movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Re: movies

Post by Mimi »

Tried to watch We've Always Lived in the Castle last night on the netflix. Dumb.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Mimi wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 10:40am
Tried to watch We've Always Lived in the Castle last night on the netflix. Dumb.
I never even heard of that. It sounds like a horror movie and it has a horror movie cast!
I actually turned off NF for a few moths, wasn't using it a lot. I'll let them build up a few months worth of content and turn it back on.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

tepista wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 12:06pm
Mimi wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 10:40am
I never even heard of that. It sounds like a horror movie and it has a horror movie cast!
I actually turned off NF for a few moths, wasn't using it a lot. I'll let them build up a few months worth of content and turn it back on.
If you watch it, go in with very low expectations.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Im really bad at writing movie reviews. I watched Kate yesterday which was MEW's return to the screen and our hearts. Over the top violence throughout and MEW as an assassin gets tons of screen time so if you're a MEW fan (and you should be) you'll enjoy it.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

I've got high hopes for this one:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

matedog wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 3:19pm
I've got high hopes for this one:
Looks really good, can't wait to see it. Hope it makes it to Amazon Prime or HBO Max, we dropped Apple TV about a year or so ago.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Malignant (2021) James Wan’s over-the-top, action packed homage to Frank Hennenlotter’s Basket Case * (among others) has a pretty ridiculous script, but when all was said and done, there was never a dull moment, and I thought of it every day since I saw it, and I think I wanna see it again, so thumbs up! I’m not the biggest fan of James, I might have to say this is his best, even though we heckled the screen throughout.

Martyr’s Lane (2021) A sad, 10 year old preacher’s daughter is visited by a ghost girl, who gives her clues to find little trinkets that makes her uptight mother even more uptight. Fairly decent British ghost story.

I See You (2019) Helen Hunt stars as the mom of an unhappy family of three, who’s husband is the lead detective on a case of missing children. Some inexpiable things appear to happening in their house. Not bad at all once it all comes together.

Vigilante (1982) Robert Forster’s wife and child are brutally attacked by a street gang, but he has faith in the system…until a corrupt judge gives the killer a suspended sentence and throws him in jail for contempt. When he gets out he teams up with his co-worker, Fred “The Hammer” Williamson, for some street justice. Woody Strode saves Forster from prison rape for no particular reason, and Joe “Maniac” Spinell plays a sleazy lawyer. Bill Lustig (also “Maniac”) directs.

Alligator (1980) Robert Forster play a Chicago cop who's the first to spot the 40 foot long title monster in the subway, in this fun take of the "don't flush a baby alligator down the toilet" urban legend. Made when there already wasn't 500 other alligator movies, the highlight is when it crashes a snobby wedding party.

The Last Matinee (2020) South American homage to the giallo/slasher genre about a killer on the loose in a sparsely crowded movie theater on a rainy day. The main character is a college student who’s manning the projection booth for her sick father. Some fun kills, and overall pretty good, but I had ceiling-high hopes for this one. That’s my own fault. Some fun trivia, the film playing in the theater is Frankenstein: Day of the Beast from 2011, which was directed by the actor who plays the killer! In Spanish w/ subs.

H.P. Lovecraft’s Dagon (2001) Two couples vacationing on a yacht near a small Spanish village get shipwrecked and separated in a storm. They soon find the strange inhabitants of the town are all in different stages of mutating into fish-people, including the lovely, but fish-bottomed mermaid of the main character’s dreams. The main character wasn’t the most relatable, but there was plenty of slimy goodness, skin tearing, and nudity in this winner (and favorite of Troy McClure) from the great Stuart Gordon. I’d seen this once when it was a new release on VHS, so it was almost like seeing it for the first time!

Relentless (1989) Leo Rossi is a NY detective, new on the job in LA, and his partner, Robert Loggia can’t see eye to eye on how to catch a serial killer. The killer is Judd Nelson who picks names out of a phone book and dares the cops to catch him. He forces his victims to stab/strangle themselves, which led me to call him the “Why are you killing yourself? - Killer”. Meg Foster (They Live) is Rossi’s laid back California wife, in contrast to his angry New York persona. Directed by Bill “Maniac” Lustig, this one spawned three straight-to-video sequels.

Shudder Presents Elvira's 40th Anniversary, Very Scary, Very Special Special
Elvira's back with jokes and a marathon of four pretty good movies. A knock, if any, may be that there wasn't ENOUGH Elvira. Quick intros and outtros, and maybe one break during the movie. Ya get so used to Joe Bob breaking in every 15 minutes! She looked fantastic and it was great to see her again. Here's the movies:

Elvira, Mistress of the Dark (1988) Elvira leaves her horror hosting gig in Los Angeles to claim an inheritance from an unknown aunt in a small Massachusetts town with a history of witch burning, and incurs the wrath of the townsfolk, while endearing herself to the teenagers, and ramming as many dick and tit jokes as a PG-13 movie could possibly allow in 90 minutes. Funny and charming, and loaded with vaguely familiar character actors.

House on Haunted Hill (1961) Vincent Price plays a millionaire who offers five strangers $10,000 each to those brave enough to spend the night in a haunted house. William Castle was the master of gimmicks, and this film was presented in “Emergo” which turned out to mean that a plastic skeleton would drop from strings on the ceiling of the theater to scare (or not) movie patrons. It’s an OK movie, I’ve probably seen it too many times.

Horror Hotel aka City of the Dead (1960) Christopher Lee is a college professor sends a student to study witchcraft in a remote New England town where she becomes a target for a sacrifice. When she doesn't return, her loved ones go looking for her. Venetia Stevenson played the girl, she was super-hot. She was married to Don Everly and is the mom of model/Axel Rose wife, Erin Everly. Good movie! Black & White. The only movie that both The Clash and the Misfits have songs named after!

Messiah of Evil (1973) A young woman traces her artist father to his last known whereabouts, a semi-deserted California seaside town, where the townfolk come out after dark to eat human flesh. The gorgeous Anitra Ford gets eaten in a supermarket. A hippie girl gets it in a movie theater that starts out empty but is loaded with pale zombies only minutes after she sits (probably the film's visual highlight). The pretty Marianna Hill is the lead, she’s in dozens of things, the biggest is probably Fredo’s wife in Godfather 2. Really cool and creepy movie, reminiscent of Carnival of Souls but with blood, and written and directed by the same guy who brought Howard the Duck to the big screen!

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

I love House on Haunted Hill. So fun.

Watched Mars Attacks and now wish I could get that time back. Although, I keep saying ACK, ACK a lot now.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Mimi wrote:
01 Oct 2021, 10:52am
I love House on Haunted Hill. So fun.

Watched Mars Attacks and now wish I could get that time back. Although, I keep saying ACK, ACK a lot now.
I loved it at the time, probably wouldn't today.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
01 Oct 2021, 10:52am
I so wanted to love that. It looked so promising. Until actually watching the thing.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Am I the only one who gives a shit about the new Dune movie, coming out on Oct.22? For the last 15 years or more, I’ve searched “new Dune movie” on google every month or two, hoping the project would finally get moving. Haven’t looked forward to a movie as much as this since maybe Phantom Menace. I’m hoping to see it in the theater, but am a bit wary of seeing it in a crowd. They say fear is the mind killer, so I’ll probably just suck it up and go. Has anyone else here been going to see movies in theaters while the pandemic is still a thing?
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kimmelweck wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 12:08am
Am I the only one who gives a shit about the new Dune movie, coming out on Oct.22? For the last 15 years or more, I’ve searched “new Dune movie” on google every month or two, hoping the project would finally get moving. Haven’t looked forward to a movie as much as this since maybe Phantom Menace. I’m hoping to see it in the theater, but am a bit wary of seeing it in a crowd. They say fear is the mind killer, so I’ll probably just suck it up and go. Has anyone else here been going to see movies in theaters while the pandemic is still a thing?
Ive never read the book(s?). I attempted to watch the 1984 movie and was completely bored. Thus the prospect of a new one doesn't stir my loins much either. As for going to a movie theater or not I cant think of many that would get me going. I had to laugh that the new Venom movie is an only in theaters release. Yeah I'll voluntarily expose myself to covid to see Venom 2 or whatever the fuck its called.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

revbob wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 9:10am
Kimmelweck wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 12:08am
Ive never read the book(s?). I attempted to watch the 1984 movie and was completely bored. Thus the prospect of a new one doesn't stir my loins much either. As for going to a movie theater or not I cant think of many that would get me going. I had to laugh that the new Venom movie is an only in theaters release. Yeah I'll voluntarily expose myself to covid to see Venom 2 or whatever the fuck its called.
I loved the 1984 Dune when I saw it back then, age 12. David Lynch has basically disowned that movie because the producers cut so much footage out, to keep runtime short, that a lot of it makes no sense if you haven't read the book. The new film is supposed to be the first of two, covering the first half of the first book. It seems like it was made to be more accessible to those who aren’t already familiar with the story. I don’t plan on going to opening night, but if I can catch it later in the run when there are only 8-10 other people in the theater, that might be my best bet. Last movie I saw in a theater was in 2018. Colbert has had a few Dune cast members on in the last week or so and that has peaked my interest.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Cautiously interested in the new movie. I know it's problematic or w/e but I enjoyed the book and found Lynch's film interesting, if not actually good. I'm not, er, religious about Dune bit I am a fan for sure.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Flex wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 4:54pm
Cautiously interested in the new movie. I know it's problematic or w/e but I enjoyed the book and found Lynch's film interesting, if not actually good. I'm not, er, religious about Dune bit I am a fan for sure.
The cast of that 1984 movie was pretty awesome. I mean, I could do without shirtless Sting, but the rest were great. I guess I’ve just looked forward to a new Dune movie for so long I don’t want to miss it now that it’s finally happening, and I kinda miss the theater experience after the last couple years.

:mrgreen: Also, I’ve got this hanging on the wall at my desk:

FrankHerbert.jpg
FrankHerbert.jpg (139.45 KiB) Viewed 1611 times