movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Re: movies

Post by tepista »

i liked Child's Play (2019) WAY better than I wanted to
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

movie observation: a lot of trouble in rosemary's baby could have been averted if abortion wasn't so stigmatized. centrist-dems position of "safe, legal and rare" results in more spawns of satan than the dnc-controlled media would let you believe!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 1:32pm
movie observation: a lot of trouble in rosemary's baby could have been averted if abortion wasn't so stigmatized. centrist-dems position of "safe, legal and rare" results in more spawns of satan than the dnc-controlled media would let you believe!
What a coincidence - that is the messaging my organization is putting out! :mrgreen:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 1:32pm
But Rosemary didn't want to abort. So unless you're being a true liberal and want all white babies to be aborted so mestizos will overrun the Western hemisphere, it won't work.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 3:15pm
But Rosemary didn't want to abort. So unless you're being a true liberal and want all white babies to be aborted so mestizos will overrun the Western hemisphere, it won't work.
Yeah, I'm saying she quickly dismissed abortion out of hand, but there's nothing wrong with abortion! She was a victim of a bipartisan messaging campaign where both liberals and conservatives conceded that abortion was immoral (well, maybe, safe legal and rare was more of a 90s formulation, but my point is that the clintonian/biden wing of the party would have approved of her immediate rejection of abortion).

Less snarkily, it more struck me as weird that she dismissed getting an abortion with one throwaway line, as if it was prima facie obvious that wasn't a reasonable option. This obviously happens a lot in demonic birth type stories for plot reasons, but it seems like it's only believable because there is (or was) a broad social and political consensus that there's something morally wrong with abortion. If that wasn't the case, it would be a hard plot point to hand-wave away.

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

JennyB wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 1:57pm
What a coincidence - that is the messaging my organization is putting out! :mrgreen:
Goes good on a poster!

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 3:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yeah, I'm saying she quickly dismissed abortion out of hand, but there's nothing wrong with abortion! She was a victim of a bipartisan messaging campaign where both liberals and conservatives conceded that abortion was immoral (well, maybe, safe legal and rare was more of a 90s formulation, but my point is that the clintonian/biden wing of the party would have approved of her immediate rejection of abortion).

Less snarkily, it more struck me as weird that she dismissed getting an abortion with one throwaway line, as if it was prima facie obvious that wasn't a reasonable option. This obviously happens a lot in demonic birth type stories for plot reasons, but it seems like it's only believable because there is (or was) a broad social and political consensus that there's something morally wrong with abortion. If that wasn't the case, it would be a hard plot point to hand-wave away.
I blame the inventor of chocolate mousse.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex

Post by Flex »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 3:41pm
I can't remember the last time I saw Rosemary's Baby, but John Cassavetes performance in that scene (and in general) really struck me this time around. Just total gaslighting (in the sense it's meant to be used) in that scene and throughout the movie. Really nefarious shit. Obviously, his actions in and around the rape scene always stood out, but I think I must not have scene the film since I'd learned some of the vocabulary to identify his character's behavior more precisely than "lying, manipulating asshole."

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 3:44pm
Marky Dread wrote:
I can't remember the last time I saw Rosemary's Baby, but John Cassavetes performance in that scene (and in general) really struck me this time around. Just total gaslighting (in the sense it's meant to be used) in that scene and throughout the movie. Really nefarious shit. Obviously, his actions in and around the rape scene always stood out, but I think I must not have scene the film since I'd learned some of the vocabulary to identify his character's behavior more precisely than "lying, manipulating asshole."
He is a pig for sure. When I first saw it many moons ago it struck me that his callousness was brilliantly acted. Apparently he didn't stick to Polanski's direction and chose to improvise.
Last edited by Marky Dread on 25 Oct 2019, 3:55pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Has anyone seen The Irishman?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

101Walterton wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 3:51pm
Only in my erotic dreams.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 3:56pm
101Walterton wrote:
Do you wear your cardigan in your erotic dreams?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Flex wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 3:44pm
Marky Dread wrote:
What infuriated me is the whole deal about hurting Dr. Saperstein's feelings, or whatever. I wouldda went OFF THE FUCKING RAILS! I saw it only a few months ago myself, for some reason I loved it many times more than my previous watches. Maturity? ;)
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 3:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Wasn't her rejection of abortion more rooted in her Catholicism? Or is that not mentioned in the movie (just the novel)? But whether rooted in patriarchy or religion (or, of course, a mixture), the underlying argument in the film is that women have no control over their bodies, tho it comes at it obliquely because Rosemary's concern for the autonomy of her body was in how to maintain her pregnancy, not whether to end it.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 3:57pm
Kory wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 3:56pm
101Walterton wrote:
Do you wear your cardigan in your erotic dreams?
Only that and black socks.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc