: movies

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
17 Dec 2021, 10:49am
Kate (2021) The always enchanting MEW plays an assassin out for revenge when a hit in Tokyo goes south. Pretty corny and cliched script (smart-mouth teen, someone sold me out, solve my own murder, etc), but basically an excuse for loads of excessive fight scenes and gun violence. Fun watch.
Loved this but Im a big MEW fan.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Cruella. Wow, what a waste. And it's sad to say, but Emma Stone upstaged Emma Thompson so hard.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Moxie (2021). The Boss and I watched this tonight, based on a recommendation from a student. The premise is a teenage girl is inspired by her mother's Riot Grrrl past to anonymously start a zine that calls a feminist revolution at her high school. A lot of the elements are predictable and done without any kind of nuance—the ending especially—but its heart is in the right place in binding RG with MeToo. I imagine it'd be more affecting to those much younger than (slightly) jaundiced Xers.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Dec 2021, 10:04pm
Moxie (2021). The Boss and I watched this tonight, based on a recommendation from a student. The premise is a teenage girl is inspired by her mother's Riot Grrrl past to anonymously start a zine that calls a feminist revolution at her high school. A lot of the elements are predictable and done without any kind of nuance—the ending especially—but its heart is in the right place in binding RG with MeToo. I imagine it'd be more affecting to those much younger than (slightly) jaundiced Xers.
I saw that. I liked it enough but...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
18 Dec 2021, 11:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
It was very Gen Z. Nothing wrong with that, but it does have a certain crowd-pleasing quality that made it less effective. But we weren't the target audience, so I didn't exactly grumble.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Dec 2021, 7:40am
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
It was very Gen Z. Nothing wrong with that, but it does have a certain crowd-pleasing quality that made it less effective. But we weren't the target audience, so I didn't exactly grumble.
You losing your edge?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
19 Dec 2021, 9:32am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Dec 2021, 7:40am
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
You losing your edge?
Nah, just trying not to be a Boomer and think that any cultural product that isn't aimed at me is garbage. I'll still rip the fuck out of anything inane that operates in my sandbox.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Silent Night, Deadly Night 3: You Better Watch Out (1989) If you recall, Billy’s younger brother Ricky took over the Santa suit in part 2, and was the perpetrator behind the infamous Garbage Day Massacre before getting his head blown off by cops. Well, it is supposedly 6 years later, and Ricky (who’s now played by Bill Mosley) is in a coma with a clear plastic head-guard over his head, covering his exposed brain! A doctor is experimenting with a young psychic blind girl (with kind of a bad attitude) who is hooked up to Ricky, and can see his memories in her dreams. This is all on Xmas eve, by the way. Her brother (with Michael Bolton hair) picks her up with his hot girlfriend and they drive up to granny’s house. Ricky wakes from his coma, kills some of the hospital staff, reads the blind girls thoughts, and hitch-hikes (with exposed brain, don’t forget) to granny’s house, and somehow gets there and hour before her. He kills granny, so when the 3 get there and find granny is missing, what do they do? Go upstairs and fuck in the bathtub, of course. A cop and a doctor have an incredibly boring car ride up to the house as well, Ricky starts killing some more, you get the gist. Wonderfully bad movie, you may just wanna see it to believe it!

Silent Night, Deadly Night 4: Initiation (1990) A low level newspaper reporter tries to advance her career by uncovering a suicide which she believes may be spontaneous combustion. She ends up getting involved with Maud (Octopussy) Adams and her coven of witches or pagans, with help from homeless Clint Howard and a bunch of dog-sized roaches and and some slimy centipede-like creatures. Brian Yuzna, who also directed the ReAnimator sequels and Society, has all the gross-out body horror you’d expect from him. I enjoyed this a lot more than my notes indicated ten years ago, perhaps due to the beautiful, and sometimes naked Neith Hunter, who played the lead.

Silent Night, Deadly Night 5: The Toy Maker (1991) This is a re-working of Pinocchio, Mickey Rooney (in a straight to video slasher!?!?) is the old toy maker, and his son Pino, and their toys attack and kill the recipients. It started slow, but there was a good scene late in the film where a babysitter and her boyfriend were mauled by assorted toys, and then the twist ending ending was kinda twisted/interesting. Neith Hunter and Clint Howard form part 4 had cameos.

Slumber Party Massacre III (1990) Six pretty college girls have a sleepover, and some over them take their tops off and dance. Some boys come over, and most of them get killed by a drill. About as good as the first two.

Prisoners of the Ghostland (2021) Cartoonish homage to Escape From New York set in a spaghetti western version of Tokyo, with Nic Cage as the Kurt Russel, and Bill Mosely as the Lee Van Cleef. Jeez, how many more Nic-Cage-On-A-Rampage movies can I take? This was the worst of the bunch, took me three sittings to get through. If I can say one nice thing, the costumes where the soulless slave girls wore mannequin parts as body armor was creepy-cool.

Top Sensation aka The Seducers (1969) A rich woman and her paid companions, which include a husband and wife team who take turns servicing her, and a prostitute who is there to have sex with her 20 year-old retarded son in hopes that it will “fix him”, spend several days dicking around their yacht when it becomes stuck on the shore of a remote island. The son, Tony, who hates everyone on board, wanders off and meets a peasant girl, who the rest quickly persuade to join them on the yacht for cocktails and a makeover and try to convince her to make Tony a man. Then her husband comes looking for her, they get him drunk too, and…well, from there it gets wild! If both Edwege Fenech and Rosalba Neri running around in bikinis for the entire film (that is when thery’re dressed at all) isn’t enough, the last 20 minutes of this outrageous, early proto-giallo sex romp is explosive!

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

The Advent Calendar aka Le Calendrier (2021) A young woman in wheelchair receives an antique advent calendar for her early December birthday, and soon discovers that that all the candies and gifts have specific, real-life consequences, and some of them violent. Good main character, highly enjoyable. This is one to be seen, if not this Christmas, then next. French, with subtitles.

Death Valley (2021) Two bumbling mercenaries on rescue mission to save a scientist in an underground research bunker, where creatures are running wild. Too bad the first half of the movie was the incredibly dull and unlikable characters running around doing boring army stuff before we get any monster action. Not to be confused with the cool 1982 slasher of the same name.

I Trapped the Devil (2019) A man and his wife visit his estranged brother, unannounced, for the holidays to find he has a prisoner in his basement, whom he claims is the devil. OK, we know the Twilight Zone already did this, and perhaps it’s a story best suited to a half hour, because the 80 minute runntime felt like an eternity. I can not recommend.

Torso aka I corpi presentano tracce di violenza carnale (1973) Co-eds are turning up strangled, and the only clue the police have is a black and red scarf. No shortage of beautiful women in this one, and most of them spend some time naked. Suzy Kendall (The Bird with the Crystal Plumage) and her girlfriends take a weekend retreat to a secluded mansion on a hill, where no one can hear them scream. One small knock I have in this otherwise top giallo is that one of the main girls is killed off very matter-of-factly, she built up a great deal of viewer sympathy, then was gone in a second. One of the best gialli form one of the best gialli directors, Sergio Martino.

The People Under the Stairs (1991) Ving Rhames and a 13 year old kid break into the house of the ghetto slumlords (Everett McGill and Wendy Robie, who are reunited from Twin Peaks) to steal some gold coins they are said to have. They also have a bunch of zombie-like prisoners in their basement. McGill puts on a gimp costume and chases them around the house with a shotgun, borderlining slapstick. Rhames would famously share a screen with another gimp a few years later. Also with the Got Milk guy, and written and directed by Wes Craven. Saw this at the Drive-In when it came out, good for a rewatch every ten years or so.

I’m Dangerous Tonight (1990) Made-for-TV from Tobe Hooper and starring the beautiful Madchen Amick (Twin Peaks) as a co-ed who finds a red cape at an estate sale and fashions it into a dress. The cape has an Aztec curse and whomever possesses it has an urge to kill. She gets rid of the dress, but it manages to find its way around, including to Dee Wallace who uncharacteristically dresses like a prostitute. Also with Anthony Perkins as a professor, R. Lee Emry as a cop, and Gilligan’s Island’s Natalie Schafer in her final screen appearance, looking all of her 90 years. Despite the good cast and director, this was pretty forgettable.

Joe Bob Ruins Christmas

Joe Bob and Darcy auction items for charity and “gift” eachother their personal favorites to watch and discuss:

Ice Cream Man (1995) Clint Howard is the title character, kidnapping children and serving scoops with eyeballs and bloody fingers, etc, in this shambles of a horror-comedy, which somehow includes Oliva Hussey, David Naughton, Jan-Michael Vincent, The People's Court's Doug Llewellyn, and David Warner. The main kid is a fat kid, played by a skinny kid in a fat suit. Some entertaining visuals, particularly in the mental asylum. I’d thought I’d seen this before, but I was confusing it with a similarly themed Masters of Horror episode (which was better).

Gator Bait (1974) Playboy centerfold Claudia Jennings plays a backwoods gator poacher, who cares for her teen sis and bro (who was born without a tongue). When the Sheriff’s son and his dimwitted buddy attempt to rape her, she throws some snakes into their boat. Sheriff’s son unloads his gun, sinking his daddy's new boat and killing his friend. He blames it on the girl, so a posse of hillbillies set out to exact some southern justice, only to find they bit off more than they could chew. Lots of killings, some explosions, and brief nudity from Claudia, major nudity from her sister.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I LOVED advent calendar. Great premise, well made. And I thought the lead actress was exceptionally gorgeous, for whatever that's worth
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Flex wrote:
24 Dec 2021, 2:21pm
I LOVED advent calendar. Great premise, well made. And I thought the lead actress was exceptionally gorgeous, for whatever that's worth
i liked the friend too. although her gift-giving choices are questionable. Here's a old box with a demon on it that might kill you, happy birthday! But yeah, great movie!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The Boss showed me an on-demand movie channel we have—apparently we've had it for years, something I was wholly unaware of—so I picked After Hours, one of my favourites. Fantastic black humour within a Kafkaesque New York night.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Dec 2021, 4:12pm
The Boss showed me an on-demand movie channel we have—apparently we've had it for years, something I was wholly unaware of—so I picked After Hours, one of my favourites. Fantastic black humour within a Kafkaesque New York night.
Didn't you just watch this a couple months ago, or were you just talking about it? I wound up watching it at that time since I was intrigued and liked it a lot.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc