movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: movies

Post by Dr. Medulla »

We're watching Patton right now and The Boss is getting more and more pissed off at his behaviour. I told her that he dies in 1945, and that seemed to satisfy her.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Nov 2021, 3:29pm
We're watching Patton right now and The Boss is getting more and more pissed off at his behaviour. I told her that he dies in 1945, and that seemed to satisfy her.
I don't think he was meant to be a sympathetic character.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
21 Nov 2021, 7:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
It's such a well-done film and character framing that both war hawks and doves, I think, could come away thinking, "Yeah, that was addressed to me." I mean, Nixon *loved* that film, apparently playing the opening scene over and over as inspiration as Watergate's walls came closing in.

I know zilcho about cinematography and film stock and all that, but I just love the colour films from the 50s to early 70s. There's a vibrancy to the colour—more colourful than reality—that just captures my imagination. I'm already halfway there to buying into the story in a way that I'm not with stuff from the 80s onward. That was reinforced all over again watching Patton—the colour just pulled me in.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Nov 2021, 8:04pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
It's such a well-done film and character framing that both war hawks and doves, I think, could come away thinking, "Yeah, that was addressed to me." I mean, Nixon *loved* that film, apparently playing the opening scene over and over as inspiration as Watergate's walls came closing in.

I know zilcho about cinematography and film stock and all that, but I just love the colour films from the 50s to early 70s. There's a vibrancy to the colour—more colourful than reality—that just captures my imagination. I'm already halfway there to buying into the story in a way that I'm not with stuff from the 80s onward. That was reinforced all over again watching Patton—the colour just pulled me in.
I saw it 30+ years ago and recall it being a great film but not much else.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

revbob wrote:
21 Nov 2021, 10:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I saw it 30+ years ago and recall it being a great film but not much else.
I remember really liking it when I watched it on VHS in the late 80's. If there was top ten list of opening movie scenes, Patton's has to be on it.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Nixon *loved* that film, apparently playing the opening scene over and over as inspiration as Watergate's walls came closing in.
VCRs weren't even invented. I guess being "president" has its perks.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
22 Nov 2021, 12:07pm
Believe me, George C. Scott's voice changed to Homer's in my head at that part.
tepista wrote:
22 Nov 2021, 12:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Nixon *loved* that film, apparently playing the opening scene over and over as inspiration as Watergate's walls came closing in.
VCRs weren't even invented. I guess being "president" has its perks.
It's been custom that a president can order up any movie and the studio will get them a copy immediately. At a certain point, the studio might have just told Dick to keep the copy because he'd had it so long.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Nov 2021, 12:21pm
It's been custom that a president can order up any movie and the studio will get them a copy immediately. At a certain point, the studio might have just told Dick to keep the copy because he'd had it so long.
Same thing with Trump and Hot Dog: The Movie.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
22 Nov 2021, 12:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Clinton had everything Traci Lords ever made.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Nov 2021, 1:01pm
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
So do I!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
22 Nov 2021, 1:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Nov 2021, 1:01pm
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
So do I!
I knew you were a natural politician.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Nov 2021, 1:15pm
I knew you were a natural politician.
A Big Naturals Politician
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Believe me, George C. Scott's voice changed to Homer's in my head at that part.
Ever since Dave Sim said Cerebus' voice sounds like GCS, I can't watch any of his movies without putting an aardvark in his position.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

And, of course, his greatest role: