movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: movies

Post by Flex »

Heston wrote:
27 May 2019, 8:29am
Has anyone seen The Green Room? Punk band who witness a murder get hunted down by Neo-Nazis? Was thinking of watching it tonight but the reviews veer from brilliant to shite with nothing in between.
I really liked it.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Flex wrote:
27 May 2019, 9:51am
Heston wrote:
Has anyone seen The Green Room? Punk band who witness a murder get hunted down by Neo-Nazis? Was thinking of watching it tonight but the reviews veer from brilliant to shite with nothing in between.
I really liked it.
Yeah, very good.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

revbob wrote:
27 May 2019, 9:13am
Heston wrote:
I enjoyed it alright. Been a few years but I would put it at 6 or 7 out of 10. So for me that's in between. I don't remember anything that I'd be critical of other than the obvious. Interesting character turn for Patrick Stewart.

I'm pretty sure there is a Tep review
Green Room (2015) A travelling punk band playing a small show inadvertently witness a murder, and are trapped inside a club by neo-nazis. With no indication that police are on the way, they must fight their way out, an undesirable task. Extremely violent. Nice to see punks as the protagonists (as well as antagonists) instead of shitty trendy millenials for once! With Anton Yelchin (Odd Thomas, Burying the Ex) and the always great Patrick Stewart. Recommended.

I kinda wanna watch it again, it's been a few years
reviews veer from brilliant to shite with nothing in between.
It's brutally and graphically violent, so if you're into that stuff, ya know.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Bankrobber
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Bankrobber »

I watched it on Netflix pretty recently. I quite liked it.
I'm so punk, I don't even take my leather jacket off when it catches fire. Which it does frequently, because of how fucking punk I am.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Saw it about 2 years ago, pretty brutal but good film.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

The Perfection (2019) Two lesbian cello players go on a little adventure that takes some twists and turns and a lot of violence. I don’t want to give it away. The first 3rd of the movie had me on the edge of my seat, then the plot got a bit farfetched, but I enjoyed it. Definitely worth a one time watch. The younger cello player, the one who was not Allison Williams, was cute as heck.

Happy Death Day 2 U (2019) Unneeded sequel the the surprise 2017 hit. Our heroine wakes up in her same “Groundhog Day” loop that she escaped in the first film, and this time traces it back to quantum physics or something. The comedy that worked in the first film was flat here. I was only 15 minutes in when I realized I couldn’t wait for it to end. The girl's cuteness might have been enough to carry a thin plot the first time around, but it hit the end quick this time.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) Mothra, Rodan, and Ghidorah join the party in the latest mega-budget version of Godzilla. The fight scenes were great. I really don’t think Kaju films should be 2 hours and 12 minutes. I had a good time, but I suspect this won’t be as good on a small screen. Coach Taylor, Mrs. Bates, Eleven, the Get Out Dad, and the Fish-Fucker from Shape of Water play the humans. Michael Dougherty (Trick ‘r Treat, Krampus) directs. The Godzilla March, The Mothra Theme, and several other renewed pieces of music show up in the end credits, even a bad cover Blue Oyster Cult's "Godzilla"

The Ranger (2018) A cute punk chick takes her friends to her broken down cabin in the woods to escape the law where they run afoul of a deranged park ranger. Some gore, some drug use, not particularly likable characters except the main girl, Chloe Levine, who was also in the fantastic urban vampire pic The Transfiguration in 2016. This one didn’t really hit the mark though. Soundtrack by a bunch of bands I never heard of, then two from S.F.’s The Avengers.

The Mansion of Madness (1973) From the director of Alucarda, I was expecting much more of a horrific look at inmates taking over an asylum, but this was far too whimsical for my taste. There was violence and death, but it was mostly role playing and “Look at me, I’m Napoleon!” Some nudity. I’d say skip it

Maniac Mansion (1972) Several groups of unrelated travelers get lost in the fog and end up in a mansion where the former owner was a witch, and then the killings start. Kind of like a gothy-giallo, but not graphically violent, and no nudity, though there were several opportunities for each. This one fell flat.

The Last Drive-In with Joe Bob Briggs: Week 7
Contamination (1980)
Italian Alien-inspired gorefest, where big ugly green eggs explode, and if the juice gets on a human, they explode too. One of the original Video Nastys, the gore is pretty good, but no nudity and a hard to follow plot. I seem to catch this once every 15 years or so, I may have enjoyed it most this time around, thanks to Joe Bob.
A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (2014) In a city filled with drugs and prostitution, a young man meets a vampire-chick on a skateboard in, if I'm not mistaken, the first Iranian-language horror film. Arash is in debt to a scumbag drug dealer/pimp because of his father’s habit. When he finds the pimp murdered (by vampire, of course) he steals the drugs and sells them, hoping to live in style for a change, despite his nature of being a goody two-shoes. Cute movie. Not completely unlike, though not as good as Let the Right One In. In black & white with subtitles.
Bonnie & Clyde vs Dracula (2008) Bonnie & Clyde shoot a buncha people. They end up in the mansion of a deformed doctor with a hood over his face who has revived Dracula in order to use his blood to cure his condition. Then they versus each other. Nudity? Tifanny Shepis was Bonnie so, yes. Bad, but not unwatchable.

The Last Drive-In with Joe Bob Briggs: Week 8
The Stuff (1985)
Americans can't get enough of the Stuff, the addictive desert item that ends up mind-controlling anyone who eats it. Young Jason defies his family by NOT eating it after he's sees it move in the refrigerator. Why he saw it move and 50 million other people didn't is beyond me. Director Larry Cohen employs his favorite actor once again, Michael Moriarty is a "industrial saboteur" hired by Big Ice Cream to get to the bottom of it, and he quickly finds that there's something wrong as well. Also with Garret Morris, Paul Sorvino and Danny Aiello.
Street Trash (1987) A liquor store owner finds a case of cheap booze that’s been sitting around for 60 years, and sells them for a buck apiece to the local bums. It’s poison and whoever drinks melts and/or explodes in an instant. The protagonist was a bit hard to root for, and most of the second act centered around an unpleasant gang rape, but the end had so many people exploding it’s hard not to be a fan. I loved this one as a teenager. It’s been decades, my love isn’t quite as strong, but still a good watch. What I did NOT know is that director Jim Muro ended up being a camera operator on more 100 million dollar movies than you could possibly imagine.

The Last Drive-In with Joe Bob Briggs: Week 9
Blood Harvest (1987)
With the exception of the Japanese movie, Joe Bob showed one I had never seen before. Novelty singer Tiny Tim, whose popularity peaked in the late 1960s, plays a mentally disturbed man who dresses and acts like a clown. When Jill returns from college she finds her parents missing. Her parents happen to be the least popular people in town, as they are the bankers who have foreclosed half the farms in the area. Some people die, Jill takes her clothes off over and over, who’s the killer, and so forth. I actually thought it was pretty entertaining, nothing I’d care to see twice.
Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II (1987) In 1957, Mary Lou Maloney was the wildest girl at Hamilton High. She drinks and smokes, curses during confessional, and sleeps around, except not with her prom date, Billy. He throws a “stink bomb” during her prom queen coronation, but she catches fire because sluts are highly flammable. None of the dozens of people standing two feet from her lend a hand and she burns to death in front of everyone. That was the first ten minutes. In 1987, Billy is now the principal of Hamilton High. Vickie is a student whose mother won’t let her buy a new prom dress, so she gets creative and puts some things together that she finds in the wardrobe room at school. Somehow, and don’t ask me how, this releases the vengeful spirit of Mary Lou, who violently takes out Vickie’s friends and enemies, some of whom dress like Boy George, though again, I’m not quite sure what they did to piss off Mary Lou. By the time prom rolls around, Mary Lou is in complete control, and has a Carrie-inspired killfest. In addition to Carrie, the filmmakers also “borrow” from Elm Street and Exorcist, in fun spirit. And top that off with some surprise nudity, well over an hour in to the run time, we get an extended, no-clothes, locker-room chase scene! A sequel in name only, this 80s cheesefest outshines its predecessor.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Because I'm reading Lisa Duggan's Rand book, I decided to dl The Fountainhead. I'll probably watch it tomorrow morning. Expect me to be fully converted by 8 am.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 3:30pm
Because I'm reading Lisa Duggan's Rand book, I decided to dl The Fountainhead. I'll probably watch it tomorrow morning. Expect me to be fully converted by 8 am.
doc's about to really get into that train jo guy
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 3:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 3:30pm
doc's about to really get into that train jo guy
Still one of my favourite cartoons.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Holy crap, The Fountainhead is an amazing movie. Everyone speaks in bold declaratives with abrupt endings, not quite stentorian but close. They strike dramatic poses. They do things in ways that let the audience know that they are acting. Subtlety and nuance, you've met your bleach. So much 2x4-between-the-eyes symbolism, but this final one, a triumphant Howard Roark on top of his skyscraper, is perfect:

Seriously, if you've never seen it, do so. It's libertarian emo.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 2:56pm
The Perfection (2019) Two lesbian cello players go on a little adventure that takes some twists and turns and a lot of violence. I don’t want to give it away. The first 3rd of the movie had me on the edge of my seat, then the plot got a bit farfetched, but I enjoyed it. Definitely worth a one time watch. The younger cello player, the one who was not Allison Williams, was cute as heck.
I came across this on Netflix recently while dealing with another bout of insomnia. About halfway thru I was cured. I'll watch the second half the next time I'm having trouble sleeping.

Like you said the early part was pretty good and the sexy time between the two stars was definitely nice. It turns out there was tremendous hype about this movie where people were allegedly getting sick from watching it. I guess its possible but only maybe if you have a weak constitution.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

revbob wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 9:26am
tepista wrote:
I came across this on Netflix recently while dealing with another bout of insomnia. About halfway thru I was cured. I'll watch the second half the next time I'm having trouble sleeping.

Like you said the early part was pretty good and the sexy time between the two stars was definitely nice. It turns out there was tremendous hype about this movie where people were allegedly getting sick from watching it. I guess its possible but only maybe if you have a weak constitution.
The whole bit up until and through the bus ride incident was great, I thought. Then the plot just went nuts after that.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 12:34pm
revbob wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 9:26am
tepista wrote:

The whole bit up until and through the bus ride incident was great, I thought. Then the plot just went nuts after that.
Agreed,.... if you can guarantee more nudity I'll power thru it sonner rather than later.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The Boss is watching The Godfather right now and I wondered how many Hollywood executives have on their wishlist a plan to reboot it as The Godfather: The Next Generation? Put it in the present day, cybercrime, drug running, CGI explosions. Like The Sopranos but severely glossed up and utterly awful.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 5:35pm
The Boss is watching The Godfather right now and I wondered how many Hollywood executives have on their wishlist a plan to reboot it as The Godfather: The Next Generation? Put it in the present day, cybercrime, drug running, CGI explosions. Like The Sopranos but severely glossed up and utterly awful.
I'd put my life savings on it being just around the corner.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc