movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: movies

Post by Dr. Medulla »

daredevil wrote:
14 Mar 2024, 10:27pm
I didn't see this one listed yet:
Serpico

The first time I watched it on TV it stuck with me for days.
That's a good one, too. Ages and ages since I've seen it.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Mar 2024, 6:28am
daredevil wrote:
Serpico

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Mar 2024, 6:28am
daredevil wrote:
Serpico

Yeah, saw this years ago and it made a big impression on me at the time. Rewatched a couple of years back and still packed a punch.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Petey Wheatstraw: The Devil’s Son-in-Law (1977) In exchange for marrying Lou Cipher's ugly daughter, a stand-up comedian gets a 2nd chance at life and revenge against the night club owners that murdered him. This horror-comedy is probably Rudy Ray Moore’s (Dolemite) most watchable film. Rat soup eating motherfuckers Leroy & Skillet play the villains. (FreeVee, TUBI, etc)

War of the Colossal Beat (1958) I'd probably seen Bert I Gordon's drive-on classic anbout an atomic blast that turns and army guy into a giant and it's predecessor, Amazing Colossal Man a half dozen times each by the time I was 10. This was the Svengoolie/METVshowing. The movie itself in an hour and 9 minutes, and 10 of that is flashback! (cable)

Monster of the Opera aka Vampire of the Opera (1964) A theater troupe finds a new home in a run down playhouse, you know, the one where an actress mysteriously disappears every few years.They find themselves trapped inside with a vampire! From the future director of Delirium. Lots of girls, I loved it. (TUBI)

Terror-Creatures From the Grave (1965) or it's much better Italian title, 5 tombe per un medium Plagues, curses, living severed hands, they're all here. Barbara Steele takes a bath. From Massimo "Bloody Pit" Pupillo. Very poor quality prints out there in streamville. (TUBI)

Repo Man (1984) A radioactive Chevy Malibu with a $20,000 bounty is sought after by many in Alex Cox's cult-punk-LA-SciFi classic with Emilio Estevez, Harry Dean Stanton and a kick ass soundtrack. (DVD)

To Live and Die in LA (1985) An out of control secret service agent will stop at nothing to bring down the counterfeiting ring that killed his partner in William Friedkin's cheesier-than-expected action thriller. With Willem Dafoe, the dude from Manhunter, and a lot of Wang Chung songs. (DVD)

Blood Simple (1984) The Cohen Brothers sweaty, low budget debut about a Texas murder-for-hire gone wrong. M. Emmet Walsh steals the show. Good stuff. (MAX)

The Heroin Busters (1977) Fabio Testi (Solange) goes deep undercover in Enzo Castellari's crime drama. The title is pretty self-explanatory. With David Hemmings (Deep Red) and a great GOBLIN score! (ARROW)

Bandidos (1967) A crippled sharpshooter trains a protege to seek revenge against the outlaw that took away his livelihood by shooting his hands. This spaghetti western was the directorial debut for Massimo (What Have You Done to Solange?) Dallamano, who had been cinematographer in the first 2 films of the Leone/Eastwood trilogy. (ARROW)

Made it through 18 minutes of Dark Harvest (2023) Not for me.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
15 Mar 2024, 1:09pm
Blood Simple (1984) The Cohen Brothers sweaty, low budget debut about a Texas murder-for-hire gone wrong. M. Emmet Walsh steals the show. Good stuff. (MAX)
I remember the fantastic tag line on a poster: "Dead in the heart of Texas."
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

gkbill wrote:
15 Mar 2024, 2:31pm
Hello,

Repo Man is a classic!
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Anyone seen the new Dune movies? I missed seeing Dune 1 in the theatre in 2021, but I watched it on DVD a couple times, and then went yesterday to our local AMC theatre for Dune 2 with my parents. I'm a huge Dune fan, and after waiting decades for a remake, I wasn't disappointed. I actually love the 1984 David Lynch film for its weirdness, but these new movies blow the 1984 version away. It's a story that really benefits from the modern CGI treatment, as well as being spread over two movies.

My only real complaint was the 2 assholes sitting behind us who talked for the first 45 minutes of the movie like they were in a fucking coffee shop, even after I turned around, leaned over the back of my seat, and glared at them for about 20 seconds. :naughty: I was extremely pissed off and was very close to going back and punching one or both of them in the head but my Mom grabbed my arm and whispered "no, don't!" So I didn't. Anyway, it's only playing at our local theatre for a few more days, so I'm thinking about going to see it a second time early this week. Maybe I can find a show time where I'm the only one in the theatre.
Shoot straight for once, you Army pukes. - Lt. Col. Andrew Tanner, USAF

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Let us know if you ever need one of us to come bail you out of jail, K. ;)

I actually just saw Dune 1 for the first time last night. It's been years since I read the book but I liked the book then and I liked the movie last night. It felt epic and compelling. It set up the fall of House Areides well and introduced the characters and concepts needed for part 2 pretty effectively.

I look forward to the sequel, although realistically I probably won't see it until it's on streaming.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Flex wrote:
17 Mar 2024, 10:37pm
Let us know if you ever need one of us to come bail you out of jail, K. ;)
Thanks buddy. Luckily, Ma Kimmelweck (not for the first time) probably kept me from spending a night in the slammer. :mrgreen:

(Seriously though, we really should have an IMCT bail fund. :shifty: )
Flex wrote:
17 Mar 2024, 10:37pm
I actually just saw Dune 1 for the first time last night. It's been years since I read the book but I liked the book then and I liked the movie last night. It felt epic and compelling. It set up the fall of House Areides well and introduced the characters and concepts needed for part 2 pretty effectively.

I look forward to the sequel, although realistically I probably won't see it until it's on streaming.
If you get a chance to go, it's one of those movies that just looks great on the big screen.
Shoot straight for once, you Army pukes. - Lt. Col. Andrew Tanner, USAF

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I want to like Dune, but I've tried to read the book and tried to watch the first movie, but wound up tuning out after a while on both of them. I'm not sure what I'm missing because it seems like something I should be into. The more I thought about it the only thing I could come up with was that I was expecting sci-fi and got fantasy instead—may be worth trying again with that lens.

After reading Judd Apatow's Sick in the Head (a really inspiring and thoughtful book on the nature of creativity, perseverance in the face of failure, and pure dumb luck) and reading about his reverence for James L. Brooks, I recently watched Broadcast News and Terms of Endearment, both of which I liked. Not a lot of sandworms in either of them, though.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Kory wrote:
18 Mar 2024, 2:12pm
I want to like Dune, but I've tried to read the book and tried to watch the first movie, but wound up tuning out after a while on both of them. I'm not sure what I'm missing because it seems like something I should be into. The more I thought about it the only thing I could come up with was that I was expecting sci-fi and got fantasy instead—may be worth trying again with that lens.

After reading Judd Apatow's Sick in the Head (a really inspiring and thoughtful book on the nature of creativity, perseverance in the face of failure, and pure dumb luck) and reading about his reverence for James L. Brooks, I recently watched Broadcast News and Terms of Endearment, both of which I liked. Not a lot of sandworms in either of them, though.
Broadcast News is one of my favorite movies.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

JennyB wrote:
18 Mar 2024, 2:34pm
Kory wrote:

I'm a big Albert Brooks fan already, so it was 1/3 of the way to me liking it automatically, but the rest of it turned out to be great too.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
18 Mar 2024, 2:34pm
Kory wrote:

Albert Brooks' sweating scene is painful as hell to watch (but in a good way).

ohsoso
Dirty Punk

Post by ohsoso »

Kory wrote:
this adaptation would have been a real mind-fuck and awesome in every single way.