movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: movies

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
28 Oct 2022, 4:15pm
Watched The VVitch as I do every year and it continues to be in the running for top movies ever.
agreed - love it
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Flex wrote:
28 Oct 2022, 4:22pm
Kory wrote:
28 Oct 2022, 4:15pm
Watched The VVitch as I do every year and it continues to be in the running for top movies ever.
agreed - love it
yeah, I like the Vuh Vitch too
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Tep, have you checked out saloum? I thought it was a banger.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Flex wrote:
28 Oct 2022, 6:51pm
Tep, have you checked out saloum? I thought it was a banger.
No, I saw it on the list on SHUDDER. It's hard to navigate the SHUDDER exclusives/originals, they all get high praise on their release week, as obviously they're gonna pick and choose what blurbs to post on social. But if you say so I will check it for sure!

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Deadstream (2022) A vlogger live streams his haunted house adventure, which of course, goes south. I just hated the lead and the whole vlogging premise, but if you hang around long enough, there’s some very cool visuals in the last half hour or so. I’ve heard this drawing comparisons to Evil Dead 2, far too little action for me to agree with that. I didn’t hate it overall, mainly because of the good ending, but unlikely I’d watch it again. (SHUDDER)

Hellraiser (2022) An addict who never brushes her hair finds the infamous puzzle box, releases the cenobites and puts herself and her friends in danger in David Bruckner’s reboot of Clive Barker’s classic. Good costumes and effects, and a pretty exciting finish, but jeez, that whole fucking cast of protagonists were really hard to root for. The brother with his “I love you, I love you, get out of my house at 3am.” I’m probably more disappointed in the hype than the movie itself, but if I ever revisit it, it wouldn’t be for several years. (HULU)

Manhattan Baby (1982) An archeologist releases an evil Egyptian spirit, which makes him blind and possesses his daughter back in New York. I understand Lucio Fulci had funding pulled on this mid-shoot, and it shows. A good gore scene with taxidermed birds is the highlight, but not a lot more than that. (TUBI)

The Green Slime (1968) Japanese directed Sci-Fi with a mostly American cast, some Italian cheesecake and a hilarious psychedelic rock theme song. 90’s crap-blockbuster Armageddon owes its plot to the first part of this film, as an asteroid headed towards earth is thwarted by a team who lands on it and blows it up. Unfortunately the crew inadvertently brought back a slimy green material to the space station that eventually grows into an army of one eyed, trash can-shaped monsters with long, flailing tentacles that feed off electricity, and quickly start killing off crew members. The human element is a love triangle between two tough guys and the sexy Italian doctor (Luciana Paluzzi, who I couldn’t take my eyes off). Lots of toy spaceships and the silly looking creatures supply the laughs. Director Kinji Fukasaku would direct over 60 features in his career, none greater than 2000’s Battle Royale, when he was 70 years old! (TCM/Cable)

Freeway (1988) Not to be confused with the 1996 classic, this one features Billy Zane as a psycho who phones a radio psychologist (Richard Belzer) and reads from the bible as he shoots randos on Los Angeles freeways from the window of his Lincoln Continental. A nurse whose husband was killed in a similar incident does some amateur sleuthing. I was just getting my license around this time in Los Angeles, and though I don’t remember the movie, fear of freeway shootings were absolutely a concern at the time! Not bad for a movie I only just heard of and watched really quick before I changed my mind and forgot about it! (YouTube)

Danse Macabre aka Castle of Blood (1964) Edgar Alan Poe and another guy bet a non-ghost-believing writer he won't stay a night in a haunted mansion. Yes, Edgar Alan Poe is a character in the movie. Well the journalist has sex with Barbara Steele, so he wins the bet no matter what happens, but he soon finds out she's been dead for 10 years, as are the other inhabitants of the castle. Pretty cool ghost flick, I'd recommend for fans of Black Sunday. Directed by Antonio Margheriti.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Is there nobody better to play a radio psychologist than Belzer or what? Perfect casting.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

JennyB wrote:
30 Oct 2022, 10:22am
Is there nobody better to play a radio psychologist than Belzer or what? Perfect casting.
the end credits were just him insulting idiot callers, it was funny.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Occhiali Neri aka Dark Glasses (2022) Blinded in an auto accident, a prostitute must protect an orphaned boy and herself from a psycho in 82 year-old Dario Argento’s first film in 10 years. Likeable characters, and good kill scenes, I enjoyed every minute of it, and would watch it again. (SHUDDER)

Halloween Ends (2022) I like that they did something else with it, I give it a thumbs up. Don’t blink or you’ll miss Darcy’s cameo. (Peacock)

The Horrible Dr. Hitchcock (1962) What’s so horrible about him? Well, he only gets stiff for stiffs is one thing. Barbara Steele is the second wife of the title character, living under the shadow of the first, a la Rebecca. The first was killed when the horrible accidentally OD’d her on a dose of something that would give her the appearance of death, as that was his kink. Pretty cool Italian gothic from director Richard Freda. (YouTube)

The Ghost (1963) Barbara Steele and her doctor boyfriend kill her husband, who was experimenting on himself for a cure for his paralysis. The boyfriend moves in and the new couple seems to be haunted by the ghost of the deceased, while running around on wild goose chase looking for a missing fortune. Another Italian gothin effort from Richard Freda, a semi-sequel to his Horrible Dr. Hicthcock. (TUBI)

Goke, Body Snatcher from Hell (1968) The survivors of a plane crash encounter a blob-like space alien who take over bodies and turn their victims into bloodsucking vampires. The soap opera-type characters include a sleazy politician, a businessman and his slutty wife, an American war widow, the heroic airplane crew, etc. Like the Day the Earth Stood Still, Plan 9, and countless others, the aliens inform the humans that due to their violent nature they brought this attack upon themselves. In Japanese with subtitles. (TCM/Cable)

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 7:06pm
The Horrible Dr. Hitchcock (1962) What’s so horrible about him? Well, he only gets stiff for stiffs is one thing
Fucking kink shaming! :angry:
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

tepista wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 7:04pm
One of my biggest peeves.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Prey For The Devil (2022)A nun (Jaqueline Byers) sits in on exorcism classes against the wishes of staff members, since these classes are for priests only. The instructor senses she has the ability to help people who are possessed and decides to train her. Frightening events start to happen and Ann must deal with these disturbing new visions and old memories of her mother who was possessed when she was a child. 3 out of 5 stars imho. Worth seeing at the theater. Some good jump scares, but I figured out the twist before the reveal.
Last edited by daredevil on 04 Nov 2022, 1:07am, edited 1 time in total.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

tepista wrote:
Halloween Ends (2022) I like that they did something else with it, I give it a thumbs up. Don’t blink or you’ll miss Darcy’s cameo. (Peacock)

We saw this at the theater. I thought it was great and don't understand all the negative reviews. There's a Youtube video where two fans discuss the original ending. I'm glad they cut it out.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

daredevil wrote:
03 Nov 2022, 11:03pm
Prey For The Devil (2022)A nun (Jaqueline Byers) sits in on exorcism classes against the wishes of staff members, since these classes are for priests only. The instructor senses she has the ability to help people who are possessed and decides to train her. Frightening events start to happen and Ann must deal with these disturbing new visions and old memories of her mother who was possessed when she was a child. 3 out of 5 stars imho. Worth seeing at the theater. Some good jump scares, but I figured out the twist before the reveal.
I'll check it, but more likely on home video. Is this set in modern? Do they still have nuns? I've never seen one in real life.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

daredevil wrote:
03 Nov 2022, 11:09pm
tepista wrote:
We saw this at the theater. I thought it was great and don't understand all the negative reviews. There's a Youtube video where two fans discuss the original ending. I'm glad they cut it out.
I think people don't like that it's a Halloween movie that barely has Michael Myers. It's one thing if it was a stand alone, but it's the third part of a trilogy and they introduce this new character and make him the focal point? Nah, I thought it was bafflingly bad.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.