movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: movies

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 8:42am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 8:02am
Anyone seen The Outwaters? Because I'm old and cynical, I can't help but think that the Apple watch claims are just efforts at viral promo.
https://www.nme.com/news/film/the-outwa ... rs-3415975
Imdb gives it a score of 4.4/10
That’s because so many people have died from fright before rating it.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 9:08am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Anyone seen The Outwaters? Because I'm old and cynical, I can't help but think that the Apple watch claims are just efforts at viral promo.
And those who do survive are so damaged they only have negative things to say.

Spoiler alert

Male character cuts his penis off with a shark tooth (off camera) and plays with it on the ground (graphically on camera)

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 9:18am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Spoiler alert

Male character cuts his penis off with a shark tooth (off camera) and plays with it on the ground (graphically on camera)
Meh, that's just a variation of Porky's.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 9:24am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Spoiler alert

All great cinema is
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 9:32am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Spoiler alert

All great cinema is
Every Tarantino movie has been his constant rewriting of Porky’s.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Spoiler alert

I never understood the appeal.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 10:20am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Spoiler alert

Cutting off your wing-wang with a shark tooth? Me neither.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 10:23am
revbob wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 10:20am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Spoiler alert

Cutting off your wing-wang with a shark tooth? Me neither.
That and Porky's. And Ive tried both.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I remember watching Porky's as a kid and finding it alright, but I imagine it's filled with rape so I won't revisit.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Silent Majority wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 10:58am
I remember watching Porky's as a kid and finding it alright, but I imagine it's filled with rape so I won't revisit.
Given the two options cutting your dick off with a shark tooth is less painful.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 10:58am
The essence of pretty much every teen sex comedy is pressuring a girl to give it up one way or another. The humour is in the ineptness of the many, many efforts to get there.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Mona Lisa and the Blood Moon (2021) A young woman (Jeong Jong-seo) with psychic powers and no past escapes a cruel mental assylum and meets a stripper (Kate Hudson) who takes advantage of her abilities to grift on the streets of New Orleans. Craig Robinson is a cop. Written and directed by Ana Lily Amirpour (A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night). I’m actually a little angry that this relatively new release has so little buzz, because it was fucking great. I hadn’t heard a peep about it, or if I had it went in one ear and out the other. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! (Showtime)

Cocaine Bear (2023) I had a blast with this. As advertised, I can’t imagine anyone not getting what they expected from this. Ray Liotta’s last movie. (theater)

Zombi 5: Killing Birds (1988) Italian co-eds from Louisiana that speak with a New England accent go bird watching and find Robert Vaughn with a runny eye socket. I'm not saying it was bad, but in comparison it makes Zombi 4 look like Zombi 3. Took me three sittings to get through it. (TUBI)

The Female Bunch (1971) Al Adamson was a prolific Grade Z horror director, but he tackles a “tough gal modern western” here. A heartbroken Vegas waitress joins an off-the-grid gang of man-hating heroin dealers , and violence ensues. Plus multiple non-sexy nude scenes. Top billing goes to Russ Tamblyn and Lon Chaney Jr., though they were supporting characters at best. No wonder they hated men. You could smell the alcohol sweat on poor ol’ Lon just from looking at him. (Midnight Pulp)

Necromancy (1972) A young housewife is lured into a coven by Orson Wells, but she's obsessed with a rag doll she stole from a dead kid in a car wreck. Also with Pamela Franklin, Lee Purcell, Faster Pussycat's Sue Bernard. Director Bert I Gordon was taking a break from the giant animal/insect films he was (in)famous for. (Midnight Pulp)

Gamera vs Barugon (1966) The first sequel to Daiei Film’s answer to Toho’s Godzilla, the fire-eating turtle is back from Mars and creating more havoc in Japan. A group of crooks travel to a primitive island where they steal an opal the size of a softball. Turns out it was not an opal at all, but an egg. The egg incubates under the care of the bad guy and grows into a giant horned monster called Barugon, not to be confused with another horned lizard called Baragon, who was one of the lesser monsters in a few Toho films. Barugon has a spray come out of it’s throat that causes instant freeze on anything it touches. It will be a battle of fire vs, ice when he and Gamera cross paths. AIP bought the American rights and released it straight to television under the title War of the Monsters, where it got heavy TV rotation for most of the 1970s, along with several other Gamera adventures. (DVD)

Strike Commando (1987) Bruno Mattei, the King of Italian Rip-off Movies, tackles the Rambo/POW genre. Muscular Reb Brown, who played Captain America in two late 70s TV movies, is a special forces soldier left for dead in Vietman, who kills his way to safety before perusing the corrupt officials that double crossed him. Highlights include a fistfight with a Russian body builder, getting a shave before appearing on the radio, and telling a dying Vietnamese child in his arms that popcorn grows on trees in that wonderful American place known as Disneyland. Must be seen to be believed. (Midnight Pulp, I’m pretty sure this streams on multiple platforms)

Tropic of Cancer (1972) Anita Strindbeg’s Haitian vacation is interrupted when she finds her husband, along with a bevy of other undesirables, is in a bidding war for a narcotic created by a doctor friend of theirs. Rum replaces J&B in this tropical giallo, which has its share of nudity (male and female) and just enough kills. No classic, but with an hour and half. (TUBI)

Holidays (2016) 8 short horror films from 8 directors, each with a holiday theme. I liked every one of them, with Easter and New Year's Eve as my standouts. A few had some ambiguous endings, Father's Day may have been the best if I had liked the end better. 2nd watch, Good stuff, not great. A few recognizable faces would be Lorenza Izzo, Jocelin Donahue, and Seth Green. (SHUDDER)

Primitif aka Primitives (1978) Indonesia takes a crack at the popular (at the time) Italian Cannibal genre and lifts the story straight out of Man From Deep River, Slave of the Cannibal God, and Jungle Holocaust, as a group of college students go river rafting in search of a lost tribe, and find them. This is also known as Savage Terror, and Death Cry of the Cannibals. Pretty inept, but I can’t say I was bored. Beware of animal cruelty footage. (Midnight Pulp)

Robowar (1987) Bruno Mattei, the king of Italian rip-off movies, manages to mash Predator and RoboCop into one, as a group of Commandos find themselves up against an unstoppable force in the jungle. Catherine Hickland plays “Virgin”, the scantily clad damsel in distress, who in real life was a soap star-turned-Hasslehoff wife-turned-Las Vegas magician. The antagonist looks like Daft Punk. Just turn your brain off and enjoy. (Midnight Pulp)
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Knock at the Cabin (2023) The first 40 or so minutes of this are as frustrating as can be, but when it settles in it’s pretty entertaining. I’m not someone who blindly hates M. Night at all, but he's hit & miss. I dig both Old and The Visit, I'm really not sure how I feel about this one. I don’t think I’d watch this one a 2nd time though. (Peacock)

Gamera vs Gyaos (1967) The 3rd Gamera film introduces Gyaos, a giant vampire bat-like creature that shoots a laser beam from its mouth that can slice and dice airplanes and warships with surgical precision faster than they can shoot weapons at it. He also cuts Gamera up pretty good too, but of course, the big turtle was distracted by the child-in-peril that he needed to rescue. He even flew him to safety on his back. It is soon realized that Gyaos is nocturnal, and like a vampire, starts to burn up in the sun, so the plan is to keep him out all night by pushing Gamera into a rematch…and then a third. In between the fights, they managed to nearly knock Gyaos dizzy by spinning him around on the roof of a revolving restaurant! The great terrapin eventually prevails and is ready for a new kid-saving adventure next year. This was shown on American TV as Return of the Giant Monsters. (DVD)

Strike Commando 2 (1988) Jungle thrills as Rambo meets Raiders of the Lost Ark. A new actor takes the role of Sgt Ransom as he attempts to rescue Richard Harris from drug/diamond smugglers. Richard Harris in a Bruno Mattei movie, ha! Also featuring Vic Diaz, like any good Filipino-shot movie should. (Midnight Pulp)

Hitcher in the Dark (1989) Rich boy drives a Winnebago around Virginia Beach picking up female hitchhikers and murdering them. Melrose Place’s Josie Bissett (in her very first role) takes a ride and ends up drugged, and tied down. The creep thinks she looks like his mother, so he cuts her hair and takes naked pictures. Her boyfriend is on the trail. Plenty of nudity, including a gratuitous wet t-shirt contest. From Umberto Lenzi (TUBI)

Pray for Death (1985) Sho Kosugi and his family are minding their own business when they're pulled into a jewel war by the mob and crooked cops, but they fucked with the wrong secret Ninja. Nice climax in a mannequin factory with a chainsaw. Fun, but I would have liked this revenge flick a little gorier. (YouTube)

Violence in a Woman’s Prison (1982) Laura Gemser is the new prisoner with a secret, her real-life husband Gabriele Tinti is the doctor/inmate who is convicted of euthanizing his cancer-stricken wife. The first hour rolls along plotlessly, loaded with fights and sexual assault, but it really comes together at the end. Good stuff from Bruno Mattei, filmed back to back with Women’s Prison Massacre. (DVD)

Burial Ground: The Nights of Terror (1981) Three adult couples at a vacation mansion, where an archeologist has recently caused the dead from a nearby cemetery to rise. Buckets of gore, and enough nudity to fill the sleaze factor, but what sets this one apart is that the main character is a sexy mom whose 10 year old son (played by a tiny adult) keeps cockblocking her boyfriend because he’s horny for her, and the progression of that sub-plot keeps getting better. This one is non-stop action and maybe the most entertaining Italian zombie movie out there. Director Andrea Bianchi has a few sleazy gialli, including What the Peeper Saw and Strip Nude for your Killer under his belt. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED (if you like this kinda crap) (Midnight Pulp)

Demonia (1990) A Canadian archeologist has a psychic connection with five Satanic, mustard-spitting nuns that were buried in Sicily 500 years earlier, and the townsfolk are mad in Lucio Fulci's ghostly-nunsploitation effort. Takes a while to get rolling, but there's some gore scenes in here that are worth it. I liked it a lot better than when I saw it 10 or 12 years ago. (SHUDDER)

The Coming of Sin (1978) A reclusive artist takes in a young peasant woman whose nightmares of being assaulted by a naked man on a horse are about to become a reality in this psycho-sexual thriller from José Ramón Larraz, the director of Vampyres and Whirlpool. Lots and lots of nudity, and then some more. (Midnight Pulp)

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
21 Apr 2023, 11:05am
Knock at the Cabin (2023) The first 40 or so minutes of this are as frustrating as can be, but when it settles in it’s pretty entertaining. I’m not someone who blindly hates M. Night at all, but he's hit & miss. I dig both Old and The Visit, I'm really not sure how I feel about this one. I don’t think I’d watch this one a 2nd time though. (Peacock)
I listened to the novel this is based on some time ago because it got rave reviews. I was pretty meh to it.