movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Re: movies

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2020, 1:32pm
Kory wrote:
26 May 2020, 1:19pm
Low Down Low wrote:
25 May 2020, 8:50pm
Been doing a bit of retro stuff lately and just finished S1 of Taxi. Utterly brilliant. Jim's only made one appearance so far, for Latkas fake wedding and it's the best episode. Just so much great humour and characters in the show, forgot how much i liked Alex and the quiet way he pulls it all together. Also watched about 10 early episodes of cheers and no question for me, Taxi beats it out of the park.
To be fair, Cheers gets way better later on.
Cheers goes into decline after Coach dies, then really into decline after Diane leaves. Nothing against Woody Harrelson, but Kirstie Alley brought little to the show.
We had a discussion about Cheers not too long ago. That's pretty much my assessment after watching it on the netflixes. After Coach left, it took a dip, but after Diane left it went off a cliff -- not even the same chemistry. I have to hand it to Woody, though. He had some big shoes to fill and got better after his first season.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

101Walterton wrote:
26 May 2020, 6:54am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2020, 6:19am
Low Down Low wrote:
26 May 2020, 5:26am
Starting S2 today so think Jim will be a regular from now on. They get rid of John i think who was a bit of a weak link, nothing character. I don't know if it's just the passing time but that theme tune, and the car driving over the 60st street bridge, evokes a warm sense of melancholy in me. Cant think of any other old sitcom I'd have that relationship with, maybe Sgt Bilko but that's a stretch.
John was a poorly conceived character. Nothing distinct about him. He was like an elevated extra. And, yes, the theme song captures the mood of the show well, that undercurrent of glumness. Such a 1970s vibe—the hangover after the 1960s.
Haunting theme song. There were some real classic US theme songs around that era.
OMG, I can't believe we actually agree on something. lol

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2020, 2:01pm
revbob wrote:
26 May 2020, 1:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Been doing a bit of retro stuff lately and just finished S1 of Taxi. Utterly brilliant. Jim's only made one appearance so far, for Latkas fake wedding and it's the best episode. Just so much great humour and characters in the show, forgot how much i liked Alex and the quiet way he pulls it all together. Also watched about 10 early episodes of cheers and no question for me, Taxi beats it out of the park.
Cheers goes into decline after Coach dies, then really into decline after Diane leaves. Nothing against Woody Harrelson, but Kirstie Alley brought little to the show.
Yeah, this was a show that went on for far too long. Weren't the last few seasons just setting up for the Fraiser spin off? Maybe I don't remember it right though.
I don't remember the idea of a Frasier spin-off being obvious. It seemed like it was a show that too successful to kill but not creative enough to justify going on. So it limped along until Ted Danson decided the fat paycheques weren't enough for him.
Fair enough I really just recall the show getting really weak.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
26 May 2020, 2:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
We had a discussion about Cheers not too long ago. That's pretty much my assessment after watching it on the netflixes. After Coach left, it took a dip, but after Diane left it went off a cliff -- not even the same chemistry. I have to hand it to Woody, though. He had some big shoes to fill and got better after his first season.
Woody's character became really bland when he started dating the rich girl. Success, it seems, ruined the show. The storylines got further and further away from the original appeal.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Kory wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Fair point. I didn't intend to sound like i was dissing Cheers, just i happened to be watching both last week. Really liked Cheers as a kid. Will be starting Newhart next to keep the retro vibe going!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
26 May 2020, 2:57pm
Will be starting Newhart next to keep the retro vibe going!
Everyone seems to hate on the first couple seasons with Kirk, the owner of the cafe, but I liked his character. Mind you, it's been decades since I've seen Newhart so my feelings might be different now. As good as Bob Newhart and Tom Poston were, the supporting cast never grabbed me much.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

never seen one episode of Cheers, my sister and I used to sing "Where everybody know's you're lame."
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2020, 3:30pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Everyone seems to hate on the first couple seasons with Kirk, the owner of the cafe, but I liked his character. Mind you, it's been decades since I've seen Newhart so my feelings might be different now. As good as Bob Newhart and Tom Poston were, the supporting cast never grabbed me much.
I watched as a kid and remember enjoying it but curious to rewatch as noticed it scoring high on a couple of greatest ever sitcom lists which surprised me a bit tbh.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
26 May 2020, 4:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2020, 3:30pm
Low Down Low wrote:
I watched as a kid and remember enjoying it but curious to rewatch as noticed it scoring high on a couple of greatest ever sitcom lists which surprised me a bit tbh.
I've seen it cited the same way, which also surprises. You'd think that for something that revered it'd be more common in syndication, but I can't recall the last time it was on a retro channel. I also remember the lighting or film that it used in later seasons made it look rather cheap compared to other shows at the time.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Are we talking Newhart or the Bob Newhart Show?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 May 2020, 6:00pm
Newhart. I assume all your neighbours are like what Dick had to endure.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2020, 6:04pm
revbob wrote:
Actually I'm not sure which i was referring to, forgot there were 2 Newharts right? The one i watched years back was set in an old lodge in the mountains somewhere, something like that anyway. I recall it being rather safe and harmless so maybe wasnt the best one.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Yeah my neighbors Daryl, Daryl and Daryl.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 May 2020, 6:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Yeah my neighbors Daryl, Daryl and Daryl.
Larry, Daryl, and Daryl. Don't you even know your neighbours?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
26 May 2020, 6:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Actually I'm not sure which i was referring to, forgot there were 2 Newharts right? The one i watched years back was set in an old lodge in the mountains somewhere, something like that anyway. I recall it being rather safe and harmless so maybe wasnt the best one.
Yeah, that's Newhart, set in Vermont. His first sitcom, in the 70s, was The Bob Newhart Show, set in Chicago where he played a psychiatrist. Of the two, that's the better one, imo. He also made another sitcom in the 90s that didn't last long, playing a cartoonist, I think.