movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: movies

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 8:31pm
Cool Hand Luke is on one of the movie channels right now. I don't think I wanna know someone who doesn't regard this as a perfect film.

(Also, our boy Luke is named after this film. When he showed up, he impressed me with how cool and unbothered he was to being in a house with two older, unpleasant cats. And then he engaged in a prison break, jumping out a second story window. Took away his nuts and his desire to roam disappeared.)
My eldest is named after that movie.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 5:49am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Cool Hand Luke is on one of the movie channels right now. I don't think I wanna know someone who doesn't regard this as a perfect film.

(Also, our boy Luke is named after this film. When he showed up, he impressed me with how cool and unbothered he was to being in a house with two older, unpleasant cats. And then he engaged in a prison break, jumping out a second story window. Took away his nuts and his desire to roam disappeared.)
I didn't know we had that connection! Great minds, etc etc.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 7:15am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

One of my favourite movies. As you said "a perfect film". Was on tv the day before Luke was born and I thought cool let's call him Luke. Luckily my partner liked it also. 😎

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 7:29am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

One of my favourite movies. As you said "a perfect film". Was on tv the day before Luke was born and I thought cool let's call him Luke. Luckily my partner liked it also. 😎
A better choice than Dragline or Babalugats.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 8:44am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Those two names just wouldn't work when he eats 50 hard-boiled eggs in one hour.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 1:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Those two names just wouldn't work when he eats 50 hard-boiled eggs in one hour.
Apparently Newman didn't eat a single egg for that extended scene. Rather, he ate a few and then made himself vomit in between takes. His swollen belly scenes were due to his ability to push out his gut on command.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 1:37pm
Marky Dread wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 1:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Apparently Newman didn't eat a single egg for that extended scene. Rather, he ate a few and then made himself vomit in between takes. His swollen belly scenes were due to his ability to push out his gut on command.
Yep allegedly he ate eight of the 200 hard boiled eggs cooked for the scene. With the crew eating the rest and stinking up the film set the following day.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I don't know exactly where to put this thought, but Wayne Knight is a guy I think I just kinda assumed was dead (from an OD probs) but it turns out he is still very much alive.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 12:50am
I don't know exactly where to put this thought, but Wayne Knight is a guy I think I just kinda assumed was dead (from an OD probs) but it turns out he is still very much alive.
Last time I saw him in anything, he'd lost a lot of weight, too.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 12:50am
For being probably morbidly obese 30 years ago, he’s done well for himself.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

heck yes, Cool Hand Luke is great! The remake starring Wayne Knight....it has its moments.

M3GAN (Unrated) (2022) I'm usually not sold on surprise box office hits, but this was great fun. As for the "unrated" edition, I hadn't seen the PG13 version so I have nothing to compare it to. There was blood, but nothing really over the top, then a handful of F-bombs. I though there was a famous dance scene that never happened? Anybody seen them both for comparison? (Peacock)

Wild Beasts - Belve Feroci (1984) Long before Yogi found a picnic basket fill of blow came this outrageous Italian animals attack flick. PCP finds its way into the City Zoo's water supply and soon the streets are full of bloodthristy lions and tigers, stampeding elephants and even a polar bear! Gore and nudity, this movie delivered the goods. Director Franco Prosperi was one of the three documentarians who made the all-time cult classic Mono Cane. (DVD)

Gamera (1965) Daiei studio's answer to Toho's Godzilla. Gamera has got to be one of the most absurd movie monsters of all time. He's a prehistoric turtle, but he walks on his hind legs. He has hands like a human, which he uses to catch and rescue small children. He eats fire, and when he retracts his appendages, jets shoot from the holes allowing him to spin and fly like a UFO. And he’s kind to children. In this introduction, he’s awakened by a nuclear blast in the arctic, and the military is stumped when fiery weapon attack just make him stronger. Leave it to a 10 year old to know the turtle just wants to mind his own business. I may have even preferred the Gamera franchise to Godzilla when I was a kid, but not really for this one, but the in color sequels that followed. (DVD)

1974: Le Possession de Altair (2016) Mexican found footage, shot on Super 8. A young married couple’s lives turn upside down when the wife shows signs of possession, and signs point to an incident in her childhood. Basic possession story? Sure, but a full length feature on Super 8 had a great aesthetic, and the ending was really cool. Good movie. (Theater/Alamo Drafthouse)

Zombi 4: After Death (1988) An unofficial Zombi sequel from Claudio Fragasso has the old fashioned Voodoo kind. A young woman accompanies a group of mercenaries to an island, only to unlock repressed memories that she escaped it as a child, when her parents were killed after their western medicine proved no match for good ol’ fashioned Voodoo. Outrageous, silly and gory. (TUBI)

The College Girl Murders (1967) A red-hooded monk with a bullwhip, a Bond-style villain with an alligator pit, a swimming pool with a peep window, a bible with a poison mist, this movie has a lot going for it, including comedy. This was a late-era “Krimi” the German genre that influenced Italian giallo, and the first one I’ve seen, though I’m guessing earlier ones are less campy. I will definitely be seeking out more. (TUBI)

Edge of the Axe (1988) A not bad little slasher/whodunnit filmed in Big Bear, California by the same Spanish born director of 1974’s Vampyres. When this came on the streaming services not too long ago I was confusing it with the video nasty Axe aka Lisa Lisa, otherwise I’d have watched it immediately! (SHUDDER)

Ebola Syndrome (1996) A loathsome Chinatown waiter, on the run from murders he committed in Taiwan, contracts Ebola from a tribeswoman he raped on her deathbed in South Africa, and spreads it to the customers when he spits in, and jerks off on menu items, some of which are made from ground humans that he killed. Gross for the sake of gross, from the same director and actor team that brought us The Eight Immortals Restaurant in 1993. (DVD)

A White Dress for Mariale (1972) It's the dress her mother was killed in 30 years ago and she wears it to a party, bullet holes intact...and she may not even be the craziest person there! With Ivan Rassimov, Luigi Pistilli, Evelyn Stewart, Pilar Velazquez. Very good giallo. (TUBI)

Nine Guests for a Crime (1977) A wonderfully sleazy Ten Little Indians-style late 70s giallo featuring bed-hopping and death threats during a millionaire family island vacation. Lots and lots of nudity. Great fun. (TUBI)
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
17 Mar 2023, 12:08pm
heck yes, Cool Hand Luke is great! The remake starring Wayne Knight....it has its moments.
This should never have happened

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

tepista wrote:
17 Mar 2023, 12:08pm

M3GAN (Unrated) (2022) I'm usually not sold on surprise box office hits, but this was great fun. As for the "unrated" edition, I hadn't seen the PG13 version so I have nothing to compare it to. There was blood, but nothing really over the top, then a handful of F-bombs. I though there was a famous dance scene that never happened? Anybody seen them both for comparison? (Peacock)

*****SPOIlERS*****

There was blood in the theater version (PG13). The dance scene was during her escape and meets the CEO in charge of her development as a toy in the hall. She chases him and does a dance before she kills him. I haven't scene the Peacock version.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Anyone seen The Outwaters? Because I'm old and cynical, I can't help but think that the Apple watch claims are just efforts at viral promo.
https://www.nme.com/news/film/the-outwa ... rs-3415975

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 8:02am
Anyone seen The Outwaters? Because I'm old and cynical, I can't help but think that the Apple watch claims are just efforts at viral promo.
https://www.nme.com/news/film/the-outwa ... rs-3415975
Imdb gives it a score of 4.4/10